The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1
AL45

How tight a group can you shoot

Even though this is the internet, I'm not going to lie. I've put a little over 1000 rounds through my .45 Colt Blackhawk over the last year and half, and on a good day I can regularly put 6 rounds in a pie plate at 25 yards. I often read of guys shooting 2 and 3 inch groups at this distance and hope one day to do the same. Often 3 or 4 shots will be within 4 inches, but there will always be 2 or 3 that open up the group. I could use the excuse that the wind always seems to be blowing when I go shooting, but I won't. So how good are you?
Old January 25, 2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Hawg

Rugers aren't known for exceptional accuracy. Three inches is very doable.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Mystro

I am very picky with accuracy. I always have been way back to my IPSC days.
I can put all 6 rounds of 45lc into the size of a 50 cent piece at 10 yards with a Governor. I can stack bullets with a 6" S&W 629 44mag at 20 yards. Same goes with my 1911. My Sig P229 40s&w Dark Elite and Walther PPQ 9mm I can do a 1.5" group at 20yards. My rule of thumb is,...If I can't reliably do a head shot at 20 yards, I don't carry it. I practice out past 100yards with my 44mag a lot.

I practice for shots like this....after that, 20yards is a chip shot.

Rapid fire drills

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; January 25, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Hook686

Maybe not a pie plate, but certainly a dinner plate.

I also practice with a NRA B6 target (50 yard slow fire). I shoot 5 strong hand and 5 weak hand at 10 yards, 5 strong hand and 5 weak hand at 15 yards, and 5 strong hand at 25 yards, then 5 strong hand supported at 50 yards. The goal is 70% on the target. Someday maybe 70% in the black.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Hammerhead

I've never had much luck target shooting with Blackhawks, even the Bisleys.
Very happy target shooting my GP100 and especially my Freedom Arms .357.

My best group limit seems to be just under 5" at 50 yards. I've done it a few times with a USP .45, a .38 Super 1911 and my F/A. Most of the time I blow it with a flyer or 2.

Shot this group at 25 yards with a Glock 29 converted to .40 s&w and plated bullet handloads. I'm sure the flyer was my fault.

Old January 25, 2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Dragline45

I typically only shoot steel at long distances with pistols so I cannot comment on my long range groups. But last time I was a the range I was shooting 1" - 1 1/4" groups at 30ft with my Sig 232 shooting 7 shot strings in about 3 seconds. What an amazingly accurate little pistol.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:15 AM   #7
j3ffr0

Standing with no type of rest I can shoot a 3 inch group at 35-40 feet with my sp101 4.2" barrel in single action. At 75 feet, groups open up quite a bit. I might be able to do a dinner plate on a very good day. I probably could do a dinner plate if I practiced with that gun more, but most of my shooting is with the 22. My groups are a little tighter with the sp101 in single action... The trigger on mine is really good in single action, and I think that accounts for the difference.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:18 AM   #8
Sheriff Gotcha

Depends how far the target is from me. 3 yards I can group into a quarter with 10 rounds from my Kadet kit. Under 7 I can probably keep it in the black of a normal sized target. 7+ yards and I'm all over the place lol. But that's the fun of being new, learning and improving.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:44 AM   #9
Morgo

2-3 inch groups at 25 yards is very doable and plenty common at my range. That said we don't shoot sub compact handguns, the majority are in the 5-6" barrel length with adjustable sights and reloaded ammo for target shooting.

I've a few handguns that will shoot 1-2" groups consistently free hand at 25yards sometimes under 1" though thats on a good day every other 6 months
Old January 26, 2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Bowdog

Ruger Alaskan .44 Mag 6 rounds 240 gr. HP in 4.3 seconds strong hand 3inch group at 7 yards.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Ozzieman

Rugers are not known for their accuracy on a stock Blackhawk. Mine with factory rounds held across sand bags could match yours but with reloads and proper sized bullets (.454) for my gun, I have been able to cut that down to several inches at 25 yards.
Mine also has the second cylinder for 45 ACP. I have a hard time holding 10 inches at 25 with that cylinder.
Several things you can do to see if it’s the gun or you. Have or you check the chamber throats in the cylinder. There are a lot of stories about the throats on Ruger Blackhawks being inconstant and can cause accuracy problems. There are also tools that you can use to make all 6 the same diameter. Mine was built in the early 80’s and the throats were cut so that the diameter are all the same size.
The second is to have someone else shoot your gun to make sure you’re not the problem. I had a light weight Kimber that I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn and found it was me. The short 1911’s don’t fit my hand very well.
This is my evil devil gun, notice the serial number?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Japle

Groups like this,

Lead to nice things like this,

Old January 26, 2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Mystro

Nice shooting Japle....paper punching is one thing but nothing like handgun hunting to keep you sharp..

