The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 12, 2018, 09:41 AM   #26
m&p45acp10+1

I try to clean mine after I shoot them. I will not store a gun that has not been cleaned, and the bore protected with a light coat of oil. I run a dry patch before shooting all of my rifles. I find it takes less time to clean guns after each session. Rather than waiting until they start group poorly. 20 minutes versus 3 or 4 hours is a huge gap.
Old August 15, 2018, 09:04 AM   #27
cdoc42

While we're here, I'll bring up cleaning products, although I know this has been discussed on other threads. Because of those threads I tried the KG products - KG-1, KG-12 and KG-3.

I had the impression that KG-1 was just a carbon deposit cleaner and KG-12 was the copper remover. KG-3 is the fast-drying spray cleaner similar to Gun Scrubber and competitors.

I was impressed with how quickly KG-1 cleaned up the carbon and I really did get the guns cleaner faster. But I saw "blue" on the patch just as much as I saw carbon. Someone on the threads said KG-1 reacted with brass tips to produce a blue color, so I contacted KG Products to clear that up since if I saw blue, I'd continue to clean.

This was the response:

"The KG-1 was originally developed as a copper remover and is why your seeing the blue. Although there is no ammonia in the product there is an ingredient we use that will turn copper blue. The performance of the product, when originally formulated, was only as good as other products on the market though. We shelved the project but worked with the basic formulation to develop the carbon remover."

"The way the system works is the KG-1 starts the process of removing the copper and the KG-12 finishes it. The KG-12 is a much stronger product and can be used alone. T

The KG-12 will turn patches more of a yellow. You could use the KG-1 to check and see if all the copper has been removed. You can also check for copper by looking just below the muzzle. You should not see any copper streaks. Allowing the KG-12 to sit for a few minutes helps a lot. The whole idea behind the product was to allow it to do the job without having to scrub with a brush. In the attachment there is a picture of the bullet we used for testing the KG-12. You can see how much the KG-12 attacked the copper just by submerging it in the product."

So it seems KG-1 is really a carbon AND copper cleaner, and as long as I see blue, keep cleaning!