The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Ozzieman

Alliant Power pistol powder???

Alliant Power pistol powder???
Any one load hard cast lead in a 45ACP? Got a suggestion on a good starting load.
And please don’t tell me there are better powders, I already know that. I am trying to help a friend start reloading. He is using my equipment and his supplies.
I told him what powders to get (W231 or unique) but some nitwit at a gun show talked him into power pistol. And it had nothing to do with the fact that power pistol was the only powder he had.
There are a lot of loads for jacketed but I haven’t been able to find any for lead. Also Alliant manuals only give max loads not starting loads.
Any help would be appreciated. 45ACP with 200 Gr Hard cast.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Xfire68

Lyman 's 49th lists 6.6g starting and 7.4g Max.
The bullet used is 200g #452630 OAL 1.235.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
slammedsi

I used the layman load at 7.0gr using a cast 200gr swc at 1.240 to great results. 1.5 inch 5 shot groups at 15 yards.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Ozzieman

Thank you, sounds like a good starting point.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Sevens

My favorite Alliant data source is their 2005 printed guide. I believe it's the last source from Alliant before they went ATK and their available data started to suck out loud.

Unfortunately, they list Power Pistol in .45 Auto only for jacketed bullets. In every space where they have data for lead bullets, the Power Pistol column is empty.

They list a max charge of 7.4 grains Power Pistol under a 200 grain JHP.