The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2008, 11:31 PM   #1
TCman

New to reloading...Lee Kit?

I am new to reloading and am looking for a kit to get started. My local gun shop has a Lee kit. Would this be a good setup to get started?

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/anivers.html
Old August 10, 2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Darren007

Thats what i got started on, the Lee Anniversary press (Though not the breech lock version). Although I have since moved up to a Redding T7 Turret Press, the Lee single stage is still mounted to my bench.

Lee Presses are great starter presses. For the money its hard to beat. That way, if you decide reloading isnt for you, you wont have spent a lot of money on your gear.

Others will balk but dont get too turned off by the sometimes "cheap" feel of Lee products. It will produce good, safe, and accurate ammo.

The Lee perfect powder measure, IMHO is one of the greatest bargains in all of reloading. And again, Im sure others will call foul, but that powder measure is probably THE most accurate and consistent powder measure that I have ever used, with all powders that I've tried.

Trust me, I wanted to hate that thing. But the more I used it, the more I fell in love with it. I sold both my Hornady and Redding benchrest powder measures after using it for about a year.

The other piece of equipment I have heard complaints about is the Lee Scale. To be honest Im not sure what all the hoopla is about. It works. Its accurate. And its not THAT difficult to set up. Like anything...read the instructions.

Last edited by Darren007; August 10, 2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old August 10, 2008, 01:13 AM   #3
458winshooter

Lee kit

I think you would do very well to start with this kit for the same reasons.You can always upgrade if you find reloading to your liking and still use most of this stuff as well.
Old August 10, 2008, 01:58 AM   #4
tplumeri

midway has em on clearance for 67 bucks!
the turret kit is $99.
Old August 10, 2008, 02:38 AM   #5
lll Otto lll

Do yourself a favor, spend a little extra and get the Lee Classic Turret kit.
It's much faster than a single stage press.
Kempf's guns has them for $185 which includes the dies.
Get the powder scale and calipers and you'll be set up to load 250 rounds an hour. https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
Old August 10, 2008, 06:55 AM   #6
benzuncle

+1 on the Lee Classic Turret Press. It's a semi-progressive with an easy learning curve. I bought mine from Kemp in January and have "built" close to 3000 rounds with it. And a +1 on what Darren 007 said about the Lee Scale and Powder Measure. I would add that the Adjustable Charge Bar also works very good for charges over 5grains.
Old August 10, 2008, 07:29 AM   #7
welder05

Bought my Lee kit three years ago and is still in use. I highly recommend it.
Old August 10, 2008, 08:43 AM   #8
DWARREN123

It is what I use. I only do 40 S&W at this time and it works for me.
Old August 10, 2008, 09:29 AM   #9
Perajio

I started out with the Lee Anniversary Kit back in 1994 and it's still in use today! LEE Precision gets 99% of my reloading equipment $$$$.

Join The NRA and protect you're rights!
Old August 10, 2008, 09:31 AM   #10
SDC

Definitely, Lee's got some of the best value for money , but after you use some of their products for a while, you'll be looking for at some different options. I started with their turret for handgun, and their O-frame single-stage for rifle (loved them, and still use them), but couldn't STAND their powder measure, so I bought something to replace it as soon as I could.
Old August 10, 2008, 11:05 AM   #11
RobertS

I agree with others on the Lee Classic Turret Press. You can reload any cartridge with it from the largest rifle, to pistol, and even the 50 BMG. It can be used as a single stage if one prefers, I never did. It is built like a tank and will give you a lifetime of service. I also have the single stage, but never use it. If you would later think for some reason to have a single stage you can pick one up real cheap either on ebay or online. The Lee Classic presses are some of the best designed equipment out there. I have used RCBS, Dillon, etc. and place the Lee's cast classics at equal quality, but a much better price.
Old August 10, 2008, 11:10 AM   #12
Crosshair

I started on a RCBS single stage press. If I did it over I would have gotten the Lee Classic Turret Press first. Start loading only using it as a single stage press. As you become more experienced, you can start loading progressively.

I still have my RCBS and use it for sizing rifle cases and for sizing my case bullets. So if you can, have two presses, one progressive and one single stage. If you can only have one, get the Lee CTP.
Old August 10, 2008, 11:45 AM   #13
BurkGlocker

I had a Lee back in 1998, and I just bought another one 10 years later. I have always liked using the Lee, and you cant go wrong with price as compared to other similar presses. I do know that this press will be getting alot of work!
Old August 10, 2008, 11:55 AM   #14
HDDeluxe

I have to agree with the Lee Classic Turret Press. If you do a search function you will find many threads about this topic. The majority of opinions are in favor of the Lee. Excellent value for the money. I started with the Lee Classic Turret and can't see myself going to anything else. This is after more than 15,000 rounds of .38Spl, .357Mag, .45ACP, .32ACP, .270Win, and 30-06 loaded on the press and still going strong.

