The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 19, 2022, 11:08 AM   #1
OldMarksman
Staff

A Car Jacking

The crime of car-jacking, which is a crime against persons, has been becoming more and more frequent.

Whether one should attempt to employ deadly force in the event of car-jacking is a function of whether it would be necessary to do so to prevent death or serious bodily harm. Sometimes the answer is no. At other times, it is a judgment call, and one must decide whether compliance, resistance, or driving away would be more prudent.

I like to have the option. I carry a pistol in a pocket accessible by the left hand while I am strapped in.

The driver in this video keeps his in the door. The perp entered his car, and he decided to use deadly force. The incident is worth contemplating.

Note that he has his attorney with him during the interview.

https://www.deltadefense.com/offers/...=61794fa68f6f1
Old January 19, 2022, 03:05 PM   #2
WyMark

Thanks, that was an interesting and informative discussion.
Old January 20, 2022, 09:05 AM   #3
eastbank

drive a old ford pinto stick shift and never worry about it. a 5 minute delay kill switch may be the answer, that would need to be reset under the hood.
Old January 20, 2022, 11:03 AM   #4
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
drive a old ford pinto stick shift and never worry about it. a 5 minute delay kill switch may be the answer, that would need to be reset under the hood
That would work (except for Rideshare) if the perp tries to leave in the car by himself, Not here.
Old January 20, 2022, 01:09 PM   #5
OldMarksman
Staff

That is one scary video. Consider the possibilities:
  • The victim complies and is later allowed to leave the car. That's the best outcome.
  • The victim resists and defends himself successfully.
  • The victim resists and is killed or injured.
The perp's reaching into the driver's pocket is a bad indication. His being in the back seat make things pretty iffy.

Perhaps a good training exercise.
Old January 20, 2022, 05:08 PM   #6
Ukrainitz

Had a Ford Pinto. Always left unlocked with key in ignition. No takers. One time someone left Cleveland Browns season tickets on dash.
Old January 20, 2022, 05:50 PM   #7
OldMarksman
Staff

Refers tp grand theft auto. Different animal.
Old January 20, 2022, 06:59 PM   #8
FITASC

Shoot the criminal, rely on better tried by 12 than carried by 6 - especially true, it seems lately, in Philadelphia
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 20, 2022, 07:31 PM   #9
Moonglum

Was the car locked?
Old January 20, 2022, 09:31 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
That is one scary video. Consider the possibilities:

The victim complies and is later allowed to leave the car. That's the best outcome.
The victim resists and defends himself successfully.
The victim resists and is killed or injured.
You forgot one. Victim complies and they kill or injure him anyway.

https://kfdm.com/news/local/carjacki...-understand-it
Old January 20, 2022, 09:43 PM   #11
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
You forgot one. Victim complies and they kill or injure him anyway.
Yes. Thanks.
Old January 21, 2022, 03:25 AM   #12
DaleA

Just a quick recap.

It's about a 22 minute video of a discussion of a carjacking of a Rideshare driver.

It includes the dash cam video of the actual carjacking and the video quality is very good. Spoiler alert: no shots are fired.

There is some legal information from a lawyer too.

IMhO it's a very worth while video to watch. Thanks for posting the link.
Old January 21, 2022, 09:04 AM   #13
Ed4032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainitz View Post
Had a Ford Pinto. Always left unlocked with key in ignition. No takers. One time someone left Cleveland Browns season tickets on dash.
That’s so funny!! But I’m sure it is a true story.
Old January 21, 2022, 06:12 PM   #14
OldMarksman
Staff

If the victim]is approached before entering the car or after getting out of it, something has likely gone wrong--and the best response is probably compliance.

In the case at hand, the perp entered the car with the victim in it. That presents a tougher choice.
Old January 22, 2022, 09:04 AM   #15
robmkivseries70

Once the bad guy(s) present a weapon all bets are off, the danger is too great for anything but deadly force.
Best,
Rob
Old January 22, 2022, 10:25 AM   #16
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Once the bad guy(s) present a weapon all bets are off, the danger is too great for anything but deadly force.
Trying to bring out a weapon could be a very iffy thing to do at that point.
Old January 23, 2022, 05:08 PM   #17
robmkivseries70

Agreed, in a legal sense you are green lighted almost anywhere. Tactically, seeing a weapon sooner is better.
Best,
Rob
Old January 23, 2022, 06:06 PM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Quote:
Trying to bring out a weapon could be a very iffy thing to do at that point.
Once the bad guys bring out a weapon and threaten you with it, things are ALREADY iffy at that point as your life is already being threatened.

Fighting back can get you killed. Compliance can get you killed. Trying to run away can get you killed. As with the driver in the video above, he played his cards and waited until the appropriate opportunity. You can be stupid like the deceased security guard at the White Settlement Church or you can be smart like the head of security that waited for a distraction or misdirection.
Old January 23, 2022, 07:34 PM   #19
Ed4032

You do have to wait for your turn to shoot. Early drawing could be bad.
Old January 24, 2022, 10:02 AM   #20
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Once the bad guys bring out a weapon and threaten you with it, things are ALREADY iffy at that point as your life is already being threatened.

Fighting back can get you killed. Compliance can get you killed. Trying to run away can get you killed. As with the driver in the video above, he played his cards and waited until the appropriate opportunity. You can be stupid like the deceased security guard at the White Settlement Church or you can be smart like the head of security that waited for a distraction or misdirection
Very well put indeed.

If I am outside the car or am told to get out, my default tactic would be to comply.

If they get into the car with me and do not tell me to get out, I will be thinking about trying to neutralize them when I can.
Old January 24, 2022, 01:09 PM   #21
Bentonville

Great interview. Professionally and thoughtfully done . Thanks for posting .
Old January 24, 2022, 02:11 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMarksman
Very well put indeed.

If I am outside the car or am told to get out, my default tactic would be to comply.

If they get into the car with me and do not tell me to get out, I will be thinking about trying to neutralize them when I can.
Another factor is who is/isn't with you. If your family is in the car while you are outside the car and the carjacker is willing to let them exit the vehicle, I would continue to comply. If the carjacker is not willing to let me remove my family then compliance isn't something I can consider.

I have done the carjacking scenario and a number of other scenarios in force on force, scenario based training events. To echo some comments above, beating a drawn weapon is extremely difficult. I know some people that are unwilling to consider compliance regardless of the scenario. I've seen firsthand in that training how that can go.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 24, 2022, 04:41 PM   #23
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Another factor is who is/isn't with you.
Yes indeed.