The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2016, 03:58 PM   #1
YTL424

Primers in carpet

Does anyone know "first hand" of a primer detonatiing when sucked up in a vacuum cleaner.

I have heard a 100 stories but no first hand experiances.

I'm thinking of moving by reloading equipment into the house to my "Man Cave". When the Wife vacuums my room, the consequences of a primer going off in her vacuum cleaner would be bad fo me.
Old August 31, 2016, 04:41 PM   #2
mikld

Perhaps I'm just lucky but the only place I had a primer pop is in a primer pocket in a gun (excepting my Lee Loader). I have vacuumed some up with a Dirt Devil, I've inadvertently stepped on a few, loaded an occasional primer backwards or sideways, and in 30+ years of playing with primers, powder and bullets, not one went off when it wasn't supposed to...

I too have heard all the warnings, but do not know anyone who experienced an OOPS! with primers...
Old August 31, 2016, 04:51 PM   #3
FITASC

Maybe IF you are using a vac with the beater brush. If I have a spill, I use a shop vac. Secondly, put an office chair mat or area rug under your reloading spot and that should take care of it - either pick them up off the hard chair mat or take the area rug to the garage and recover them.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; August 31, 2016 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old August 31, 2016, 05:09 PM   #4
dahermit

Safest to use would be a Wet or Dry Shop Vac type (or the equivalent), of vacuum...the no blades or motor between the hose and container. Air is drawn out of the container which causes a partial vacuum in the hose, which draws debris into the container. The container having a larger volume than than the hose, the draft drops and the debris fall to the bottom of the container. If one is still worried, one can put the foam "belt" (intended for wet applications) around the motor and a primer could not get through (it would not get near the motor anyway), but running the Wet or Dry vacuum with the foam filter will plug it up soon in a dusty environment.
Old August 31, 2016, 05:37 PM   #5
turtlehead

I have one primer unaccounted for somewhere in the carpet right now.
Old August 31, 2016, 05:48 PM   #6
lamarw

Why not practice safety and vacuum your own room? Load your own and vacuum your own. I suspect your wife will not object.

Last edited by Unclenick; September 1, 2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling clarification
Old August 31, 2016, 06:34 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

They do in a Kirby. Just ask my wife.
Old August 31, 2016, 06:47 PM   #8
firewrench044

while watching TV with the wife ( in the living room )
I was priming cases with a Lee hand primer
I had an OOPS and primers went every where
OK fine I'll clean them up ( out of the carpet )
I put in a new vacuum cleaner bag ( so I could retrieve the primers )
Almost done and BOOM
A primer got between the aluminum vacuum cleaner housing and the
aluminum fan blade
blew a hole in the vacuum housing
1 out of 50 got caught just rite

The wife has a new vacuum cleaner
( she picked out the HI DOLLAR one )

6 years ago, and I will never hear the end of it
I am sure it will hear about it at my funeral

And I DO NOT do any loading procedures any
where but the MAN CAVE
( NO CARPET )
Old August 31, 2016, 10:21 PM   #9
Clark

I have been asking as long as there have been www gun forums... How can I set off a primer with vacuum cleaner?

It seems to be like light loads detonation and pointed bullets in a tube feed. All worry and no data.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 31, 2016, 10:36 PM   #10
Colorado Redneck

Yeah, i had one detonate in the vacuum. Despite denial and contrary opinion, it happened when I was cleaning the Man Cave. Immediately hauled the vac outside, changed the bag. No bad outcome, but I don't recomend doing that. A smooth floor matt would help, but a primer can go clear across the room after it hits the floor.
Old September 1, 2016, 01:37 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Simple solution:
Don't drop primers in the carpet.

And if you do, vacuum it yourself.
Don't let the significant other have an opportunity for an, "I told you that S*@* was dangerous!"-moment.

Personally, I've vacuumed up probably 300-400 live primers in my time. None have detonated, whether I was using the dying Dirt Devil, the stupidly-expensive Shark, or the cheap 'Shop Vac'.

I do avoid the situation, though. My last reloading room had laminate flooring, and the current location has a concrete floor. No need for a vacuum. A broom does all the work.
Old September 1, 2016, 02:53 AM   #12
HiBC

There is more than one design of vacuum.
and yes,the previously mentioned Kirby will set off primers.

