The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 26, 2000, 10:53 AM   #1
Morgan

I'm in the market for a gun cabinet or locker. A safe is just too heavy and pricey for my needs right now.

About all I've seen are the Stack-On brand (Midway has 'em for what looks like decent prices - $180 for an eight gun, $250 for a twelve, $300 for a sixteen). Anyone have any experince with these or another brand?

I'd like to bolt this to the floor and/or wall - are they equipped for such or would I have to drill them?

Any other advice?

(I'm offline until Tuesday, so I'll reply to any requests for clarification then. Have a great Memorial day weekend, and think of those who are memorialized.)
Old May 26, 2000, 01:33 PM   #2
Strayhorn

A few years back I needed an inexpensive locker myself. So I went to the surplus sales warehouse for the university. There I found a bunch of athletic lockers for cheap and considered those, BUT, I also found a pharmacy locker - one of those huge steel lockers that hospitals use to lock up drugs kept in clinics. It's about the size of a kitchen fridge.

I paid $75 for it - it even came with the original combo lock. Spent about an hour or two rearranging the shelves and bolting it to the wall. It was my principal arms locker until I could afford something better, and now it's my ammo locker.

So look around - you might find something similar at a surplus warehouse or flea market.

Regards,

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old May 26, 2000, 03:58 PM   #3
johnbt

According to the Cabela's catalog, they are pre-drilled. I bought a similar cabinet by KenCraft. It was pre-drilled and the instructions said to drill holes to match the studs if needed. John
Old May 26, 2000, 06:30 PM   #4
Noban

Morgan - I started with a stack-on cabinet until I invested in a safe. They are really nicely made. Some internal assembly is required, but it just involves putting screws into pre-drilled holes. They supply closed-foam lining for the cabinet walls and rear shelf, at last on the larger models. It's not going to keep a determined thief from entering, but it will keep all others at bay and give you peace of mind with children in the house.

I recommend the 16-gun cabinet. It can truly hold 16 rifles and 5-6 handguns. With that load though, there is little room for anything else.

BTW - I found that purchasing the larger cabinet compelled me to fill it up. I'm glad (or maybe not) that they didn't make a larger one!

Good Luck

Noban
Old May 27, 2000, 07:59 PM   #5
Gino

If you go to Walmart/Kmart you can get the same safe (or at least it sure looks like the same) for a lot less money. I got the 8 gun and then the 16 gun cabinet. Definitly get the largest size you can afford! I wish I had gotten the largest one the first time out.
Old May 28, 2000, 01:11 AM   #6
dalpra

Get the Homak cabinet from Sportsman's Guide. The 8-gun cabinet is $99 plus shipping. Very well made, double lock, can be attached to walls.
Old May 31, 2000, 08:58 AM   #7
Morgan

Thanks, guys.

I'll hit the flea market and check the want ad's for other lockers/safes, and check Wal-Mart etc. for cheaper versions of the same.

The Homack cabinet looks promising, as well.

I've got some cogitating to do...
Old May 31, 2000, 12:27 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Morgan - just a quick note on the price of the Stack-On at Midway. I bought one of the 12 gun cabinets at a local shop for about $90 less than the Midway price. I think they are including shipping whether they say so or not. The Stack-Ons are good quality for the price.
Old June 1, 2000, 10:18 AM   #9
KilgorII

I am a college student in an apartment so a safe isn't the best idea for me either. I bought the Stack-On 12 (or 10 I'd have to look) gun double doored cabinet. It gives me plenty of room to store ammo and pistols along with long guns. It even has adapters for scoped long guns so that they don't have to be put in sideways. The quality of the cabinet is pretty good. I got mine from Http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com I got it for $278 delivered to my front door. That is about $60 dollars cheaper than Midway. Delivery was less than a week. They have the long-gun-only cabinets as you described for less than I got mine for. You might want to check them out. Goodluck.

[This message has been edited by KilgorII (edited June 01, 2000).]

Old June 1, 2000, 08:45 PM   #10
Aerodog

Just for reference, that Homak 8 gun cabinet from Sportsmans Guide costs about $32 to ship, I know, I got one. So count on about $130. You might be better off finding the thing locally, even in a high tax state.

Cabinet = $99
Shipping = $12 (based on VALUE of item, not weight, weird)
Extra shipping = $20 (weight surcharge)

The thing is shipped in a regular cardboard box and was a little dented from the UPS trip.