The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 30, 2012, 11:36 AM   #1
pturner67

SNOT

I was cleaning my AR last night at a buddy's house. He has multiple credits to his quite extensive smithing and shooting resume.

Broke the AR down completely. Extensive clean, and then reassemble.

The lubricant we used, he calls SNOT. It's a homemade mixture of equal parts Miltec-1, 10w30 Mobil1 synthetic, and automatic transmission fluid (he uses Texamatic).

Anyone else here have a home brew that they use and consider to be the best? What's your formula? Can you explain why it's better than something off the shelf?
Old January 31, 2012, 08:11 AM   #2
griz

All three of those will work well on a firearm, so I would think mixing them together would do no harm.
Old February 3, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

It is way cheaper to homebrew than to buy high quality specialized lubricants off the shelf. Same true for beer.
Old February 9, 2012, 03:51 PM   #4
plumbercrack

I really like a thin film of white lithium grease. It has great lubricating qualities and reduces carbon build-up even in my Savage .22.
Old February 9, 2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Trip286

SNOT sounds like a good deal. I'm a member on firearmstalk and it seems that quite a few people over there use some type of a similar mixture. Incidentally, I used the last of my hoppe's the last time I cleaned, so I'll be using something like that myself next time.

I used to use carb and choke cleaner on my SAW, it worked great too. I wouldn't recommend letting it get anywhere near the finish on a nice firearm though, I don't know for sure because I've never done so, but I imagine the results wouldn't be pretty.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:29 PM   #6
pturner67

thanks for the responses...I'm gonna mix up a batch this weekend and do a complete AR breakdown, clean, and lub