I think its because the Kirby tried to be like a Shopsmith.Multiple tools driven by a powerhead.
The dirt and debris actually goes through the high speed turbo vanes.The turbine is upstream of the filter..Sucking up a penny would make a lot of racket.I don't know the RPM,but I'd guess in the zone of 10,000. Whack. And certainly there IS a possibility the dust in the bag could act like tinder with sparks and airflow.

Most other vacuums have the turbine and motor downstream of the filter.The primers would be filtered out before striking the turbine.
Beater brushes? I won't say its impossible for them to pop a primer,but it is less likely than a Kirby type turbine.

Shop type vacs just use vacuum,no brush.Air is filtered before it reaches the turbine.
Old September 1, 2016, 06:58 AM   #13
cecILL

If you have to vacuum primers, put a piece of panty hose in the vacuum nozzle.
Old September 1, 2016, 08:05 AM   #14
MislMan

When I start to reload at the bench I place a large towel (beach towel) on the floor to catch any falling items. The towel being fluffy catches things and cushions the fall with little or no bounce/movement/rolling. Then just pick up towel when finished and scoop up any dropped items.
Old September 1, 2016, 08:12 AM   #15
mrdaputer

I also say shop vac and if you don't have one we will have to shave a few points off your man card
Old September 1, 2016, 08:46 AM   #16
briandg

A whack by a soft rubber beater or the brush is really unlikely to set it off. Those things are meant to require not only impact but crushing pressure. Sure, it's probable that it can happen, especially if the thing has many, many hard obstruction in the path of air flow.

I believe that it is possible, but highly unlikely with most vacuums.

It's going to be real hard to pull them out of a loose carpet with just suction. if the carpet isn't something that it can fall into, the thing I would do is just turn the beater off. All of ours have a way to do thta.
Old September 1, 2016, 08:49 AM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

I like The principle cecILL presented, only I would probably pick something that allows more air flow, like Nylon window screen. You could engage it to the end of a hose with rubber bands, or if you have enough taper in the connections, you might be able to put the screen over the hose, then the nozzle over it to hold it in place. The primers will be picked up and stay on the screen until you turn off of the power. Do that with the end pointed into your collection bucket. This way the primers never go through the machinery at all.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 1, 2016, 01:26 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

Should be reloading in your "Man Cave" already. And have indoor/outdoor carpeting, not shag.
There's nothing in a vacuum cleaner that will crush a primer with sufficient force to set it off. Probably is in the power head of a high priced machine like a Kirby. Really sad thing that all of us know what that is too. snicker.
Old September 1, 2016, 10:26 PM   #19
HiBC

No,what is that,Oheir? snicker
Old September 2, 2016, 12:51 AM   #20
colbad

I have had a .22 detonate when it got sucked up in the vacuum so I would expect a primer to do the same. The vacuum cleaner was an old style with the agitator brushes. The comments about the brushes not moving fast enough are not true. The brushes are attached to a metal thing that spins. I'm sure it was the metal thing that set it off. I did not even hear it go off, but smelled the distinctive odor of gun powder and found the spent case rattling in the vacuum head. The loose shell did not have much power to damage anything but it defiantly went off.

Last edited by colbad; September 2, 2016 at 01:01 AM.
Old September 2, 2016, 03:02 AM   #21
Hammerhead

I've vacuumed my share, but my small canister vac has no beater and stuff goes straight into the paper bag. Pretty safe that way I hope, because there's plenty of powder in the carpet too.
Old September 2, 2016, 03:17 AM   #22
caz223

I got a wet/dry vac with a HEPA filter, a drywall dust bag, and a dust deputy cyclone separator, and 300 feet of hose.
Sometimes I don't want to be the guy that has to pee on the electric fence to learn something new.
I can hear primers hit and rattle for a second when they hit the steel cyclone.
I hope they are just spent ones.......
Now I worry about the static setting them off.
I'll be back in a minute, I gotta empty the cyclone......
Old September 2, 2016, 09:53 AM   #23
robert1804

Definitely popped a CCI SP a few days ago with a kirby. The sound, followed by the smell were proof. Kirby's are merciless.
Old September 19, 2016, 06:58 PM   #24
microgun

Primer in rug

Hahahaha...no but that might get the cleaning lady moving. Wsy back in high school my buddys mom sucked up a live 22 round while vacuming and it blew a hole in the vacume. Mamma wasent happy
Old September 20, 2016, 02:01 AM   #25
Pathfinder45

What cecILL said in post#13.......It's like Hints from Heloise....