The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 27, 2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Webleymkv

Bill to change CC regulations passes TX legislature

Good news for our friends in Texas, the state legislature has passed a bill removing the odd revolver/semi-auto qualification requirement for a TX CCL.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...s-to-governor/

The article says that the bill is now on its way to Gov Perry, anyone from Texas care to weigh in on the chances that he will sign or veto it?
Old May 27, 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
KMAX

I expect that he would sign it. He is strong 2A.

The article is not exactly correct. If a person qualifies with a revolver they can only carry a revolver. If they qualify with a semiauto they can carry either a semi or revolver. Actually the licenses are marked SA (for semiautomatic) or NSA ( for non-semiautomatic). I am not sure if someone wanted to CC a single shot or lever action. I guess it would be NSA. Not sure why anyone would want to CC either of those two types, but who knows about some people? At lease that is the way it was when I got my license.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old May 27, 2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Here's a summary page on TX bills:

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.c...-status-report

Some good things were passed. I regret that campus carry died. A different strategy is needed as this has happened before.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Webleymkv

Originally posted by KMAX
Quote:
I expect that he would sign it. He is strong 2A.
Originally posted by Glenn E. Meyer
Quote:
I regret that campus carry died. A different strategy is needed as this has happened before.
I kind of suspected that Perry would sign it as, from what I know about him, he seems to be pro 2A. However, I also know that he's wavered on issues like campus carry so I wasn't positive.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

He said he was in favor but did little to get the bill to the floor. I'm not an expert on the Senate rules but I think the TSRA hinted he could use emergency agenda powers to do this and was asked the last time.

He didn't but did but some other stuff on the agenda that seemingly wasn't so important.

The opposition from the UT regents is not to be discounted as a power factor in this. That plus antigun folks and the rules, does campus carry in.

It might have more luck if they just had a bill that would allow staff to carry as that would void the crazed frat boy objection. Of course, it would discriminate against the older competent student. But UT worries about Alpha Shoota Banga members as compared to the Marine recon vet going to night school.

However, allowing guns to be stored in cars is a step forward and will make some college administration plotz in their shorts.
Old May 27, 2013, 05:03 PM   #6
KMAX

I like the bills that say I will not be required to take a renewal course and lower the renewal fee for veterans. I also like the bill concerning unintentional display of ccw.

Old May 27, 2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Perry has extended the legislative session, the TX gun forums will be buzzing that more gun bills can be promoted. The session is for redistricting (give court edicts) - we will see if gun stuff comes up. I doubt it but could be wrong.
Old May 27, 2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

I was also thinking that not needing to renew with a class and shortening the classes will be a significant hit on the CHL instructors who focus on the CHL process for income.

The well known and established tactical folks might be ok. But the renewals might bring in business for those.
Old May 27, 2013, 06:49 PM   #9
KMAX

Quote:
I was also thinking that not needing to renew with a class and shortening the classes will be a significant hit on the CHL instructors who focus on the CHL process for income.
I thought of this also and do regret the hit to these instructors. OTOH some of this hit might be offset by new people taking the classes due to reduced requirements and costs.

Old May 28, 2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Jim March

I wrote an Email to the TX DPS asking whether "Maurice the FrankenRuger" qualified as a revolver or semi-auto for purposes of this TX CCW system.

I explained that I built it and that it is the only mag-fed auto-shell-ejecting wheelgun that takes standard ammo (9mm up to +P+). I linked them to the video. They told me to ask a gun dealer which type it is.

I mean yeah, mainly I was screwing with 'em but it does point out that there are edge cases where it might be tricky to tell...like the Matebas and Webley-Foster autocockers for example...
Old May 28, 2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

I would encourage Texans to read Mr. Cotton's fine letter to Gov. Perry on this site:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtop...?f=125&t=66535

Then, you can follow his suggestions to endorse his views about the Governor allow important bills actually to come to a vote.

Glenn
Old May 30, 2013, 08:51 AM   #12
csmsss

Glenn, thanks for posting that link. What an articulate, thoughtful missive and I hope Governor Perry will give it the consideration it deserves.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm not that hopeful about that. Sigh - he has had chances to be interventionist in past sessions and didn't step up. The TSRA has to step carefully around him but have hinted at some discontent with his actions.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:56 AM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
I thought of this also and do regret the hit to these instructors. OTOH some of this hit might be offset by new people taking the classes due to reduced requirements and costs.
I don't feel any sympathy for them at all. People who set themselves up to derive their income from a regulation that unconstitutionally infringes a fundamental constitutional right are nothing but vampires.

