The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 20, 2017, 12:02 AM   #1
FrontierGander

Let's see the....

Let's see the muzzleloader you will be using this year!

Mine is a Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal kit gun I put together. She's sighted in, cleaned, lubed and ready for September 9th!
Old July 22, 2017, 09:04 PM   #2
noelf2

I cast up some .60 caliber balls last year. Hoping to take the fowler out and do a smoothbore hunt. My shots are generally between 30 and 60 yards anyway, so distance accuracy won't be an issue.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by noelf2; July 22, 2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old July 22, 2017, 10:22 PM   #3
Hawg

I can't hunt anymore but if I could I'd use my scratch built(not by me).54 Hawken. Our season doesn't start til November.

Old July 23, 2017, 12:07 AM   #4
sltm1

Unfortunately, like hawg, I too have reached the"gold-plated" years, my list of things I can no longer do keeps getting longer, hunting's now on the list. Anyhow,my rifle of choice, is a LH 50cal T/C Renegade, got it lot's of years ago.

Last edited by sltm1; July 23, 2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old July 23, 2017, 07:08 AM   #5
noelf2

I hope to have a deck and a long field behind my house. Shoot, and get the grandsons to retrieve. Never too old.
Old July 23, 2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Ricklin

Yes!

I like the way you are thinkin noelf2.
Old July 23, 2017, 12:52 PM   #7
Hawg

I could hunt the woods behind the house but I'd have to gut it, skin it, cook it and eat it where it fell.
Old July 24, 2017, 08:05 AM   #8
noelf2

Quote:
I could hunt the woods behind the house but I'd have to gut it, skin it, cook it and eat it where it fell.
You need some grandsons! Anyway, aren't those Mississippi deer about the size of a big rabbit anyway?
Old July 24, 2017, 10:12 AM   #9
ocharry

dang hawg,,,you need some grand sons like noelf2 says or a wheeler of sorts,,,,lol,,,maybe a LOW RIDER wheeler,,,,no offence ment,,,just ribbing ya some

i know about the dragging thing as i get older,,,now i use the bucket on the tractor or the trailer behind the wheeler,,,dang they do get heavier as the years go by

ocharry
Old July 24, 2017, 01:27 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
aren't those Mississippi deer about the size of a big rabbit anyway?
These down here are. The ones back home in Noxubee county are pretty big.

Quote:
dang hawg,,,you need some grand sons like noelf2 says or a wheeler of sorts,,,,lol,,,maybe a LOW RIDER wheeler,,,,no offence ment,,,just ribbing ya some
Grandsons are out of the question now unless I marry into them and that's not looking too likely either. I had a four wheeler and a 4X4 Jeep until I had to sell them after my surgery 6 years ago.
Old July 26, 2017, 03:46 PM   #11
Model12Win

My plains rifle:

Old July 26, 2017, 04:55 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Should have invited you to Prator when it was open for a few hours. We had a ML instructor's class last week and I had time to spare afterward. BTW, we still don't know when Prator will be reopened. It now belongs to the Foundation and the foundation is entertaining bids to operate it.
Old July 26, 2017, 08:38 PM   #13
Model12Win

Glad to see some good CLASSIC caplock and flintlock rifles are going to be serving in the game fields this season, gents!
Old July 26, 2017, 11:46 PM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Let's see the muzzleloader you will be using this year!
Nothing special. For typical carry a T/c 45 hawken percussion patch ball shooter that's got many a walk'in mile on it. If I happen to run across a buck track the size of my hand or encounter one's bedroom. Got a 54 Hawken back at the cabin for that too. Another patch ball shooter.

I usually quietly crisis cross walk thru my woods {3/4 mile each direction} and walk out to a gravel county road that guides me home more often after dark than during daylight. Such hunts take place every three days or so during our 2-weeks and 3 weekend B/P season. I stop to eat lunch and make a cup of tea. (small thermos water always in my back pack) Maybe take a nap up wind of the smoke next to the fires radiant heat for 1/2 hour or so.

Never in a hurry when I hunt. Don't get upset if I don't see deer. Lots of other critters to gawk at. Never kept count of the deer I've taken Still hunting. But I did keep a ball or the fired brass as a trophy to my success. Last count 41 pcs sitting on my cabins window ledge.

Like Hawg its either physical or mind that hampers one's ability. Of all those deer (41) I'm lucky to remember 4 or 5 at best and their story's. Alzheimer's on set. Just grin and bare and be/do the best one can is indeed my motto. If I'm able to hunt for a few more years I'll consider myself Blessed.
Old July 27, 2017, 10:04 AM   #15
Hawg

I got spoiled the last four or five years I hunted. Our place is pretty much inaccessible without a 4 X 4 or a four wheeler and most of it requires a lot of walking which I don't do so well with anymore and dragging a deer is out of the question. There was one place you could get into with a two wheel drive and it didn't require a lot of walking and unless a deer ran into the woods there was no dragging. It was perfect for me except there were no deer. Plenty of tracks but only a few deer were ever taken out of it so nobody hunted it anymore. One morning I got up late and said well it's not like I'm going to see anything anyway. I'll just go sit in the shooting house and read my book and maybe take a nap. So here I go blasting thru the woods, dual exhaust, glasspacks and 3 inch echo tips. Back up into an old access road and from there it's about 75 yards to where I'm going. grab my stuff and go clomping down the old road not even trying to be quiet. Go around that last corner and there's about 10 deer standing in the middle of the field looking at me. I froze but it was too late. They took off like a herd of wild deer. Anyway to make a long story short I went back the next morning being a lot quieter and got one from about 75 yards. Went back and got the truck and drove up next to her and loaded her up. Almost every time I went in after daylight I got one. Usually my total hunting time was about 30 minutes from the time I left home until I got back. Now it's too bad to get a two wheel drive in there.