The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2009, 02:10 AM   #1
stlcardinalfan

A prayer over your deer?

Does anybody say a prayer over their deer? Does anybody know any good Bible verses to say over an animal?
Old November 22, 2009, 08:21 AM   #2
gunarcher

I observed the Austrian custom of placing a green twig or plant in animal's mouth as the "Last bite" and toasting the animal with schnapps. I thought it showed the correct reverence and respect.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:56 AM   #3
shortwave

Don`t know of any specific 'Bible' verse but I`ve always stopped and thanked the Lord for letting me harvest one of his creations.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Rembrandt

I suppose this could be applied to hunting and providing for ones family.

I Timothy 5:8
"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than the infidel."

Proverbs 21:19
"It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and angry woman."
Old November 22, 2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Edward429451

Bullseye, Rembrandt.

...and of course say a blessing over each meal that the Lord has provided.

10, 9, 8, 7.....
Old November 22, 2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Tommy Vercetti

Genesis 1:26

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."
Old November 22, 2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Buzzcook

Acts 10
10And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, 11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending on him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: 12 Wherein were all manner of four footed beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. 14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. 15 And the voice spoke to him again the second time, What God has cleansed, that call not you common.

Come on kids it's the go to verse eaters.
Old November 22, 2009, 01:20 PM   #8
horseman308

Genesis 9:3
3 Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Noah has just exited the Ark after the flood dried up and offered a burnt sacrifice of Thanksgiving. It is here that God tells us for the first time that it is okay to eat meat, but not to eat it if it "still has its lifeblood still in it" (still alive, perhaps even raw/uncooked??).

For myself, I say a prayer of thanks and remember that for us to live, something else must always die (plant or animal), that this is the way of the world and that we should be neither reckless and destructive, nor apologize for reverent, responsible use of natural resources.
Old November 22, 2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Sarge

I'll second Edward on this.
Old November 22, 2009, 02:02 PM   #10
stlcardinalfan

I just had a problem shooting a doe yesterday that I had been watching for a couple of years. She is huge, strong, smart and healthy. She is perfect. She has had at least 2 beautiful fawns that are now yearlings that I know of. I watched them grow up. They are healthy and perfect also. I saw her yesterday and when I got the crosshairs on her, she was staring at me as if to say "Why?" Within a fraction of a second, I thought, "What if she has been bred? What if she has a 14 point 225 lbs Boone & Crockett buck inside of her. She was right on the tree line across the field from me. As I was flipping the safety off she hurdled into the woods and was gone. I thought, "Aw s**t." My real dilemma is, if I shot her, would this be good for the herd? She has survived this long without getting hit by a vehicle or shot. Do I really want to take this perfect platform for perfect fawns off the market?
Old November 22, 2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Sarge

Stl,

There is no character flaw in what you did, either way. I have looked at more than a few over the sights, and let them walk.

If you're hungry? Sammiches is sammiches
Old November 22, 2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Bigfatts

I read in a book where a hunter says the Gralloch prayer over a kill. It is an old Scottish prayer that thanks both the animal and God for the gift of the kill. I can't remember how it goes of course but you should be able to find it online.
Old November 22, 2009, 02:32 PM   #13
Gbro

I like Genesis 9:3 that Horsman308 quoted, Acts 10 Buzzcook quoted.
I would also like to Quote Pauls words in Romans chapter 14 verses 19-23,.
Quote:
19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.
And by that I read Paul to say to us to keep our beliefs in food to ourselves and not push anything on someone that believe differently.
I believe this post is just perfect. It gives one Bible verses to go to therefore letting them make there own decision if a Deer is proper food.

Great Thread stlcardinalfan!
Old November 22, 2009, 02:34 PM   #14
MrClean

That little voice

In my opinion.... when we hear that "little voice" as some call it, take heed. Especially, if it contradicts what is "normal" for you. I have taken sight on deer before and got that feeling or heard that little voice..... and I have thought "why now? why not this deer? etc etc". In other life situations I have had the same thing happen.... a funny feeling, a little voice, maybe telling me to do something different that I would on my own....

And some say God doesn't speak to us? I beg to differ. We choose to either not listen or discount it to things like " a little voice ". As for a prayer over the game taken, I think it's a wonderful idea. It doesn't have to be a 'special' prayer recited, just talk to Him. We say grace and give thanks AT the meal... why not prior to. I use to have my best quiet times with God sitting in a deer stand... no telling WHAT walked by while I was "busy". LOL

If I am not mistaken, I've seen ol' Ted Nugent do it. If it's good enough for Unca Ted.... ha.

Best Thanksgiving Wishes to all you guys and gals here at TFL. A great group of folks that I was fortunate to be exposed to. I hope you all and your families have a blessed week!!!

And for anyone that is offended by my open expression of being grateful to God for what he made (AND for his Son) and wishing those a Blessed Thanksgiving here...... You'll get over it. And He loves you too.

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old November 22, 2009, 02:42 PM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Many native American tribes have specific prayers of thanksgiving that they say over a downed animal. Some of them are specific for the particular animal that is harvested.

