The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 17, 2011, 11:28 PM   #1
TunnelRat

P229 Elite Stainless

Hey all,
One of the LGS near me has one of these for sale in 40 S&W for $750 used in 95% condition. Original box, papers, extra mag. Curious if that's a decent price. Does look sexy.

-TR

Edit: Please see Post #9 for new details.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 18, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old December 17, 2011, 11:31 PM   #2
chris in va

New prices seem to hover around the $1000 mark.
Old December 18, 2011, 04:38 AM   #3
Patriot86

That is a hard gun to find, used or new. I have never seen one in person and even on Gunbroker they are tough to come by. I would ask to shoot it before buying it, but the 229 is a great platform for .40 S&W, the Stainless Elite's beavertail feels nice in the hand(IMO) and the gun is just plain right. $750.00 is a good price, SIGS really hold their value.
Old December 18, 2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Curious if that's a decent price. Does look sexy.
That's a spectacular price... and yes, Patriot86 is right, it's hard to find. They make them in batches once a year...

I paid just under $1,300 for mine and had to wait 8 months for it to arrive.

If you want one, I snatch it up right away. It's a heavy beast and it shoots .40 like they were .22LR The wood grips are gorgeous but they're pretty fat. You'll probably want to replace them with some Hogues or something else.

(At that price, it's probably not there anymore)

Here's mine with the factory grips:

And with Crimson Trace grips:

Old December 18, 2011, 02:04 PM   #5
AZGlock13

If you like Sigs and .40S&W, yes, definitely pick that bad boy up. The all stainless Sigs are dead sexy. That is a great price for an all stainless P229 Elite model. As already mentioned, they are tough to find sometimes. The SRT trigger pull and reset on the Elite model is very nice. I have an all stainless P226 Elite in .40S&W and love how if feels and shoots at the range. I ended up putting Hogue checkered G-10 grips on mine. About the only negative I can think of is if you plan on conceal carrying it, the stainless steel frame is going to weigh a little more than the normal alloy frame based Sig P229, but I don't think you will notice the weight of it that much more (people carry steel framed 1911s all the time (of course a 1911 is thinner)). I don't carry my stainless Elite P226, but do carry an all Nitron black P229R DAK .40S&W from time to time. Let us know how it works out
Old December 18, 2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Patriot86

I think SIG might finally be running SS guns again, I saw a couple of 226 and 220 stainless elites in my LGS last time I was there but STILL no 229 SE. I also agree about the wood grips, if you have "average" sized man hands then they will feel a bit over sized, but they can easily and inexpensively swapped out for whatever your flavor.
Old December 18, 2011, 04:23 PM   #7
JHansenAK47

Think I'll throw my two cents in.
Love the Elite SS series I have the P229 elite ss in 9mm shoot it frequently but I don't care to conceal carry any of the SIGs with the beavertail. Don't get me wrong I like the beavertail but in conceal carry applications I have noticed it there and found the beavertail annoying in comparison to my P228 which doesn't have the beavertail.
Old December 18, 2011, 05:38 PM   #8
AFK

If I had the funds I would definitely buy it as long as I had someone educated on Sigs with me to check it out. I don't know enough about 'em to determine if it makes the grade. I almost bought a new one about a year ago, but I was looking for a gun that I would carry. If I remember correctly, it was going for about $1200. It was just a little too heavy for that in my opinion. It is still at the top of my want list for having fun at the range. I don't have a .40 yet, but I have a lot of brass for it, so I'm hoping to get one within the next year.
Old December 18, 2011, 06:45 PM   #9
TunnelRat

So I'm a little confused and maybe you guys can help.

It is not an Elite Stainless (to be fair they didn't advertise it as one I just made the assumption based off of SIG's website). However it is a SIG P229 in solid stainless which I haven't seen many of. No beavertail just a regular SIG. Regular plastic P228/P229 grips, standard trigger, with night sights, and no rail (I don't care for them anyway tbh). It is an older SIG. German made frame, Exeter made slide with serial AM##### and the older style, smaller, external extractor. It is in good condition, some very minor holster wear, but the barrel and slide look like it's barely been shot. Strikes me as a Law Enforcement trade in. Trigger feels good and the slide to barrel lockup is pretty much perfect. As a bonus if I didn't want to shoot someone I could club them with it .

Anyone know if this is relatively common? I don't know much about the older SIGs. Also is it still worth the price? As a note this is likely to be a bedside/range gun, I already have a carry gun.
Old December 18, 2011, 07:19 PM   #10
Uncle Malice

These are actually less common and of great quality. I would love to pick up a P229 Stainless. I love shooting with the beavertail but carrying IWB it can dig into your side.

Sig discontinues these a long time ago, so it probably has a bit of collector value. That's still a good price though, assuming it's in good condition - it's kind of hard to beat up a Sig....
Old December 18, 2011, 08:24 PM   #11
AZGlock13

So it's a P229ST. I have a P220ST. I believe the P229 was the only ST made without the rail (the P220ST and P226ST models all came with the rail, not sure if some P229STs came with the rail or not). I have never seen a P229ST in person myself, but seen pics of them on the Web. The ST models didn't of course have the beaver tails or the SRT triggers and in the case of the P229ST no rail. I believe most of the ST models came with the normal Sig contrast sights. I have been toying with the idea for a few years to put night sights on my P220ST (brought it used about four years ago). I still think the price is still good for what you are getting, especially if you don't like the rail look anyways and still want an all stainless steel Sig.
Old December 18, 2011, 10:34 PM   #12
John Eastwood

You better buy that gun....that price is unheard of.
Old December 19, 2011, 10:32 AM   #13
TunnelRat

Gonna pick it up this week. It's interesting on a number of levels and might be something to pass on to the kiddies. I will post pictures when I do.
Old December 19, 2011, 11:54 AM   #14
ak2323

That is a very, very nice piece of hardware at a fair price.