The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 27, 2022, 11:43 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

I understand your enjoyment of the "perfect" SA's for you. I'm in a similar, but different boat.

Having spent so much time (and ammo) with my 83 Blackhawk .45 7.5", when I handle others such as flattops, New Vaqueros, and all the Colt and Colt size clones, they just seem small to me. Implying weak and flimsy. I know they're not, but it just seems that way to me.

7.5" 45 Blackhawks, Super Blackhawk and a 6.5" Blackhawk in .357. All wear Pachmayr grips, and all work great for me. Yes, they're big guns, but I LIKE that.

I also have several .45 Vaqueros, and while I like them too, I just don't like them quite as much.
Old August 28, 2022, 08:56 AM   #27
rclark

Quote:
...and all work great for me.
That's the 'key' to all of this and why we have a plethora of sixguns to choose from . And nice to live(d) in an age where we can pick and choose and find the 'right' one(s) for each of us.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 28, 2022, 09:16 AM   #28
stinkeypete

I’ve had several of these convertible cylinders and after one trip to the range or so and the oddball sits in the grey Ruger box until the gun sells.

The cheap single stage Lee press is still with me 30 years later.

I doubt there is a better cartridge to begin reloading for than .45 LC. You can keep upgrading gear if you insist, but a press, set of dies and Lee Dippers (measuring spoons) will get you a long way. Then get a powder scale.

When you get tired of washing used brass by shaking it in an old Wide mouthed juice bottle, you can get a tumbler.

The next time there is an ammo shortage, you can smirk online!

I think that’s a better use of money than refitting a cylinder.
Old August 28, 2022, 10:28 PM   #29
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I doubt there is a better cartridge to begin reloading for than .45 LC. You can keep upgrading gear if you insist, but a press, set of dies and Lee Dippers (measuring spoons) will get you a long way. Then get a powder scale.
I agree with you, 45 Colt was the first cartridge I learned to reload. However, I would suggest getting a powder scale along with the other stuff when you start loading it. Particularly if you are using Lee dippers with Smokeless. Too much variation when dipping Smokeless powders. Black Powder is fine with dippers, +/- a grain or two does not matter with Black Powder. I cannot say the same with some of the denser Smokeless powders.
Old August 30, 2022, 08:42 AM   #30
reloader28

44 AMP, a Ron Powers free spin pawl is easy to install and do yourself. Mine needed a bit of filing to match my gun but it was easy.

To the OP, any decent gunsmith with a mill and a reamer can make a custom cylinder, its not hard to do.
Old August 30, 2022, 11:43 AM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
44 AMP, a Ron Powers free spin pawl is easy to install and do yourself. Mine needed a bit of filing to match my gun but it was easy.
ok. Thanks for the info.

A pawl can't be all that expensive, and I know I'm capable of doing any fitting needed, but I got the gun in 83, and I'm pretty happy with it, as is.

Had those kind of parts been available back then, when I was still tinkering and tuning the gun, I'd probably have been interested, but I'm well past that point today. Thanks anyway!
Old September 20, 2022, 04:20 PM   #32
Linker

45 colt was my first to reload also. I have a Ruger Bisley with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Bought one back in late 80s and stupidly sold it. Got another in probably in 2004 and it likes bullets on heavy side. 250 to 265 grains. Tried 225s and a no go. Heavies only.