The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 7, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1
jasmith85

A Few P229 Questions

I purchased my P229 in 40 S&W along with a .357 Sig barrel a few months ago now and had a couple questions I'm hoping someone here can answer. My first question involves the extractor. I've been firing it using the .357 Sig barrel and I've noticed the extractor is damaging most of the casings causing scratches in some spots along the outer edge of the rim. On most of the casings there is just a line like someone rubbed a knife blade across it but the cut is so deep in a few of them that it causes fairly large burrs to stick out. The only .40 rounds I put through it were on the first day I had it and I did not pick them up so I don't know if it was doing it to them. Is this something I should be worried about? Also, would the casings with just a small mark on them be unsafe to reload? I don't intend to reload anytime soon but I do try to keep my casing in case I ever choose to.

My other question involves the sight picture. I have never had the sights on any of my guns changed before so I know very little about it, but I am about to get night sights put on my P229. Do companies make night sights for Sigs that use the 6 O' Clock sight picture rather than the combat sight picture that Sig puts on their guns?
Old August 7, 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Creeper

Question 1... undetermined. Without seeing similar marks on .40 cases, you don't really know if it's an extractor issue or a .357 Sig issue... or an issue at all.
My last P226 would put a nice scar on the case rim for about the first 2000 rds... then the scar got a little lighter and a little lighter... then almost nothing.

Question 2... Sight picture can be a variable based on range and sight design. For example, with the XS Express sights it is suggested by XS to use a center hold at close range... essentially subtending your aiming point (see 3 below), and at 25 yds and beyond, use an apparently high 6 o'clock hold (see 2 below).

The SiG sighting concept, as you already know, uses the sight picture that subtends the POI (see 3 below again)... where as typical training for the 1911 pattern sights use the six o'clock low or "target" hold (see 1 below), and in some instances, a split between the 1 and 2 holds... that for lack of a better term, I'll call the "combat/target" hold.
So, from that, you can see that there are variances between sight systems and firearms manufactures.

As bad guys don't wear targets, what ever you use, if this is to be your carry piece, get in some good practice, see where the POA/POI ends up... and roll with it.

Cheers,
C