The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 21, 2011, 10:07 AM   #1
beauryker

For LE only

When a firearm is listed for sale to LE only by a manufacturer, what is required to purchase the firearm? Is this the same as a Title II weapon?

Thanks
Old July 21, 2011, 12:27 PM   #2
bullethole1

It means only Law Enforcement can buy, Fbi,Highway Patrol,Local,Sheriff Deputy,Atf,Game Warden,Swat etc.Its just like Law Enforcement Oakley sunglasses ,I think its dumb but thats the way it is.
Old July 21, 2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

It's good advertising for their product and CYA that they won't get sued if somebody uses their product in an illegal endeavor.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 21, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

Depending on your state,,,

LE only in a semi-auto hand gun,,,
Could mean it's capacity is more than 10 rounds.

Many states like California restrict us mere citizens,,,
To 10 round maximum magazine capacity.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 21, 2011, 01:12 PM   #5
armsmaster270

There are a lot of everyday firearms in CA that were taken off the approved list by DOJ because the manufacturer did not want to pony up the bucks for retesting plus submitting many samples to possibly be destroyed in the drop test etc. just because they made a minor change in the gun. Someone comes in from out of state & sells their "non approved" gun to a dealer, he can only sell it to L.E.. Yeah I know it's stupid, but that is CA.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:44 PM   #6
chasep255

LE only in the world of NFA weapons probably means a post-86 machine gun. Everything else can in some way be purchased by civilians depending on where they live. I have always wondered if LEOs have to go through the same NFA process as anyone else. If you are say in the FBI and want a machine gun do you need to register it with the ATF? What are the differences (other than the exemptions from the $200 tax and LEO sign off)?
Old July 22, 2011, 12:09 AM   #7
medalguy

LEOs have to go through the same hoops as the rest of us when buying a registered MG. It may be easier to get the signature but I know of a couple of chiefs who won't sign even for their own officers.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:23 AM   #8
phagar

Law Enforcement only means the "agency" and not the individual officer . No individual can purchase a "post sample" machine gun" (even an officer that works for the department) . It is a "tool" and can only be issued for on the job use .

hagar,

Arizona Tactical Firearms (ATF)
Manufacturer (07) and (02) tax paid .
Old July 23, 2011, 12:06 PM   #9
beauryker

Ok, I sorta found out one thing I needed to know. The other is this....a manufacturer states on his website that a particular rifle is for LE only (letterhead, sig, etc), which would make the rifle property of the dept and not an individual. So, if I personally want to purchase this rifle, how would I go about doing so? Would I have to find an in-state III dealer to buy it from the manufacturer for me? Or would he even be able to purchase the rifle?

If it matters, the rifle I'm referring to is an FNH MK16CQC.

Last edited by beauryker; July 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old July 23, 2011, 02:09 PM   #10
HuntAndFish

Well, this rifle [FNH MK16CQC] is a recently manufactured select fire weapon. The sad fact is US Civilians living in the US are not allowed to own any select fire weapon manufactured after May 1986. The Hughes amendment to the FOPA '86 prevents you from personally owning one.

You would have to commit a felony to own one. (10 years AND $250K max, I think)

EDIT: Well that's not strictly true. You could become a Special Occupational Taxpayer (SOT) and sell them. That would allow you to possess for the purpose of selling them to LE/Mil.

You can own the MK16S semi-auto version of this rifle. I'm not sure if a short "CQC" barrel is available, but if it is you could register this as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) under NFA '34 and own it legally.

Last edited by HuntAndFish; July 23, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old July 23, 2011, 08:46 PM   #11
beauryker

Thank you sir. The select fire aspect of the firearm is not particularly of interest to me. The SB aspect was. I had thought about buying the MK16 model and swapping barrels. They do make a 10". At what point would I have to register the rifle? When I bought the barrel, or when I installed it on the weapon?
Thanks again.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:43 PM   #12
HuntAndFish

Owning both the weapon and the barrel might be construed by the authorities as "constructive possession". You can have one or the other, but both might be problematic. BE CAREFUL, THE PENALTIES ARE STEEP. Once you have ATF permission to build the weapon, you are okay.

This may help discover how to go about it:

SBR FAQ from www.Quarterbore.com

EDIT: There are good resources at the BATFE web site. The government works for you (or should) and their web site has resources (forms, info, regs) that you should read and that will help you.

Last edited by HuntAndFish; July 23, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old July 28, 2011, 05:16 AM   #13
mcdowellbri

Im kind of interested in this one, due to the fact of some items being completely legal to own, you just cant physically put in offers for the stuff because they want all the LEO info. theres several HK pistols, completely legal to own but theyre not on the civilian site. the M24 has recently lapsed in its contract to be solely used by the US military, its only on the LE site for remington though.
Old July 30, 2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Gossettc68

The above poster is correct. I have to deal with this all the time selling my Full auto glock kits. The LEO has to get a department letterhead in order to convert the gun.

Other than that only C2 and C3's can do it it...Well, a C3 has to get a C2 to make a post sample for him.

I deal with LEO's daily and their biggest hurdle is convincing their chief to sign off on a Dept. Letterhead. This is mainly due to the fact that the uppers don't see a need for that much firepower. I always tell them to tell there superiors that they don't always have their shotgun on hand and with a flick of a selector switch that remedies that problem.

Believe it or not this pitch has enabled plenty of our LEO's to pack the much needed heat in certain situations.
Old September 7, 2011, 02:19 AM   #15
ClydeFrog

"department letterhead"....

Some sellers of class III or AOWs state they must have a original document or form on dept or agency letterhead that says the person buying the firearm is a sworn LE officer and/or the intended use(s) of the firearm(s); SWAT, air support, covert-plainclothes ops, EP/PSD(witness security, bodyguards).

I'm not an expert on ATF or NFA forms but I have seen a few firearms/special weapons with those conditions.