The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 12, 2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Shook

Ghost 4lb Striker Spring Issues

Hey Everyone!

This is my first post but won't be my last. I know this isn't the place to introduce myself but I will do that soon in the proper place when I can get a picture of my guns.

Anyways, I bought a g35 for ipsc/uspsa and wanted to lighten up the trigger and get rid of all the over travel. I have done exactly that with a Ghost Rocket Trigger kit. It turned out great but after it was all said and done I was shooting it and the trigger is not resetting quickly. It's like there is not enough pressure behind it to pop it back out. I did put the 4lb striker spring in the gun and have since switched it back to the stock 5.5lb striker spring and it seems MUCH better but I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the 4lb striker spring from ghost? It's a 4th gen btw.

Thanks everyone!
Old February 12, 2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Roughedge

Did you change the connector?
Old February 13, 2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Shook

I did change the trigger bar and it's filed down properly. After changing that and filing it down it was still fine. It's just the striker spring that is causing the problem. Ghost said it would go away after a few hundred rounds but I don't want to shoot it a few hundred rounds with the trigger slowly resetting like it's stuck in molasses. Sadly if it works (which it did a couple times) it makes the trigger lighter. I wonder if the Wolff spring is better somehow.
Old February 13, 2014, 08:24 AM   #4
BillM

Do you have any lube on the connector/trigger bar? Anything
heavier than a very light oil can cause slow down the reset.
Old February 13, 2014, 09:07 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

My 2 bits....

Id get Morgan Boatman's book, www.customizeyourglock.com . He goes into detail about what parts & custom work do best for Glock pistols.

I'd add these good Glock sources; www.glockbooks.com www.glockworx.com www.glockstore.com www.glockmeister.com .

Clyde
Old February 13, 2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Sharkbite

In the Glock pistols the Striker springs also serves to reset the trigger.

The tension you feel as you beging to move the trigger to the rear is you compressing the striker spring. After the shot is fired and the slide is moving back forward to the locked position the cruciform sear catches on the striker tail and holds the striker in the "cocked" position.

As you release the trigger to the reset point it is being pushed forward by the striker spring until the point the end of the trigger bar is in position to have the connector jump behind it (thats the click you hear at reset)

So... With an underpowered striker spring lot of problems can rear their heads. Light strikes on primers.. Mushy reset...

I dont run a Glock in any of the shooting sports, just for Defensive purposes. My experience over the past 20 years teaching at major shooting schools has been to not mess with it

Every attempt i have seen to lighten springs or parts has resulted in failures of one kind or another. I am a fan of getting in and polishing the contact points up. You can certainly improve on the bone stock trigger feel.

If this is just a game gun, then mod away. If you use it for ANYTHING more serious then that..... Id leave it pretty much stock.

Just my 2c and experience. YMMV
Old February 14, 2014, 01:05 AM   #7
tangolima

Sharkbite is right. The trigger is being reset by the striker. Glock require some trigger over travel, or the crucifix won't go high enough to catch the striker after the shot. One of the ghost kits allows the user to take out the over travel, but it require fitting. I would suggest put a bit more over travel back in.

All these "fine tuning" mostly work at the expense of reliability. It is OK if the pistol is solely for sports purposes, not for defense or duty.

-TL