The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2014, 12:44 PM   #1
1stmar

What do you guys do when...

I'm using a redding body in conjunction w a lee collet die to resize the neck. I have the body die adjusted to bump the shoulder. I've bought some new brass and the shoulders are .008 .010 further back then my body die sets them too. So the only thing to do is fire them and let the cases form to the chamber. Just seems like a waste of components when shooting/reloading for accuracy.
So here's the questions..
Do you guys use the same components or use less expensive components ie pulled bullets, lower powder charge etc
Or will the accuracy difference be negligible and just deal with it.
Old February 15, 2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Snyper

If you want brass fitted to your chamber, you have no options other than to fire one loading that doesn't "fit".

That doesn't necessarily mean the loads wont' be "accurate" because accuracy comes from consistancy

I've shot some fire forming loads in wildcat Contenders that weren't even CLOSE to fitting the chamber, and yet were very accurate
Old February 15, 2014, 01:46 PM   #3
603Country

Yup, I'm with Snyper. I had some new cases (Nosler) that I shot in the rather loose chamber of a rifle I used to have, and they shot great. Unfortunately, they shot better than the fireformed reloads. After much retrying and reloading, I gave up and I sold that rifle rather than spend money on a gunsmith.
Old February 15, 2014, 01:55 PM   #4
Jimro

Forming loads are generally every bit as accurate as anything else if you use match grade components. Just keep track of loaded lots, and use all of one lot on one stage of competition.

For something like an AI fireforming, most competitors use the forming load for the "short line" firing, which is different depending on what sport you are using.

Jimro
Old February 15, 2014, 02:05 PM   #5
nemesiss45

I have not been reloading long, but I was of the same mindset as you when I started. I had read all this stuff about the perfect match load and that's what I wanted. I have gone through maybe 100 or so .308 once fired cases just to get fire formed stock built up. I have been meticulous as I can about charge weight and case prep and I was surprised just how accurate my ammo is. I cant tell you how much more accurate fire formed brass will be for you, but see how accutate you make the stock brass. If you are spending the time and money to make it, you might as well make it good. You could, however, buy a bunch of cheap bullets and try to make them as accurate as possible.
Old February 15, 2014, 02:44 PM   #6
1stmar

I'm trying a different brand of brass, unless it shoots better, I'm thinking I'll be wondering if it's the brass or the headspace.
Old February 15, 2014, 04:30 PM   #7
nemesiss45

have you shot any of the brass yet? or is the first time you're loading it?
Old February 15, 2014, 05:40 PM   #8
1stmar

First time I'm loading it
Old February 15, 2014, 06:19 PM   #9
FiveInADime

I used to think that cases "fitting" perfectly in the chamber was necessary for accuracy in hand loads. What I found out is that I usually get really good consistent groups with brand new brass prepped, uniformed, and sorted by weight.
Old February 15, 2014, 06:59 PM   #10
Metal god

When that happens for me , Yes I load less expensive components or components I've tried and did not like and still have some left . I also often save those lesser quality rounds for foiling shots or for friends to shoot .

FWIW these less quality rounds still shoot good just not 1/3 and 1/2 moa like some of the good ones I've worked up . They are still better then a lot of so called cheap factory loads . Cheaper too

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 15, 2014, 07:21 PM   #11
1stmar

That's about where I am, virtually everything I have shot since it's been bedded has been 1/2 moa. Trying to eek out another .2 or as close to that as I can get. I'm sure these will shoot 3/4 or better but just may not give me all I can get out of it. I'm so close, usually get 4 into .3 or better, just seems to always be 1 that strays out to .5. Haven't really experimented much, this is one of the first steps along with changing the charge in my control group and seating depth.