I'm an NRA instructor and I teach pistol classes for the carry license in my state. I don't do it for the money. I don't own my own range, so I charge my students what the range charges me per student, plus (recently) a couple of bucks to pay for ammo ( or they can bring their own, but if I can't find any .22LR it's unlikely someone new to shooting will be able to). I want to get more people armed and educated.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:07 PM   #15
zincwarrior

Quote:
Perry has extended the legislative session, the TX gun forums will be buzzing that more gun bills can be promoted. The session is for redistricting (give court edicts) - we will see if gun stuff comes up. I doubt it but could be wrong.
Actually this is a very very minor win for Texa CHL. We originally started with support for campus carry, alternate legislation permitting CC's left in trunks on campus, a shorter educational requirement, and this. Little has actually passed our vaunted conservative legislature.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:18 PM   #16
csmsss

Quote:
Actually this is a very very minor win for Texa CHL. We originally started with support for campus carry, alternate legislation permitting CC's left in trunks on campus, a shorter educational requirement, and this. Little has actually passed our vaunted conservative legislature.
I'd say more mythical than vaunted. It is "conservative" in matters of interest to religious voters and that's where the so-called conservatism ends.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:27 PM   #17
zincwarrior

yes. It makes the Libertarian in me scream.

Having said that, I'm having difficulty finding what firerarms legislation was actually passed and signed at this point. Until all three occur legislation can just disappear. Its happened to us before.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:38 PM   #18
KMAX

Quote:
I don't feel any sympathy for them at all. People who set themselves up to derive their income from a regulation that unconstitutionally infringes a fundamental constitutional right are nothing but vampires.

This general attitude could be extended to any service that we pay for and to any legal, governmental, or political service or agency.

Quote:
I'm an NRA instructor and I teach pistol classes for the carry license in my state. I don't do it for the money. I don't own my own range, so I charge my students what the range charges me per student, plus (recently) a couple of bucks to pay for ammo ( or they can bring their own, but if I can't find any .22LR it's unlikely someone new to shooting will be able to). I want to get more people armed and educated.
Admirable, indeed, but I feel the $85 I paid for the class and fingerprinting was worth it to only have to drive six blocks rather than over a hundred miles. Convenience has its costs too.

Old May 30, 2013, 12:50 PM   #19
csmsss

Quote:
This general attitude could be extended to any service that we pay for and to any legal, governmental, or political service or agency.
Does it also apply to your right to your freedom to express yourself and to exercise your religious beliefs? Should you have to pay for those as well?
Old May 30, 2013, 03:54 PM   #20
KMAX

Quote:
Does it also apply to your right to your freedom to express yourself and to exercise your religious beliefs? Should you have to pay for those as well?
Do you pay monetary fees for those freedoms? Not me. My point was if someone "offers" a service one does not necessarily have to accept it. I could possibly have found a NRA instructor for little or no cost had I been willing to spend the time and effort and probably some money to drive a farther distance than I did. I did not and do not consider it right to pay for a right.

It is not the instructors that should be considered the "vampires" but the state for requiring licensing and the $70 to $140 fee for the license. I have heard it said that "a free man doesn't need permission" which may be true ideologically, but there are certain realities in life such as taxes.

Old May 30, 2013, 05:27 PM   #21
csmsss

Quote:
Do you pay monetary fees for those freedoms? Not me. My point was if someone "offers" a service one does not necessarily have to accept it. I could possibly have found a NRA instructor for little or no cost had I been willing to spend the time and effort and probably some money to drive a farther distance than I did. I did not and do not consider it right to pay for a right.

It is not the instructors that should be considered the "vampires" but the state for requiring licensing and the $70 to $140 fee for the license. I have heard it said that "a free man doesn't need permission" which may be true ideologically, but there are certain realities in life such as taxes.
Perhaps I was not as explicit as I needed to be in my question. Please allow me to rephrase.

Should you, in order to exercise your fundamental 1st amendment rights, be required to obtain training (and certification thereof), and to that end pay what for some is a not-inconsiderable amount?
Old May 30, 2013, 05:30 PM   #22
Glenn E. Meyer

1. This is a thread to discuss TX legislation and the philosophical bases of classes in general is off topic.

2. For legislative updates - https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.c...-status-report

www.texaschlforum.com has discussion of the issues.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:07 PM   #23
hermannr

Glen
Quote:
There may be some people that think this, but consider: In WA state there is NO, none, zero, government mandated training...but there is enough demand that out-of-state instructors come to WA because there are not enough instructors here. (we also do not have a misused/accident problem)

Why you ask? Because if you make training a PERSONAL responsibility, people will do what is necessary for them to be personally responsible gun owners.