The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 26, 2017, 10:44 AM   #101
drobs

Sounds like you're fighting the hand / leaf spring. You could take a small punch and press the hand in while pulling the hammer down and out.

Need about three hands to do that...
Old January 26, 2017, 03:07 PM   #102
45 Dragoon

Just install the cyl and it will push the hand back enough to allow removal. The front left corner of the hand needs to be removed to keep your situation from happening. Next time, remove the action parts first, then remove the barrel assy & cyl.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old January 26, 2017, 04:07 PM   #103
JACKlangrishe

Well, that did it! Thanks drobs!!

Also, here's the arbor, 44 Dave -

the flat spot your referring to, do you mean where it seats into the arbor hole? I don't see any obvious flat areas other than that.

Edit: Just caught Mike's reply as well.

Last edited by JACKlangrishe; January 26, 2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old January 26, 2017, 04:09 PM   #104
JACKlangrishe

Thanks Mike!! That makes perfect sense! I'm surprised so many detail stripping tutorials don't mention that.
Old January 26, 2017, 04:14 PM   #105
JACKlangrishe

Also, I'm noticing some slight wear on the hand and some silver looking peening on the hammer cam. The action had only been cycled a few times to ensure good timing before stripping.

Not sure if it's from the fitting at the factory or not. Here's some photos.. let me know what you think.

the hand-

the hammer cam- (it was hard to get a good shot of the affected area, so I took a few with different lighting angles)

Last edited by JACKlangrishe; January 26, 2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old January 26, 2017, 05:49 PM   #106
44 Dave

DSCN5534 (Small).JPG
Here is an arbor (don't take them out) showing the area flattened for the hand to clear

don't know why I can't get the picture to show with out you having to click on it
Old January 26, 2017, 06:04 PM   #107
JACKlangrishe

woah! Never seen an arbor out of the frame before!

I was just going through the Pettifogger docs and saw the flat spot you're referring to. I do not believe mine is flat there, I'll know when I get back home in about 10 minutes.
Old January 26, 2017, 07:36 PM   #108
45 Dragoon

Jack,
Your foto shows clearly how the bolt arm is sliding off the side of the cam. It should fall straight off the front. A continuing use of this situation will lead to degraded timing and ultimately replacement of the hammer cam and the bolt. This is pretty much the norm and why "fixing" the factory offerings is the best of all situations. I had a '60 Army pretty much shear off the cam on a Pietta offering in less than 50 cycles. Some here even questioned that but . . . . whatever. This was a revolver sent to me for a magazine article.

Leaving that alone, there is so much you could do to that revolver just to make it work better, be more shooter friendly, quit destroying itself, allow you to be in control of the weapon rather than fighting the weapon just to use it. The best advice I could give you is to get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book " The Colt Single Action Revolver A Shop Manual " . It is the best " hands on" instruction of how, what, and why. Or, you can PM me your number and I could talk you through some things. I don't have time to peck it all out on a keyboard!

It's good to see someone interested in the correct way to set up a single action revolver!

Careful what you learn watching YouTube vids! Most don't have a clue!! (Not to mention WHO you listen too).

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

BTW, you can watch what's going on "inside" by removing the trigger guard and just watching. You'll see the arm scooting off the side of the cam rather than falling off the front.
Old January 26, 2017, 08:34 PM   #109
Hawg

Quote:
Careful what you learn watching YouTube vids! Most don't have a clue!! (Not to mention WHO you listen too).
HEY!!!! I didn't said nuffin.
Old January 26, 2017, 08:55 PM   #110
45 Dragoon

Lol!! Not the Hawgster!!!
Hawg knows what's going on! He's got tons of experience on his side!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old January 26, 2017, 09:18 PM   #111
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg knows what's going on! He's got tons of experience on his side!
Tons of using experience and I can fix'em when they're broke but you sir are the master when it comes to smithing and tuning.
Old January 26, 2017, 11:22 PM   #112
Model12Win

That Pietta is a BUET!!! LOOOOOVE IT!!! Those go on sale at Cabelas all the time.
Old January 27, 2017, 09:44 AM   #113
JACKlangrishe

Mike!! You've been sent from above to show me the way!
That book is getting ordered immediately!

I definitely want to take you up on that call, but will need to do a fair amount of reading first. I want to make sure my concepts are straight and my questions are ready.

I absolutely believe you about shearing off the cam within 50 cycles. I did the above in about 6 - 8 cycles.

I have LOTS to learn, and I'm glad. I want to learn it all, one page at a time.

And you're right about Hawg! There are a few key members here who I can tell know their stuff. I'll probably be waiting for the book for a few days, and won't be able to resist more online research. Once I think I have an idea on how to address this, I'll post some detailed pics and descriptions of what I plan to do and will wait for the nod before I actually start taking files or sandpaper to it.

Can't thank you guys enough.
Boy, this is turning into some thread.
Old January 27, 2017, 10:25 AM   #114
drobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
HEY!!!! I didn't said nuffin.
I'm sure that comment was meant for me.
Old January 27, 2017, 01:30 PM   #115
45 Dragoon

Well, thank you for the compliment Jack! I can't take all the credit though. I must admit I learned (and still learn) from probably the most knowledgeable S.A.A. authority on the planet!! His name is Jim Martin and he was the "proof reader" as well as a main contributor to the book by Jerry Kuhnhausen. Any time I come up with a "possibly different" technique or a "how 'bout this" scenario, I get a (quickly sometimes !! Lol) yes, no, (with a full explanation as to why!) or (rarely) . . . "interesting "!! That's when we go through the process for the " what would be the downside" or a " yes, I can see that . . . . "!! It's awesome and quite an honor to have access to such a wealth of knowledge about something so " simple" as the action parts of a single action and what works , doesn't work, the pros and cons of doing certain things.
It's this authority (and with my own experience) that I base my comments on.

Thanks again,
Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old January 27, 2017, 02:02 PM   #116
45 Dragoon

Why Drobs . . . . . whatever do you mean?

Let's not highjack the thread. There are videos from certain CA folks that do nothing but destroy actions with there " How toos". That's what I had in mind . . . .

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old January 27, 2017, 03:59 PM   #117
drobs

My mistake, carry on.
Old January 27, 2017, 11:15 PM   #118
Beagle333

Quote:
45 Dragoon: ".......The best advice I could give you is to get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book " The Colt Single Action Revolver A Shop Manual " . It is the best " hands on" instruction of how, what, and why."
I seen that Midwayusa.com has em for $37
You might find better somewhere, but I did see em there.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 27, 2017, 11:33 PM   #119
JACKlangrishe

$37 +shipping is as low as I can find it. Brownells has it as well.

I was hoping to buy a digital copy so I can dig into it right away, and not have to worry about ever losing it, getting it greasy, etc., but no luck.
Old September 20, 2017, 10:44 PM   #120
drobs

Jack,

We need an update. How does the guns shoot?