The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 27, 2009, 07:13 PM   #26
6x6pinz

I absolutely love squirrel (Aberts)hunting. This year I took over 100 of the tassel eared critters. My hunting buddies and I got together and made squirrel tamales. This was probably the best way to fix them I have ever had.
Old March 1, 2009, 12:35 PM   #27
orchidhunter

There a pest at times

In rural areas, squirrels can do severe damage. In fruit orchards squirrels can chew holes into the bark of various types of fruit trees to sample the sweet sap that starts to flow in spring, eat flower buds that normally would make fruit, destroy fruit before and after it ripens, and gird branches killing them off. This doesn’t count the small branches they chew cleaning their teeth. Squirrels eating fruit wouldn’t aggravate the owners so much if they really ate it all but they waste ten to fifteen times as much as they eat. In a hard wood forest, particularly New England, squirrels have been known to chew through pipes and container of Maple syrup especially plastic ones. In nut orchards, nut production is severely decreased because the squirrels harvest the large numbers of nuts before they’re ripe and carrying off a large portion of the remaining ripe nuts before the humans can start their harvesting. In the country at least you can shot and thin the ranks of the marauders and vent some frustration.

In the city, squirrels damage lawns by digging to bury or retrieving acorns, nuts, seeds and also in flower beds finding and eating roots and bulbs (Tulips, crocus, etc). They chew on ornamental shrubs or trees giving them a lop-sided appearance or sometimes killing the plant. They also eat flower buds before they open into blossoms. They take food intended for birds and will sometimes enlarge holes in birdhouse to enter and eat nestling songbirds. They travel on the power lines and short out transformers interrupting electrical power to large sections of the community.

Squirrels have been known to make nests in attics, garages, chimneys, barbecue pits, crawl spaces and other unusual places, even in cars. Any place that is dry, safe, and protected that they can squeeze their head through a squirrel can get into and make a nest. This is bad for several reasons; they mess up the insulation in the walls and ceiling, gnawing on electrical wiring can cause fires, they gnaw holes in the walls and allow precipitation to enter the house, etc… I have heard that you can buy a rubber snake and scare squirrels away or spray a pepper or a predator (raccoon) urine solution around your house to cause them to leave your plants and house alone or you can spend lots of money buying ultrasonic noise-makers to ward squirrels away. Of course this was said by the same people who recommend feeding garlic and yeast to your dog to repel fleas. Once the squirrel gets used to the sight, smell or sound they’re back again. LOL. The only practical way to remove squirrels is to check local ordinances and see if you are allowed to trap and relocate them at least five miles from your house. Plan ahead and determine the squirrel’s relocation prior to trapping it. I suggest someplace across a river and several roads. Even that may not stop its return, as gray squirrels are able to swim two miles in calm water. They swim using the dog paddle stroke with their heads and rumps, including the tail, held up out of the water. Myself, I think a skillet is the best and final answer for a troublesome squirrel. I would not recommend poisoning because in most places it is illegal, as there is no effective bait you use that wouldn’t be consumed by a pet or other animal. orchidhunter
Old March 12, 2009, 07:24 PM   #28
James R. Burke

Were I live I consider the big grays a game animal to eat. I really dont like cleaning them so I leave them alone.
Old March 12, 2009, 07:41 PM   #29
6x6pinz

We have the Aberts tassel eared squirrel here. The hardest part about hunting them is the field dressing. I stumbled across this video and it has made field dressing much easier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66AVw...eature=related
This was a good afternoon of squirrel hunting

took lots of cleaning
Old March 12, 2009, 11:01 PM   #30
Fat White Boy

In California, they are a game animal, listed in the Fish and Game Regs as such. The good news is you can hunt them with .22 handguns...
Old March 13, 2009, 11:31 PM   #31
T. O'Heir

"...how a squirrel gets to taste like turpentine..." Eating pine tree buds. Not pine cones. If you see a tree rat chewing on a pine cone, it's for the nut inside the cone.
Tree rats are a game animal up here too.
"...They make good fertilizer..." No, they don't. Bait for coyotes, if it's legal, though.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:00 AM   #32
TreeHugger

Abert squirrels

I am an avid squirrel enthusiast. I believe the Abert squirrel should be a protected species because of it's beauty. I hate you Arizona <people> that see them as something to kill in large numbers indiscriminately. I have visited the Rockies twice to try to find Abert squirrels for photographic opportunities, but I couldn't find them likely due to overhunting by you reckless inbred rednecks.

