The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 11, 2020, 11:27 PM   #1
mel80

6.5 grendel 1760y/1 mile with hornaday 140g match hpbt

i had just finished working up a load with the 140g match hpbt's
28g of power pro varmint cci#400 hornaday brass oal 2.255 leaving my 20 inch barrel at 2400 fps

i pulled that first shot right

anyways i tried to make an attempt at 1760 today but a storm moved in right as i was setting up , winds picked up from a nice calm 2mph to well over 20 mph within 20 minutes while i was making my attempt.

i took 2 refrence shots just to check all the data i had entered in my scope but by then the wind was already around 10+ mph and i said nope no way , so tommorow i will actually go for it

when i was setting up the storm clouds moving in

and the 2 refrence shots i tried to take
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzpkLc1ROSE

i have no doubt that under better conditions i can add the 1 mile/1760yard notch to my grendels belt
Old April 16, 2020, 02:42 PM   #2
2damnold4this

Good luck!
Old April 17, 2020, 01:43 PM   #3
mel80

thanks im actually going to reattempt this today was hoping to do it onlunch break but theres ppl working down range so i have to wait till tonight

this is the best weather we have had since i was originally going to try it

not ideal but ill take 7mph winds over 20+ any day
Old April 27, 2020, 07:23 PM   #4
stagpanther

I think I've read that it can be done--but a fair piece of that distance I'm guessing is going to likely be below transonic which is going to make it challenging. Interested in that powder--haven't heard of it before and it looks like I can use it in my valk loads--already get good results with power pro 2000 MR. Good luck!
Old April 28, 2020, 02:30 AM   #5
std7mag

Looks like your going subsonic about 950 yards out. So, yeah, that's gonna be a long ways subsonic.
2,341" of elevation.
But that's at my current 39°F, 1,500 ft elevation.

I plugged in a 3 mph wind quartering from the left rear, and i got 129" l/h windage.
Again..

I really like Varmint in my wifes 223.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...

Last edited by std7mag; April 28, 2020 at 02:39 AM.
Old April 28, 2020, 05:24 AM   #6
stagpanther

BTW--that's some beautiful property--for a distance shooter must be like living in paradise.
Old April 28, 2020, 11:49 AM   #7
std7mag

Right??!!

I saw Mel80's other thread, man it looks like those bullets are burried deep in the casing!

Old April 28, 2020, 05:22 PM   #8
mel80

I gotta update this when I get home I shot this a few days ago and put the vid on YT last night forgot to post it

I'll reply to posts when I get home hate typing on my cell
Old April 28, 2020, 10:10 PM   #9
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
BTW--that's some beautiful property--for a distance shooter must be like living in paradise.
ty its the farm i work on i have out to 3400 yards to shoot for most of the year once crops start coming up shooting locations disappear
Old April 28, 2020, 10:13 PM   #10
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Looks like your going subsonic about 950 yards out. So, yeah, that's gonna be a long ways subsonic.
2,341" of elevation.
But that's at my current 39°F, 1,500 ft elevation.

I plugged in a 3 mph wind quartering from the left rear, and i got 129" l/h windage.
Again..

I really like Varmint in my wifes 223.
112moa /2006 inches at my elevation witht he overly hot load i used bullet goes subsonic at about 1100 yards

my next long range and final distance with the grendel is 2k yards with a 130g nosler rdf and then i go back to playing with my 6.5 cm at longer ranges
Old April 28, 2020, 10:17 PM   #11
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Right??!!

I saw Mel80's other thread, man it looks like those bullets are burried deep in the casing!
heck yes they are

first shot is clipped out of the video by accident
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8jXqfAo94
Old April 29, 2020, 08:03 AM   #12
stagpanther

I used to do a heck of a lot of Grendel shooting when they first came out. One thing I remember is that you need to keep a close eye on those cases if you like hot loads, they stretch pretty easily and may need to have the shoulders bumped back periodically. First sign of neck brittleness I toss em.
Old April 29, 2020, 09:42 AM   #13
mel80

Quote:
I used to do a heck of a lot of Grendel shooting when they first came out. One thing I remember is that you need to keep a close eye on those cases if you like hot loads, they stretch pretty easily and may need to have the shoulders bumped back periodically. First sign of neck brittleness I toss em.

i have lossened primer pockets and split a few necks alot of my brass has 5,6,7 reloads on it at this point so was bound to happen soon anyways, i already have some brand new brass on the way though
Old April 29, 2020, 01:06 PM   #14
stagpanther

This may or may not be of interest to you, thought I'd post em anyway. This is a picture of the 6mm predator--basically ARP's take on a Grendel necked down to 6mm. You might find you get some flattening and increased velocity out of a Grendel-based cartridge trajectory--much as a 6mm Creedmoor does for the 6.5 Creedmoor. The magazine in the background is cavity back's modified PRI magazine with front cut-out; I've found it to be essential for any Grendel or 6.8 spc wildcat that is "hotrodded" to take maximum advantage of maximum COL/case capacity.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2953.jpg (162.6 KB, 306 views)
Old April 29, 2020, 08:40 PM   #15
mel80

hmm this gives me ideas thanks
Old April 30, 2020, 12:26 PM   #16
stagpanther

BTW--I couldn't find varmint anywhere except Powder Valley which had one last 8 pounder. I decided to bite the bullet and buy it anyway, I'm starting to see wide-spread powder shortages that are trademarks of market panics. I have everything I need to keep ammo going for all my weapons probably for the rest of my life--except powder, that's the one area even a reloader is vulnerable to a zombie apocalypse SHTF panic run on LGS's.
Old April 30, 2020, 09:48 PM   #17
mel80

Quote:
BTW--I couldn't find varmint anywhere except Powder Valley which had one last 8 pounder. I decided to bite the bullet and buy it anyway, I'm starting to see wide-spread powder shortages that are trademarks of market panics. I have everything I need to keep ammo going for all my weapons probably for the rest of my life--except powder, that's the one area even a reloader is vulnerable to a zombie apocalypse SHTF panic run on LGS's.
everyone keeps telling me ppv will spike when temps go above 80 , i havent seen that happen yet and weve been mid 80,s here already
Old May 1, 2020, 10:51 AM   #18
stagpanther

Don't think that will be a problem where I live, still in the 40's here. : )
Old May 1, 2020, 01:10 PM   #19
std7mag

Alliant's Power Pro series, along with RL16, RL23, RL26 are supposed to be "temp stable" along with the anti copper additive much like Hodgdons Enduron line.

Oh, add in AR Comp also.

Old May 1, 2020, 04:41 PM   #20
stagpanther

I bought some enduron powder and have so far been very unimpressed--have you found any particular stellar loads?