The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2001, 01:31 AM   #1
Big Ken

Info needed !

Hey guys, gonna try my hand at duck hunting this year but only have an old single shot 12ga. with full choke, can you shoot steel shot thru a full choke ? I'm gettin conflicting stories on this, also I found a mossberg 500 12 ga 28" barrel 2 3/4" & 3" chambered. vent rib etc. would this be a good duck gun ? excellent cond. $165.00

thanks for any responses.
Old September 23, 2001, 06:12 AM   #2
Leafy

Depnds on how "full" the "full" choke is. Different manufactures over the years have different ideas about what consitutes full (or modified, etc). That being said the answer is probably not. Lead shot goes through the constriction pricess of the choke more easily than the harder steel shot. Not only can that be hard on the shotgun but can also result in a "blown" pattern. My understanding is that overly constricted steel shot rebounds off of itself as it leaves the barrel resulting and a pattern that is like a rapidly expanding doughnut with lots of big gaps in the pattern.

To add even more to the mix, since steel shot is harder and the pellets retain their shape better the shot needs less constriction than lead for an equivelent choke pattern. For example, a modified (or even improved cylinder) choked gun with steel may produce as tight a pattern as a fulled choked gun with lead.

A Moss 500 is a fine shotgun to begin with. As your experience with hunting increases you may decide you want something with more frills or in a semiauto or you may decide that 500 is all you'll ever need.
Old September 23, 2001, 08:06 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'd stick to light field loads and no mags nor steel shot for that old timer. Depending on what you know of its history, any older shotgun should be gone over carefully by a decent smith before firing.Shotguns and grenades have about the same working pressures.

At the same time, these oldsters make great take along guns for hikes through the woods and low stress hunting.

The 500's not my personal choice, but it's a good,sound design that many folks like and use very effectively.

HTH.....
Old September 23, 2001, 08:50 AM   #4
Big Ken

Thanks for the help guys, I'll stay away from the steel shot with my old gun (bought about 25 yrs. ago) which means no duck hunting with it cause I believe the law dictates steel shot for duck. gonna take a closer look at that mossberg, forgot to mention it has a modified choke, will that work ?
Thanks
Old September 23, 2001, 02:20 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Modified's what I use, tho I'm no hardcore waterfowler.

TTTs are my current load of choice,but I may bite the bullet and get some alternative non-toxic stuff this year. Steel, even in shoulder buster loads, leaves me underwhelmed.