Last edited by Art Eatman; December 8, 2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Personal-attack insult edited.
Old December 8, 2009, 08:50 AM   #33
Catfish25p2000

Wow treehugger, kinda harsh eh? If you really want to see some, maybe you should go out with 6X6pinz, he doesn't seem to have any trouble finding them...
Old December 8, 2009, 09:27 AM   #34
XLT

If you'd quite hugging the trees and start looking for squirrels, you might see some... talk about inbred behavior
Old December 8, 2009, 09:47 AM   #35
oneounceload

Those tree rats around here are good for one thing - eating my solar pool tubing on the roof. And the crows appreciate a fine meal now and again
Old December 8, 2009, 11:01 AM   #36
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

How do you tell if a plastic is vegetable based? Easy: Mice, rats and squirrels consider such to be yummy-tasty. They won't eat petroleum-based plastic.

Seems to me that depending on location and circumstance, squirrels are "all of the above". Definitely game animals, but sometimes definitely pestiferous.
Old December 8, 2009, 12:02 PM   #37
Hog Buster

Considered a game animal here they are also considered crop destroyers. With many Pecan trees around my place I also have many squirrels, mostly reds. I've killed hundreds over the years and all have gone in the pot. Fixed in a sauce piquant or gumbo they're pretty tasty, or as we say down here, "Talk about good!". All squirrels have a distinctive odor, but I would imagine that those dining exclusively on pine trees might be a bit rank for eating.
I don't hunt them much anymore, but have a 15 year old grandson who gives them hell. Squirrels are a great animal to hunt when learning. They're just quick and sneaky enough to be a challenge. Lots of things you learn while hunting squirrels you carry over into deer and other game hunting.
When populations get too high and become a threat to my Pecan crop I always have to bust a few. None go to waste, if not me, someone is always ready to cook a few.
While using a shotgun is OK, head shots with a .22 will make you a deadly accurate shooter.
Old December 8, 2009, 03:33 PM   #38
JerseyDrez

I love putting squirrels in the red dot of my GSG, and it loves taking them out!

I dont like eating them though, just not my thing. I give em to a friend who enjoys grilling them.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old December 8, 2009, 07:26 PM   #39
PH/CIB

Great Ceasar's Ghost, I did not realize Squirrels were more dangerous than Terrorists! My house is surrounded by them, must be the Bird Feeders and Ear Corn!

I will be getting out the FAL or the M1A out of the gunsafe and loading up some 20 round magazines with 180grain .308, stacking magazines and hand grenades and setting out trip flares and claymores! Will be out on Listening Post all night breaking squelch on the radio every hour on the hour, although I don't expect the Squirrels to attack until first light. If I survive,,, my next campaign will be against those pesky birds and deer!

Seriously I have no problem with anyone shooting Squirrels that are damaging crops or property. We have a season on them here in Iowa, and I love to hunt the big Red or Fox Squirrels and the little Gray Squirrels and love to eat them. I love all animals and love to hunt and fish and I eat everything I kill except Coyotes and if hungry enough (I went without food once for three days while not a long time got plenty hungry) I would happily give Coyote a try!
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old December 8, 2009, 08:17 PM   #40
govmule84

Please sign me up as a new passenger on the "reckless inbred redneck" train.

I got my first ones this season, and can't wait to get out again. Squirrel gravy and biscuits suits me (and my boy) just fine.

And us city folk can clean 'em indoors, without the whole neighborhood freaking out.

-L.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:29 PM   #41
Scout

Gray squirrels are game here. They're very plentiful as long as I'm carrying a deer rifle. As soon as I pick up my rimfire, they become quite scarce.