The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 23, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

sigh, so many neat rifles...

Went to the gunshop today to pick up my latest Colt. See the revolver forum for more on that...

Anyway, while I'm waiting for the background check, I spy a line of rifles on the wall...

In order...

MAS-49 for $599.

SVT-40 for $1,750 (I remember in the early 1990s when they were bringing less than $400!)

FN-49 for $1,100

and two M-1s.

What was different about all of them is that they were in as close to pristine condition as any I have ever seen.

The MAS-49 looked as if it had just come out of a barracks rack -- it was definitely used, but it was not abused.

I didn't bother looking at the FN-49 or the M-1s as they called me to come get my Colt.

Just not often that you see any of the first three these days, and definitely not all together and not in that condition.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2
stubbicatt

I too remember the SVT 40 rifles at less than $300 a copy in the early 90's. I guess they are still selling for that in the Dominion of Canada.

At the time I chose to purchase some Soviet SKS rifles, but was put off of the SVT 40 by reports that they "exploded." -- I have since come to suspect these reports as inaccurate.

I have since purchased a very nice example of the SVT40 for far more than I may have paid back in the 90's, and I am impressed by this rifle. It is probably my favorite plinking, casual, shooting iron. I am quite proud of the rifle, and it will be one of my last ones to sell.

If you have an opportunity to find a representative sample that you can inspect, and you have the means to buy it, I think you will be glad you did.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Evan Thomas

Sounds like somebody had to sell his collection.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:44 PM   #4
SPEMack618

Or that some one's estate didn't know what to do with his rifles when he passed...

I always die a little inside when I pass a table at a gunshow where somebody is selling of Grandpa's rifle collection or see an ad in the paper for the selling off of someone's gun collection after they passed.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

my "finds" are much different... seems like picking on the trade in bolt actions are a premium right now... likely lots of bolt action rifles traded in to fund those over priced semi's over the last couple months...

picked up an unfired Remmy 700 in 35 Whelen early on in the craziness...

got my eye out for a nice wood & blued .270...
Old April 17, 2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I asked if someone sold their collection and the answer was no, they were from several different sellers who were looking to cash in and fund other firearms.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.