I believe the Zuni in the Southwest actually try to breath in the animals final exhalation of breath so that they can share in its spirit.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 22, 2009, 03:31 PM   #16
rickyjames

i think a short prayer over a fallen animal is an appropriate thing to do. i like the placing a leaf in the mouth and toasting it with schnapps. there are many nice christian prayers, also some very nice native american sayings as well.

what i don't like is seeing these "so called" christian hunters on tv screaming thanQ geeeesus over and over while they run over to measure the horns, laughing all the time. i'm pretty sure many of these hunters couldn't give a damn about the meat. and to those hunters i say go and sin no more.
Old November 22, 2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Christchild

Just as You Ask Blessing/Give Thanks/Say Grace over meals (I also give thanks for all beverage), always thank the Lord. It is HE that granted Your Harvest. HE can give, as well as take away, or simply not give.

A Prayer... I'd say Yes... But in Thanks... Not for the animals "spirit", as WE are the only "beings" subject to God's Judgement. Definitely, DEFINITELY, give WholeHearted Thanks and Praise, to HIM. An addition in Your Prayer of Thanks, You could very well say a few words for the Harvested Animal.

I feel that Our ETHICS are for the Game Animal. Also, if You or someone else do NOT intend to eat the flesh of that animal, don't kill it. Unless, of course, You're putting it down for reasons of "putting it out of it's misery", or the like.

And I WholeHeartedly 2nd Mr.Cleans post, above.

Last edited by Christchild; November 22, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old November 22, 2009, 06:58 PM   #18
Dresden2001

I took an antelope this year, first time I have ever shot one. I stopped it cold, and said a prayer for it when I was above it, and thanked God for providing it to me for our nourishment.

I like the Austrian custom. I am confident that we are connected with all living things on this earth through our connection with our heavenly Father.
Old November 22, 2009, 07:02 PM   #19
jakec2789

Quote:
"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."
tommy what verse is that?
Old November 22, 2009, 08:34 PM   #20
Buzzcook

Jake it's in Genesis Chapter one verse 26

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/1.html
Old November 23, 2009, 03:14 AM   #21
bamaranger

check out this book

Here's a neat little book if you don't know it, that blends Christianity w/ deer hunting: "A look at life from a deer stand"-CHAPMAN

I took a 1915 vintage Rem Model 14 .30 Rem deer hunting last year on a miserable day just made for sneaking through the pines. The rifle had not been pointed at a deer in the 25 years I'd owned it, and who knows when it had last spilled blood. I'd still hunted all morning, and was on a gravel (legal to shoot) road 100 yds from the Bronco,done hunting, when a big fat doe stepped out at 50 yds or so. I snicked off the safety and leveled, and I swear I think I felt the old rifle shiver!!!!!!!! The brass bead I'd spent 10 minutes polishing the night before settled......

I didn't shoot, to easy. Heck, I wouldn't even have to drag her. It was late season, what if she'd been bred,........I had a couple in the freezer.......
I was hunting bucks anyhow, what if a big one followed her across.......

If I can just get that rifle to forgive me....................
Old November 23, 2009, 01:03 PM   #22
stlcardinalfan

Quote:
In my opinion.... when we hear that "little voice" as some call it, take heed. Especially, if it contradicts what is "normal" for you. I have taken sight on deer before and got that feeling or heard that little voice..... and I have thought "why now? why not this deer? etc etc". In other life situations I have had the same thing happen.... a funny feeling, a little voice, maybe telling me to do something different that I would on my own....

And some say God doesn't speak to us? I beg to differ. We choose to either not listen or discount it to things like " a little voice ". As for a prayer over the game taken, I think it's a wonderful idea. It doesn't have to be a 'special' prayer recited, just talk to Him. We say grace and give thanks AT the meal... why not prior to. I use to have my best quiet times with God sitting in a deer stand... no telling WHAT walked by while I was "busy". LOL
I think Saturday at 5:05 PM GOD spoke to me.
Old November 23, 2009, 01:39 PM   #23
fyimo

Sorry guys I quit praying over things I killed when I was a combat soldier in Vietnam. I was just thankful it was them laying there rather then one my fellow soldiers or me.

If I had had to pray over something I killed I'd stay home. By the way I believe in God, Heaven, and Hell but I save my praying for things I want to live longer or to be a better man.
Old November 23, 2009, 01:46 PM   #24
stlcardinalfan

Quote:
I was just thankful it was them laying there
Deer hunting isn't war though. A deer is one of GOD's creations. A deer isn't trying to kill you. A deer has never done anything wrong in it's life.
Old November 23, 2009, 01:54 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

Don't go too far, and get the thread closed.
Not everyone believes in god, and the rest don't all believe in the same god(s).
Some religions consider the earth a separate spiritual being, and some consider it the only spiritual being.

Everyone here has their own view of religion. Please don't, anyone, start trying to pitch your own views. Opinions are welcome; fanaticism is not.