The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 20, 2014, 03:49 PM   #1
GeeRawkz

Scope for 308? Pew pew long range?

Good afternoon all,

I sit here lighting up a delicious cigar and starting my search for a good optic for my 308 to be accurately hitting targets around the 450 to 600 yard range. Preferably in that $1000 or less range but if really that good would spend a bit more.

I've heard from hunting buddies variable is way to go to get that long range and if something jumps in front of you you can switch magnification down for a closer range thought.

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old October 20, 2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Pond, James Pond

I don't know enough about scopes to really advise what to buy but I will share my experience and you can use it if you wish.

One question I anticipate will come up is what your targets are going to be. Steel plates, paper, deer or pygmy shrews!! All of those will probably affect your choice.

I also bought a scope for longer range shooting, even if this far exceeds my skills for now. I bought a Burris XTR 312 scope. It has nice big turrets, parralax adjustment, good glass so really quite well equipped. However, at the maximum 12x magnification even when only shooting 300m the other day, I realised that for longer ranges I'd soon start to miss the detail of higher magnification.

So I will venture that perhaps for those ranges you should look at 4-16x as a minimum. If you are just shooting a gong, then 12x may be enough, but I can't imagine doing anything more precise than covering the target at 600 with mine...
Old October 20, 2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Snyper

It's tough to beat a Leupold

Get one with an adjustable objective, and target turrets and you'll be set for what you want
Old October 20, 2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Ske1etor

SWFA SS 6×42 if you're thinking fixed power.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactica...pe-P53711.aspx

Weaver 3-15×50 if you're wanting variable.
http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-15x50-Tacti...pe-P55482.aspx

Mildot is easy to learn, make a dope/holdover card and never guess where your bullet is going to impact again.

Also, the weaver is first focal plane so you don't have to do math to adjust for magnification level.
Old October 20, 2014, 06:21 PM   #5
HiBC

Agreed,it depends on your target and expectations.

And,with quality optics,you might see more clearly with 6x than poorer optics at 16x.

The primitive little 2.5xscopes on WW2 1903A4 sniper rifles were deemed effective to 600 yds.

The USGImodern 7.62 sniper rifles were designated 800 yd effective with a 10X scope.The 800 limitation is more about the 7.62 than the optic..

This forum does not let me re-post the same photo,but I have a pic of a 600 yd target,3 shots,all well within the orange center diamond of a common sight in target.Rifle,AR10T,barrel,Kreiger,scope,Leupold 3.5 to 10x M-3

I can see a 100 yd target just fine at a 1090yd lasered spot I had to shoot with a Leupold 4.5 to 14x50mm VX 3 30 mm tube long range.

I believe at least some of the 600 meter effective SDMR s had Leupold 2.5 to 8x scopes,and,once again,the 5.56 cartridge is the limiting factor.

But,for bench rest,or field mice..400 yd grasshoppers,you might want more.

IMO,less is more.Strapping an astronomical telescope on top a rifle makes them quite ungainly...unless you only pack the rifle from the pickup to the bench.
Old October 20, 2014, 06:36 PM   #6
OneshotRob

Check these out to.. i have one on a AR30 308.. Great scope for the money

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-1-moa-reticle
Old October 21, 2014, 07:53 AM   #7
tobnpr

At a 600 yard max, hunting application, I think a 4-16- first focal plane, MRAD reticle would be a good choice.

I don't own a FFP optic as all my LR shooting is done at known ranges, but in a hunting application where ranging the animal would be necessary FFP optics shine- it's either that, or a rangefinder.

Here is a good video you should watch to explain the difference between FFP and SFP scopes:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/fi...nd_focal_plane

And here would be my choice for your application:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Viper...pe-P44561.aspx

If you have a rangefinder and don't want to spend the extra dough on an FFP, Vortex has a new line (HST) that would be another good choice:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x44-Viper...pe-P63837.aspx
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old October 21, 2014, 10:36 AM   #8
MtnCreek

IMHO, a great scope for the money:

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-12x44-Eli...pe-P48268.aspx
Old October 21, 2014, 04:54 PM   #9
AllenJ

For less than $1000 it is hard to beat the Vortex Viper PST's in my opinion, good glass and from what I've heard and read excellent warranty service.
Old October 22, 2014, 10:25 AM   #10
mxsailor803

I'm a Vortex and Leupold fan. Really just depends on what you are looking for in a scope.
Old October 22, 2014, 11:09 AM   #11
Beentown71

Vortex guy here. Mi will continue to purchase their products.

Great value
Great optics
Great warranty
Many options
Old October 22, 2014, 12:34 PM   #12
GeeRawkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsailor803 View Post
I'm a Vortex and Leupold fan. Really just depends on what you are looking for in a scope.

Really a good variable scope in that above specified range distance. My research seems to keep bringing me back to Leupold and vortex. Are there any you recommend specifically.
Old October 22, 2014, 01:43 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...to get that long range..." You will get it anyway. A scope does nothing but allow you to see the target better. High magnification is useless for hunting anything but varmints. The field of view is too small. And there's no time for switching magnification down if something jumps in front of you.
Target shooting is another thing altogether. Then you get to deal with mirage on hot days. Literally the heat radiating off the ground and obscuring everything.
Otherwise, one scope is pretty much the same as the next. You get what you pay for, but don't get married to high magnification variables unless you're target shooting only.
Old October 22, 2014, 02:41 PM   #14
MarkCO

I would suggest you look at the Burris XTRII line of optics. I have a 2-10 and a 4-20 that I have put through the paces on precision rigs. Excellent glass and a set of features that puts them right up with the optics that are $2K and more. My 4-20 actually replaced another brand often suggested and the glass quality is certainly better. I use the 1-5 on my AR15.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtr.html
Old October 22, 2014, 02:51 PM   #15
kraigwy

Don't let the price fool you. Look at the Weaver Tac. scope, 3-10. Its an excellent scope. I have one and its starting to replace my old Weaver T-10 as my 1000 yard Match Rifle Scope.

It holds up well to my heavy 300 WM loads on my 1000 Yard Model 70.

The 10X is about all you need. Though it will still pick up heat waves from the barrel so I suggest a barrel band be used (with any long range scope).

$299.99 at Midway, with free shipping.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598...ProductFinding
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 23, 2014, 07:23 AM   #16
mxsailor803

Either brand honestly. Both have excellent warranties. I've had to use the Vortex warranty once (my fault) and it was a Crossfire II. They had a new one on my steps in about 10 days. They didn't ask a single question on what I was doing, what happened, what caliber of rifle it was on. None of those badgering questions. Leupold I've been using since the early 90's. I've mainly used the VX-I, VX-II, and VX-III series. For the budget minded, I will recommend the VX-II all day long. It is more expensive than the VX-I but the VX-II is essentially a outdated VX-III.
Old October 24, 2014, 07:00 PM   #17
DPI7800

There is also the Nightforce SHV line that fits the bill also.
Old October 24, 2014, 08:12 PM   #18
Snyper

Quote:
And there's no time for switching magnification down if something jumps in front of you.
That's why you keep them set on the lowest power and turn it UP for longer ranges, when there tends to be more time

Quote:
High magnification is useless for hunting anything but varmints. The field of view is too small
That's simply not true at all, since the field of view at longer ranges is more than adequate for big game
Old October 24, 2014, 08:27 PM   #19
4runnerman

Sightron scopes are great. Tracking is flawless, clarity is great.