The interchangable turrets are great and simple for caliber changes. I am sure if you go with the Lee, you won't regret it.
Old August 10, 2008, 12:19 PM   #15
Crosshair

Oh yea, as for the turrets, don't be cheap. Stock up on turrets and save yourself the trouble of having to continually adjust the dies from switching them out from the turret.
Old August 10, 2008, 12:21 PM   #16
snuffy

A co-worker/friend has just bought that exact kit. He has shown interest in reloading for the last year, he finally took the plunge last week. I just love mentoring new reloaders!

He's in the process of building a bench, getting the loader set-up, then trying out the different processes. I'm sure there will be a bunch of questions come Monday. In fact, I'm looking forward to them!

I'll make a point of stopping over at his house to look over his kit. Since I have the older challenger, I'm curious about the breech lock system. Looks to me like they have improved on the Hornady LNL system by having a lock button to keep the bushing from turning loose by itself.IF THEY HAD JUST MADE THE INSERT THREADS 1ΒΌ-12 I could use one for my cowboy brass shotshell dies!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 10, 2008, 04:54 PM   #17
tplumeri

Quote:
Stock up on turrets and save yourself the trouble of having to continually adjust the dies from switching them out from the turret.

agree. you can get 3 hole turrets for 14 bucks and "common" 3 die sets for 20
Old August 10, 2008, 05:31 PM   #18
Crosshair

Quote:
agree. you can get 3 hole turrets for 14 bucks and "common" 3 die sets for 20
What?! Natchezss.com has the 4 hole turrets for $7.88 + shipping. Where are you buying them for $14?
Old August 10, 2008, 05:49 PM   #19
tplumeri

OOOPS! i was thinking of this update 4 holer

Midway charges around $8 for 3 holers
sorry
Old August 10, 2008, 06:23 PM   #20
CrustyFN

Another vote for the classic turret. It's a great press for the price. Built very solid, very easy to use and setup. Will load 3 to 4 time faster than the single stage at a comfortable pace.
Rusty
Old August 10, 2008, 07:09 PM   #21
Lunicy

i started with lee gear. Nothing the matter with it. Be forewarned, you will eventually want to upgrade. I went with dillon. Pricey, but fast and accurate.
Old August 10, 2008, 08:28 PM   #22
aerod1

I have a "Lee Reloader" single stage "C" press (less than $25.00) and a "Lee Classic Cast Turret" press. Both have been flawless in their performance. I also have the Lee scale which gets a lot of complaints. Mine works great and I don't see what all the flak is about.
My LCT looks like CrustFN's except I don't have the nice billiard ball on the handle Mine has the original ugly wooden knob Some people just pi$$ me off.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old August 10, 2008, 09:55 PM   #23
DEDON45

They work fine as starter kits... as another guy said, at some point you'll probably want to upgrade... but the old press would still be good to keep around for grunt work...

I started with a Lee Loader (yes, the old hammer / mallet required version), went to a Lee Challenger (single stage) press and Lee powder measure (all while I was a teenager living at home; my Stepdad got tired of hearing me beating on the Lee Loader all hours of the evening in the garage) .... moved out, and 12 years later I've gotten back into it (factory ammo was getting EXPENSIVE!!!), this time with decidedly nicer equipment of my own (Hornady LnL AP Progressive and one of their Classic single stage presses -- I guess I had to keep it all Red like the Lee stuff) ... and I do like it better than the old or current Lee stuff... but I have them (Lee) to thank for making it affordable for me to get into it all those years ago... So I say go for it, just know it can be an addiction, and you will find yourself perusing Midway USA catalogs all the time, and wondering about what rifle to buy to go with the set of dies you just bought 'cause they were on sale... Welcome to the Addiction (and you thought guns were an addiction).

Oh, and do check out some of the online shops... I like to buy a lot of stuff at Grafs.com ... 4.50 shipping on entire orders (except haz-mat type stuff)... and good prices. Might save you some dough.
Old August 11, 2008, 09:56 AM   #24
TCman

If i get this kit what else will in need besides a tumbler, manual, and dies?
Old August 11, 2008, 10:23 AM   #25
SDC

You probably won't even need a tumbler until you get into some heavy production (until then, you can just wipe the cases with a cloth as you inspect them; most pistol cases barely even need that, unless they're loaded HOT); other than what comes in the kit, you need components (brass, bullets, primers, and powder) but those components depend on each other. A powder that is fine for one bullet weight may not be safe for another bullet weight, so it's best to choose a specific load that you want out of the manual, then follow that "recipe".