The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 17, 2018, 09:40 PM   #26
goalie

I carry one a lot.

Got it used for 300 bucks.

I love it and shoot it well.

YMMV

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old July 18, 2018, 10:54 AM   #27
aimtrue

nanney1, until recently, I carried the G27 EDC without difficulty or pain from its recoil. The pistol has been reliable never failing to operate properly. It has been accurate and easy to conceal.

Now as I approach 90 years of age, I have moved to 9mm from the .40 caliber pistols. I did so because I simply cannot handle the .40 caliber as well or safely as I once did.

I do not believe anyone fit and in good health would find the G27's recoil to be too sharp or unmanageable. It is a very fine weapon and excellent for concealment.
Old July 18, 2018, 04:11 PM   #28
nanney1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G. Terry View Post
G27: I enjoy the subcompacts. Now if I want to dance it's necessary to put money in the jukebox. I shot and shoot some pretty fierce 180gr. handloads in my forties. You can learn how to handle the gun fairly quickly. For me, it's mandatory to have some range time with these subcompacts. I really dropped the ball selling my G29. I do not buy into this flip business. YMMV.

Addendum: My fingers are long and the G4 23-a bargain-with big back strap worked well. Have not found a good used 27 or 29. My used 27 still had copper lube inside. Some local gurus stated the 27 was too big to carry. I was wearing mine at the time unnoticed.

All this 9mm business is going to bounce one day. A costly bounce.
How do you think the 9mm will bounce? An ammo shortage? Or that another caliber will come into favor and everyone will be stuck with their 9's? Just wondering what you meant by bounce?
Old July 18, 2018, 05:21 PM   #29
TailGator

OP, you have heard from people who said they had no problem handling .40 in pistols that size, and others who did. I can't imagine a way for you to know in which category you fit without trying it.

I can but add one more data point to your indecision: In most pistols, I feel a significant difference between 9 mm and .40, but not as severe or exaggerated as some people seem to say. Between the G26 and the G27, I feel the difference more acutely. Manageable? Yes, but I am significantly faster between shots with the 9 mm version.
Old July 18, 2018, 10:19 PM   #30
craddleshooter

I have carried a Glock 27 since 2005. It has gone almost everywhere with me. It is my backup gun as well.
The pros, it is small enough to carry on you person inside or outside the waistband. You put it in a small fanny bag with other items. I do this when I ride my bicycle. You can use a Glock 23 or 22 magazine as an extra mag.
Cons, I carry mostly inside the waistband. The G27 can be uncomfortable after a while. A Glock 23 holster will help with the discomfort. It does for me. That is the only downside for me.
I do not use the pinky extention. For me it doesn't work. I shoot the G27 without it pretty well.
It works well as a backup. I carry my G27 in my vest under my left arm. It doesn't bother me and I do not notice it's there. I don't think you can wrong with it.
Old July 20, 2018, 02:11 AM   #31
mellow_c

Haven't read all the other posts, but thought I'd add my opinion to the mix.

I'm NOT a fan of the g27.

I AM a fan of the g26.

Friend of mine had a g27. I shot it a fair amount. As everyone else says, it was snappy. I have decent sized hands, and I have some decent strength, but they are not as big or "meaty" as some fellas who make handguns seem to disappear by gripping them with two hands. As a result, i can have a good solid grip on the gun and take good accurate shots and shoot it very well, but i find that I must readjust my grip slightly between shots to keep it in perfect position, unless i use a death grip, but that's just not how I shoot. Some sort of grip tape or bicycle inner tube over the grip would help, but even then, the snap would probably pull the gun and my strong hand slightly away from my support hand after each shot.

I've also shot the g26 a fair amount and I have absolutely no problem keeping ahold of it. In fact. I can honestly shot a g26 just as well as I can a g19 or g17.

With the time it takes me to recover between shots with the g27, the reduced capacity compared to the 9mm, cost of ammo to practice, and the noticeable difference in volume and muzzle blast, there is no reason why I would ever choose to own a g27 for anything other than just having another interesting gun to shoot.

I know of at least 3 people personally who have owned them and all ended up giving up on them in favor of a g26 or a s&w shield in 9mm.
Old July 20, 2018, 09:17 AM   #32
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanney1:
Local shop has a used 27 in very good condition.
What are they willing to let it go for? Since you like your G-22, I’d be inclined to go with it assuming the price is right, @$300.00 and not much more.
Old July 20, 2018, 10:48 AM   #33
Lohman446

Carried a 26 for some time. Added an extension for +2 in the magazine. At that point might as well have been carrying a G19. I assume the same goes for the 27/22 choice.

