The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 28, 2020, 10:50 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

I've just tried IDPA!

So there was recently a bit of a scandal in our small IPSC community. One club was ejected from the league. The reasons given may be the reasons why, or it may have been significantly more political. I, a lowly shooter, am in no position to comment with authority.

However, every cloud...

The club in question was IPSC's second largest and did put on good matches IMHO.

Needless to say they had to adapt if they were to remain in business and it seems they decided to be the first IDPA club.

So today was classifications and I'll see how I got on in a few days when the results are up and which class I'm in.

Please don't let it be novice!
Please don't let it be novice!
Old November 28, 2020, 12:13 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Alpha Shooting Club in Tallinn? Google says the latest of three.

You will find IDPA courses of fire to be more prescriptive than IPSC, less choice in how to proceed, fewer opportunities to outsmart the course designer.

You will find IDPA to emphasize accuracy. Time Plus scoring with a second added to your time for every "point down" makes a -1 hit on the target more of a liability than a C hit.

Did you shoot the one target - 25 round Classifier or the three target - 72 round Classifier? (The original Classifier was three targets - 90 rounds but it was considered time consuming and boring, so it was shortened to 72, then the really quick 5X5 added as an option that nearly all ranges here choose.)
Old November 28, 2020, 12:44 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Alpha it is.

72 round with pistol, and then 25 for revolver (time was against them, and therefore me!)
Old November 28, 2020, 12:48 PM   #4
Pond, James Pond

I could well see myself doing IDPA for pistol and IPSC for rifle and split it that way.
Old November 28, 2020, 02:04 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

There is such a thing as IDPA because some of the early players of IPSC didn't like the way the game was being run. There are club members everywhere who rarely shoot but want to be in charge. They're both just shooting games that "lowly shooters" can play 'em both because it's fun. And not worry about who says or does what.
"...don't let it be novice..." Don't worry about that either. You do not have to be good at anything to have fun doing it.
Old November 28, 2020, 03:07 PM   #6
RickB

Without lowly shooters, there would be no shooting sports.
When I was something of an authority figure, and people would approach me about starting a new club, I'd say, "Having a place to shoot is a plus, but an absolute requirement is having enough help."
Old November 29, 2020, 08:19 AM   #7
MisterCrabby

IDPA is really fun and the people you shoot with are great. It does emphasize defensive carry principles like drawing from concealment and shooting from cover using basic tactical priority. Therefore, the earlier poster is correct that it’s a bit more rulesy. The round count is roughly 1/3 of USPSA.

I’ve been doing it for about 4 years. Been a certified safety officer for two. I play less golf and shoot more!

Come on out and try it.
Old November 29, 2020, 10:15 AM   #8
Jim Watson

Agreed. And I don't play golf at all. One expensive hobby is enough.
Although is it one hobby when I shoot IDPA and USPSA with history in BPCR, F-T/R, IHMSA, PPC, and ATA?
Old November 29, 2020, 01:54 PM   #9
zincwarrior

Rules are somewhat different BUT, if you like IPSC you can set up many similar stages. Take advantage of that but also IDPA stages.
Old December 1, 2020, 02:30 AM   #10
Pond, James Pond

Novice.... in both SSP and REV.

I was faster than most at the classifier but not as accurate on the target areas.

In IPSC I would normally shoot accurately, lots of alphas but I'm slow. Here, I went for speed but accuracy suffered.

Either way I have a lot of practice to do!!
Old December 1, 2020, 10:30 PM   #11
MisterCrabby

As the saying goes you can’t shoot fast enough to make up points down. If I’m in the bottom half in a stage it’s usually due to screwing up the execution of my plan or procedural penalties, rather than lack of speed/accuracy. But the main thing for me is be safe and have fun.
Old December 2, 2020, 02:33 AM   #12
Pond, James Pond

Well, I had fun.

And I'm not staggered at my classification. I've had neither time nor money to go training much this year, compounded by the summer lockdown that closed all ranges.

So in essence these results are from my baseline, unrefined shooting abilities: I never thought of myself as a born talent and I was a "late developer" with shooting only starting in my mid thirties!!
Old December 2, 2020, 09:14 AM   #13
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
Novice.... in both SSP and REV.

I was faster than most at the classifier but not as accurate on the target areas.

In IPSC I would normally shoot accurately, lots of alphas but I'm slow. Here, I went for speed but accuracy suffered.

Either way I have a lot of practice to do!!
Yes, IDPA modified itself about two years ago (IIRC) so that misses are more important. Since I diversified into steel and USPSA my accuracy has gone down but speed up.

You people that are both fast and accurate...thats just unnatural!
Old December 2, 2020, 09:24 AM   #14
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
You people that are both fast and accurate...thats just unnatural!
By that standard, I can safely claim to be very, very, very natural.
Old December 2, 2020, 10:33 AM   #15
zincwarrior

In age of ammunition shortages, dry firing helps. There are also tools that will help your dry firing: bore lasers, recoil simulators. However, I am sure you are already aware of those.
Old January 3, 2021, 06:17 AM   #16
WESHOOT2

I shot 41 Action Express at my first IDPA match.
It is "Execution as specified".
USPSA is "Determination, then execute".
A33102
Old January 3, 2021, 10:12 AM   #17
Frisco

A club being political, or an "old boys club"?

The heck you say?

That never (insert eye roll here) happens.

Still, don't let it put you off. IDPA is a fun game to play when there is no USPSA match to shoot.
Old January 27, 2021, 09:01 PM   #18
Frisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
I shot 41 Action Express at my first IDPA match.
It is "Execution as specified".
USPSA is "Determination, then execute".
A33102
I had a 41AE back in the day. I never used it in competition or carried it though. I bought it as a fluke because it came with 7 boxes of ammo for $350. It was one of the old IMI Mini Eagles IIRC, maybe they called it the Jericho back then too. It was back in 92 or 93.

I still shoot a 40 in USPSA and in IDPA, mostly because I cast a 135gr LRNFP and load it over 4gr of TiteGroup for about 800fps. It takes down poppers and plates nicely and feels like you're shooting a 38 with wadcutters.

Ahhhhh....nostalgia.