The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 24, 2008, 11:25 PM   #1
5RWill

Barnes triple shock X bullets.

Anyone know how these perform? I've seen video's but i would like to hear it from a owner. Seems like a good bullet. Looking to reload some for my .260.
Old August 25, 2008, 06:15 AM   #2
shooter_john

I tried some in my 25-06 on paper... Every load I tried resulted in dismal accuracy. Averaged well over 2 MOA in a rifle that is easily capable of 1/2 MOA with Hornady 117 SPBT's.
Old August 25, 2008, 07:16 AM   #3
taylorce1

They are a good bullet, but most people who use them complain about performance in the smaller calibers. If you wanted to use a 140 grain 6.5 bullet most people of the guys who use them say that you need to drive them at .264 Win Mag speeds to get them to open up reliably. Larger calibers seem to be fine with the slower speeds because the nose cavity is larger and opens up easier where the smaller diameter bullets just are hit or miss on performance at normal speeds.

Just do a search over at 24hourcampfire or accuratereloading on the TSX and you will get a lot of opinions on them. I had some dismal performance accuracy wise out of the old X bullet and haven't really gone back to Barnes. My heavy duty hunting bullet will remain the Nosler Partition, and my standard the Sierra Game King. I've never had either bullet fail to shoot accurately out of any of my rifles I've tried them in nor have they ever failed to bring home game when I do my part behind the trigger.
Old August 25, 2008, 08:17 AM   #4
billindenver

I get well under sub moa with 168 tipped TSX's in 30-06. Not sure about other calibers.
Old August 25, 2008, 09:05 AM   #5
sthrnfryedyankee

This will be my first year hunting with the TSX. I have been using the original X-bullet for hunting and shooting the last 3 years and the bullet has always been extremely accurate. I know it wasnt entirely what you were looking for but I will say that I have been more than pleased thus far with the Barnes bullets. I just ordered the TSX for the first time in Black Hills 140 7mm rem mag and federal premium 85 for my 243 I hope they preform as well if not better than the originals
Old August 25, 2008, 04:03 PM   #6
5RWill

It doesn't matter what caliber just wanted to see if the bullet was what the videos show. I mean if it's a miss in my .260 so be it, there are tons of 6.5mm bullets out there. But if it does group and i can get performance like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6uo0E6nuJ0 Then you have one hell of a good bullet. I think nosler has a similar variant to the barnes tsx, the E-tipp i believe.