Carried IWB the length of the slide does not make a meaningful difference. The minimal difference in grip length (or height, whatever) was not enough to matter to me.
Old July 20, 2018, 11:13 AM   #34
craddleshooter

My 27 has been my daily carry for 3 years. Perfect and flawless. I did de-horn the frame - I personally like the rounded nose better. 27 is an excellent choice for multiple situations.
Old July 20, 2018, 12:16 PM   #35
scottycoyote

ive owned and carry a g27 for a number of years.....

its just big enough you can shoot it pretty well, pretty good capacity.

its right on the upper edge of what i consider an easy carry weapon. Not too thick, not too heavy

i hear people talk about the snappiness of the 40 round, but me and my gf have shot my 27 and her 26 together and neither of us really noted that much of a difference.
Old July 20, 2018, 12:51 PM   #36
Glenn E. Meyer

It is an empirical test for the user as to whether they like to shoot it.

We are saying that over and over. Because you do or don't like it - you are not them.
Old August 8, 2018, 11:54 AM   #37
JohnGu

I carry a 27 daily. Have installed an after market slide spring, which reduced the recoil. I shoot hot .40 cal and really enjoy it. Never failed to fire.
Old August 8, 2018, 12:17 PM   #38
weblance

My EDC is a 27, now converted to 357. I like shooting 40 from the 27, I think the shorter barrel and loss of velocity because of that takes out a lot of the muzzle flip with 40. I also have a 22 and 23 to compare the 27 with, and I think those have more flip. I think the 27/33 is a winner
Old August 8, 2018, 08:33 PM   #39
Red Devil

Like the GLOCK G23.4 a lot better.

For something smaller? The .45ACP GLOCK G36 is better.

Red
Old August 8, 2018, 08:45 PM   #40
Buckeye!

My EDC is a 27 . Stoked with 180gr HST

I own two 23's .... One is a fulltime 32...

Last edited by Buckeye!; August 8, 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old August 8, 2018, 08:54 PM   #41
Buckeye!

Double post
Old August 9, 2018, 08:38 AM   #42
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil
For something smaller? The .45ACP GLOCK G36 is better.
The Glock 36 is SMALLER than the Glock 27...? Mine sure isn't

Tell us HOW the Glock 36 is better than the Glock 27
Old August 9, 2018, 09:20 AM   #43
COSteve

I own a Glock G20, 21, 22, 23, and 24 so I like Glocks. However, I don't like the G27 for the reason that the grip is too short to accommodate my little finger which is both annoying and causes me to feel uncomfortable shooting one.

You might say, "No problem, get a mag extension." As the concealability of a pistol is more about the grip length than the barrel or slide length, the small grip of the G27 is an advantage for concealment over the G23's.

The problem is that if you add a mag extension for your little finger you've extended the grip to the same length as the G23's but are still stuck with the more limited mag capacity of the smaller G27.

With it's better balance, higher capacity, and much, much better grip, I'll stay with my G23 as my CCW piece and suggest that you find a G23 too.
Old August 9, 2018, 09:26 PM   #44
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by weblance View Post
The Glock 36 is SMALLER than the Glock 27...? Mine sure isn't

Tell us HOW the Glock 36 is better than the Glock 27
Maybe a better term would be "thinner."

The shorter Bbl of the G27 doesn't make it any easier to carry than the G23 IWB, although the shorter grip may.

But the fat lumpy grip and frame is the same, while the G36 is thinner and slab-sided, which really makes it comfortable to carry in a thin suede IWB holster.

G36 with Rhinoplasty

You also give up Service Pistol performance and sight radius with the shorter G27 Bbl, while with +P ammo the G36 has Service Pistol performance and the same sight radius as the G23.

A few more on-board rounds of reduced performance ammo isn't enough to outweigh a similar magazine-fed pistol with fewer, better-preforming rounds that is quickly and easily reloaded.

Nothing wrong with the G27. It's a lot better than the similar 9mm alternatives.

But to me, "smaller" is a lot smaller than the G23... like the G43 or the Sig P938.

YMMV.

Red
Old August 9, 2018, 09:40 PM   #45
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanney1 View Post
How do you think the 9mm will bounce? An ammo shortage? Or that another caliber will come into favor and everyone will be stuck with their 9's? Just wondering what you meant by bounce?
A decade or two of actual field performance data.

The Participation Trophy caliber.

Red
Old August 9, 2018, 10:00 PM   #46
goalie

I love the Gen 3 I bought used for 300 bucks.

It looked brand new, and it shoots anything I feed it.

I shoot it well. I carry it often. I don't GAF whether others like it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old August 13, 2018, 02:49 AM   #47
Snuffy308

image.jpeg

Compared to this, the 27 is a pussycat