The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 18, 2012, 05:50 PM   #1
illinoimike

Prescription shooting glasses

I wear trifocals and it's near impossible to shoot well as I can't focus on the front sight.
Is there a company out there that can make a lens that will allow me to see the sights and a bit of the target?
Old February 18, 2012, 05:51 PM   #2
hoytinak

Check out Oakley. www.oakley.com/store/prescription
Old February 19, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Steviewonder1

Go to your regular eye doctor, Have him give you a pair of glasses with your reading prescription in your right eye (assuming right eye dominant and right handed shooter) and your distance prescription in the left eye, same assumption as before. I have a pair like that and the front sight is sharp and the target is sharp. I shoot with both eyes open.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4
rtpzwms

Here is another offering

http://shop.randolphusa.com/ranger-s...ble-p5653.aspx
Old February 20, 2012, 05:35 AM   #5
plumbercrack

I went to a Walmart optical of all places. I was looking for something to help me see for welding and I too wear trifocals. Once I explained the distance involved the optometrist came up with a lense that worked. Cost was under $150 and I'm sure they could do the same for shooting. I also have a pair of bifocals for shooting long distances that seem to work pretty good.
Old February 20, 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
jag2

My eye doctor allowed me to bring a pistol to my exam so I could get my best focus on the sights for my right eye and my distance prescription in the left eye so I could see if I hit anything. Works about as well as possible for these old eyes.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:00 AM   #7
johnmcgowan

The above solutions will work as long as the shooter does not have too much refractive power difference between the two eyes. The Doc should tell the patient if that is the case. Too much imbalance will create visual problems such as Diplopia ,or double vision when viewing object up close.
I once made a pair of glasses for a patient that I turned the lined bifocal 90 degrees in the frame on one lens so he could have a larger field of view for his bead at the end of the barrel. He liked it.

John
Old February 26, 2012, 09:50 PM   #8
plumbercrack

I guess I should have been more clear. Those glasses were only for welding. I still use my normal ones for everything else.