The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2007, 03:25 AM   #1
dirty habit

139g corelokts in 7mm

Im loading up for my 7/08, just got some corelokts today and not sure if they "look" right? Theyre about 23mm long which is just under an inch and when i seat them to be just off the lands, the cartridge overall is 63mm which from what i can gather is quite short for a 7/08 round?
Im also using corelokts 139g in my 6.5x55 and they look completely different to these. The 7mm looks more like a round nose with a lot more lead showing up front.
Just wanted to see if this is the way it is or not? Normally when i find something "different" i tend to stop befor i get too far and make sure im on the right track!
Cheers
Old April 8, 2007, 03:14 PM   #2
williamd

Certainly the two calibres will looks a somewhat different to get the same weight into bullets of different diameters. 6.5 will necessarily be longer. If in doubt take the box back to the shop and ask to compare with others .. the packaging could (remote) get hosed.

Bullet manufacturers usually publish (hardback or web) data that includes pictures. Hornady is great for this data ... on their bullets, of course. Speer is okay. ... Sierra and Winchester are okay.
Old April 8, 2007, 07:37 PM   #3
lockedcj7

I've reloaded some Rem. PSPCL in 7mm-08 and here's what I came up with.
They are seated to the cannelure, not .03 from the rifling as I normally would. (I was loading them for plinking and wasn't looking for best accuracy)
2.790 inches OAL on reloads (70.866mm)
2.785 inches OAL on factory loads (70.739mm)

I'd be willing to bet that your bullets are the round-nosed style often found in the 7x57. Mine have an ogive more like other modern spire-point bullets.

If anything, all the core-lokt bullets I have seen have less exposed lead at the tip than any other soft-point I have reloaded. Certainly less than Win. Power-Point, Sierra GameMaster, and Nosler Partitions in the same caliber.