The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 14, 2022, 09:51 AM   #26
gwpercle

The absolute easiest and the one that goes with me every day ...
... after starting with a S&W Model 60 J-Frame all steel 2" bbl. , 38 special in 1967 and over the years trying everything ... including a full size 1911 in 45 acp and a S&W model 58 41 Magnum N-frame ... Compact and sub-compact semi-auto's and a 2 " bbl. Tarus K-frame sized 45 acp revolver ...
I've come full circle ... The Best ... a S&W J-frame model 637 Airweight in 38 special !
I'm now back to the J-frame S&W and have discovered ... nothing beats a snub nose J-frame for ease of carry and the Airweight is so light you hardly notice it ... and rated for +P ammo to boot . The Airweight is SWEET !
Gary
Old September 15, 2022, 12:07 AM   #27
balin

For the last 15 years you have been able to find me wearing my smart carry or AIWB daily. Often with my Karh PM9.
Old September 15, 2022, 12:36 PM   #28
redbird1911

Sig Sauer P365x

So far the Sig p365X is the most comfortable gun I've ever carried. I carry IWB at the 1 and/or 2 O'clock area. I have a Kydex "BraDeC" holster brand off eBay, with the "wing/claw" which pulls it against my body some.
Haven't ever had a revolver to compare it to, but I can see why a smaller J-frame could be best.
I really want to try a shoulder holster carry, but haven't found one I've settled on yet. I don't want mag pouches, just a simple strap around the shoulder with a holster and drop a gun in. My guess is, nothing can be as comfortable as a shoulder carry, but I've not tried it yet.
Old September 25, 2022, 03:14 PM   #29
V-fib

tall thin guy here. Fist superthin Kydex holster, S&W 642 at 1pm appendix carry.
sometimes forget it"s even there.
V-fib
Old September 26, 2022, 10:07 AM   #30
gwpercle

double post - deleted
Old September 26, 2022, 11:27 AM   #31
ChimpMunk20

The smaller pistols like the SIG P365 and SA Hellcat do not work for me. My personal picks for CCW are Glock 19 and Walther PPS. If I could have only one it would be my Glock 19 but the Walther PPS is a bit better for me for all day carry comfort. While I shoot both well the edge in shooting ability definitely goes to my Glock 19 and of course I have 15 rounds for capacity then.

As mentioned already there is no "best choice" that would work for everyone. My priorities for CCW pistol are good concealability and comfort, extreme reliability, and I must be able to shoot it very well. No matter how highly recommended a particular pistol is, If I can't shoot it very well I rule it out.

For a new shooter a highly recommend taking a beginners pistol shooting class before even looking for a pistol because if one does not have the basic fundamentals (stance/grip/sights/trigger control) of shooting it is pure luck picking out the right pistol and how a pistol "feels in the hand" does not mean squat in how well one can actually shoot a pistol,
Old September 26, 2022, 08:17 PM   #32
Limnophile

A CZ 83 at 4:30 in a UBG Regulator, an OWB leather holster. I just quit tucking my shirts in when I started carrying a decade ago. I'm in the Pacific Northwet, so am generally well clothed, but OWB works even on a hot summer day with just an untucked, generously sized T-shirt. If you seek comfort, nothing beats OWB.

We have state constitutional open carry, but I've never been made. Just have to remember to not reach for top-shelf groceries with my gun arm if I'm just wearing a shirt. I also started carrying my wallet in my back left pocket so as not to expose my sidearm while reaching for the wallet.

At 4:30, I can reach the pistol with my weak hand if necessary, and I don't have to violate a cardinal gun safety rule.

For deep concealment I have a Beretta Tomcat that I pocket carry.
Old September 29, 2022, 09:46 AM   #33
Smaug

I haven't tried an LCP yet, but I hear they're The Best for being easy to carry, while still having adequate power. Some folks even saying they forget they have it and end up carrying it places they shouldn't by accident. I handled LCPs and just can't get into them.

For myself, I decided the Sig P365 is enough bigger, both in size, sights and caliber, but not so big that I can't carry it just about any way I want. So far, I only have an IWB holster that I carry at 4:00. The gun is thin, but I need to either sand down some of the grip pattern or get an IWB holster that protects my love handle from getting rubbed raw.

What's interesting is that I prefer carrying my LCR. I'm conflicted about it, as it is thicker, has half the capacity and is slower to reload. (not that I carry a reload) I shoot the LCR a bit better and it feels a lot better in the hand than the P365, but those two things aren't likely to matter in self defense situations. I just LIKE the LCR better, so I choose to settle for it.

Maybe a Hogue sleeve grip would bring that P365 to The Next Level...

OP, how does the J-frame in appendix carry not bother you when you sit down? Even with a softer holster, it seems like it'd be poking you in uncomfortable places...

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old September 29, 2022, 01:37 PM   #34
GeauxTide

A Glock 43 with x2 mags in a Remora (with mag pouch) inside the right hip.
Old September 29, 2022, 08:30 PM   #35
RKG

Compact auto, in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard, at 3:15-4:00 OWB, and dress around it. Enough gun; there should I ever need it in a hurry; and so comfortable I sometimes forget it is there. Lots of drilling on draw, presentation, firing and then prompt reholstering.
Old September 29, 2022, 08:40 PM   #36
mrray13

Carried daily is a Shield owb, but easiest is a CW9 in the front pocket.

Last edited by mrray13; October 2, 2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old September 30, 2022, 09:53 AM   #37
great scot

I pocket carry and find it the most comfortable way to carry a gun. I have 3 guns that I rotate depending on what I’m wearing. I use a Ruger LCP Max, a Smith 351c, and a NAA .22 magnum.