The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 16, 2017, 08:19 AM   #26
Nathan

With a Ruger 44 mag Super Blackhawk 10.5" 4x scope, I killed a deer at 125 yds. I had been practicing regularly at 100 yds.

Hitting steel at 100 is quite possible with a little holdover....

I find that with barrels 5" and longer, this is much more realistic. I think it is sight radius more than anything.
Old September 16, 2017, 09:15 AM   #27
sixgunnin

Last year I killed a 4x4 Whitetail a over 80 yards one handed with a 4 inch open sight .357, Sounds like a lucky hit? It took me two shots, He was running

I aimed about 2 feet above and 6 feet in front of his head, hit him in the tailbone.

Can you guys see this picture? In case you wonder the chest hit was a kill shot

Last edited by sixgunnin; September 16, 2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old September 16, 2017, 09:29 AM   #28
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
The limit hasn't been reached until you run out of barrel. If you need to you can use a piece of tape for a sighting point.
The barrel needs to taped up before hand, or the smooth barrel just lack features for consistent sight picture. Even with that, things are getting difficult. Windage alignment is tough as no light is going through the rear sight notch. The front sight and rear are farther apart.

Actually I probably didn't try hard enough.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old September 16, 2017, 09:32 AM   #29
sixgunnin

Quote:
With a Ruger 44 mag Super Blackhawk 10.5" 4x scope,
Scope??? Next thing we know we will hear a story about shooting a deer with a 20'' barrel Blackhawk equipped with 10x scope, bipod, tactical sniper grips...
Old September 16, 2017, 12:50 PM   #30
T. O'Heir

The Wild Bill 75 yard shot was the result of years of daily practice by one James Butler Hickok.
"...a non magnum pistol..." Practice and knowing your firearm is required. Magnums are not required for 75 yards. Bosses son at the shop shot a .44 Charter Arms Bulldog at 100 and hit with no fuss. Had to hold about 2 feet over, as I recall. The kid was 7 at the time.
Old September 17, 2017, 04:15 AM   #31
1stmar

5 shots 5 hits offhand from a para pro custom 1911 at 100 yards. Load was 3.2gr clays and 250 FN. 1 hit failed to penetrate (low right)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.JPG (159.2 KB, 22 views)
Old September 18, 2017, 08:43 AM   #32
NoSecondBest

I was shooting a steel silhouette at a rifle range on day at 200 yds standing with my TC single shot 7tcu and a young man pulled in and was getting ready to shoot on the pistol range adjacent to me. He watched me shoot for a while even though I offered to stop while he set up his target. After watching me shoot about twenty rounds and get a hit percentage of around 60-70% he told me he'd just graduated from the police academy and they'd told him not to consider anyone a threat with a handgun past twenty-five yards unless they just got a "lucky" hit. He said they out to get out more. He asked if I could do that with a revolver or auto? I told him "no, my hit rate goes down to about 50-60% at that distance with the revolver". He ended up becoming the chief to a small dept. near where I live. He learned a good lesson that day.
Old September 18, 2017, 03:11 PM   #33
Rangerrich99

Hmm, I guess my OP somehow sidetracked this thread a little. Guys, I never said I needed magnums to shoot 75 yards. What I said was, I didn't have any magnums to shoot. the fact is, I'm more familiar shooting magnums than I am .38s at ranges further than 20 yards. So I was just unsure exactly how much drop I'd get with those .38s. If I'd had the mags, having more experience with them, I would've aimed right at the jugs, fairly confident I'd get a hit. Anyway, sorry about sidetracking the OP a bit with the magnum thing.

On a different point, I'm getting a bit of a chuckle at how many people are so 'unimpressed with Hickok's shot. Fellas, the shot is not hitting a 'man-sized' target, or a 'torso' shot, or even a milk jug at 75 yards, or a 100 yards.

"The shot" is a single shot hit on an apple-sized target from a BP revolver, one-handed, from the draw, with someone shooting at you right before you get to pull the trigger.
Old September 18, 2017, 08:14 PM   #34
rodwhaincamo

It's all good. Now I'll have to give it a try some time. However lacking precision at 1/3 of the distance might make it very challenging. But I like the info given about using the base of the front sight.

For grins I decided to enter the data for a .36 cal Navy load with a ball traveling at 1000 fps and sighted for 25 yds with a 1/2" tall sight. It drops a little over 7" at 75 yds.