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 26, 2013, 10:22 AM   #14
rep1954

Japle, nice shooting and you have my respect.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Bob Wright

Well, this is my best one shot group!

About thirty years ago I was a much better shot than I am now. Age does take its toll. But this was done with my Super Blackhawk:

And, I don't believe this one is too shabby:

As I said, age does take its toll. My eyesight is as good, even better since cataract surgery. But Social Security doesn't allow much for ammunition expense, and I don't get as much practice as I once did. There is a little loss of body strength that doesn't permit as steady holding as years ago.

That's my excuse, anyway.

Bob Wright
Old January 26, 2013, 11:51 AM   #16
MrBorland

Quote:
Japle, nice shooting and you have my respect.
+1. I loves me some good revolver shootin', and it's good to see revolvers well-represented by Mystro & Bob, too. Here's some wheelgun love from me:

25 yards, standing, double action

A recent 10 yard postal match:

Another postal match - 2-handed (bottom), strong hand only (upper right), and weak hand only (upper left). All shot standing, double action:
Old January 26, 2013, 12:07 PM   #17
Big Blue Cats

I can hit the berm at 100 every shot with the LCP If only it were sarcasm
Old January 26, 2013, 12:09 PM   #18
AL45

Aw you guys are just showing off now. Seriously, great shooting! Often times my first shot will be a bullseye, but then I get excited and turn in to Barney Fife. I am confident I could hit a Grizzly at 25 yards. provided he was sound asleep and not about to have me for dinner.
Old January 26, 2013, 02:54 PM   #19
Japle

The thing to remember is, no matter how good you think you are, there's always someone who'll show up at the match and kick your butt.

My philosophy: When I go to the range, I have just one purpose in mind. I work on one task; first shot from the draw, transitions, groups, fast DA on multiple targets, adjusting my grip so I can find the damn dot instantly, whatever. I’m a pretty serious competitor and I’m about to turn 67, so I have to stay on top of my game.

Of course, sometimes I just haul out my Garand or SKS or AR-15 Close-Range-Zombie-Gun and have fun.

Use a timer. Keep a shooting log. If you modify your pistol, write down what you did. Did it help?

Enjoy!
Old January 26, 2013, 03:13 PM   #20
darkgael

Groups

Some days are better than others. On a good day....this is about as good as I do:
Five shots with my Gold Cup at 50 yards....standing, one hand, unsupported:

The bad days don't get their picture took.
Indoor 50 ft. .22 fired as above:

Lotsa shooters do better.
Pete
Old January 26, 2013, 03:21 PM   #21
SgtLumpy

A coach I had a long time ago presented me with this idea...

Whatever group you can do at 5 yards, try for that same group at 10. When you achieve that group at 10, move it to 25 etc.

In other words, instead of trying to make your groups SMALLER, try and keep the same sized groups at longer distances. Once you achieve the same group at distance, move back in close again and you will automagically see smaller groups at the closer distance. Then repeat the process again and again.

I think smaller groups are a product of keeping my sight alignment more still and making the "wander" of the muzzle smaller. At 25 yards, I can't really AIM to make my bullets end up closer to one side or another of that 3" bullseye. Especially with my increasing geezer factor eyesight. But I CAN calm my hand/arm/gun movement to keep the wander closer to what I perceive as the center of that bullseye.

I've posted these before, elsewhere:

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 26, 2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Revolver1

Sounds like you need to practice more. Concentrate on front sight and practice dry firing for trigger control. No substitute for lots of shooting.
Old January 26, 2013, 04:11 PM   #23
Mike38

My best group at 25 yards was a 10 shot less then 2 inches with a .22 target pistol. With a center fire, (M1911A1) my best 10 shot 25 yard group was around 4 inches. This is one handed, Conventional Pistol shooting. Surprisingly, I’m no better two handed. Go figure.
Old January 26, 2013, 05:35 PM   #24
Nasty

Rapid fire when I first got the pistol...Diamondback DB9.

Old January 26, 2013, 05:55 PM   #25
spacecoast

Scores of 100 (3.25" or better group size) are not that rare at our Bullseye competition, especially in Timed Fire. Last week a shooter had a 100 with 7 Xs. That's one hand unsupported at 25 yards, 2x5 shots in 20 seconds. I posted the target below last week in Rapid Fire (2x5 shots in 10 seconds) with an iron-sighted Model 17-5: