The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 26, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
joegator

Remy 700 ADL Rings and Base Question

I picked up an ADL varmint at Dick's last weekend. The first project is to replace the package scope and setup. I have a Nikon (40 mm) but need to purchase rings and a base. I have a few questions:

1. I'm looking at getting the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings. I'm not sure what the best height is to get (low, medium) since this rifle has a blind magazine.

2. Since it is an ADL which is a top feeder should I stay with a 2 piece base? I wanted a one piece but don't know if a one piece will be too restrictive space wise. Also, what base (type and brand) do you recommend?

3. Unrelated to the above but for those of you that have this rifle what are your thoughts on the trigger? I've heard good and bad regarding the X mark trigger.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
mxsailor803

Can't help with number 1 but maybe share some info on 2 and 3. Since its a ADL def use two piece mounts. It makes life so much easier to load. I run leupold 2 piece bases and they have been on for close 12 years and have no regrets about them. As for trigger, factory is decent but after awhile you might want better performance. I swapped mine about 6 years ago with a Shilen and I really like it. My ADL is a hunting setup that may see 150 rounds a year. Are you planning on using it as a bench or huntin setup?
Old January 26, 2013, 01:21 PM   #3
joegator

thanks for the response

i wanted it primarily for target/bench shooting (as a project rifle), but I may take it on an occasional hog hunt
Old January 26, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4
emcon5

Quote:
I'm looking at getting the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings.
So what do those do for you that a ~$50 set of Leupold bases and rings wont? Aside from being "Tactical" that is......
Old January 26, 2013, 02:50 PM   #5
joegator

people seem to like the burris rings the best...at least from what I see online
Old January 26, 2013, 04:49 PM   #6
mxsailor803

The Leupold uses its own design that requires the fwd ring to be rotated in place. Its extremely solid. The rear mount has adjustable screws to drift for windage.
Old January 26, 2013, 05:13 PM   #7
SSA

I agree with 2 piece bases on an ADL. Had the Leupold 2-piece set on mine. That worked fine. Went to Burris XT bases, which provide more flexibility for ring placement.

XT rings are higher than most. Lows should be high enough.
Old January 26, 2013, 05:41 PM   #8
steveNChunter

Ive made a personal decision never to buy anything with the word "tactical" in the name.

You will be happier with 2-piece bases on a model 700

Talley makes the best stuff IMO. They sell two piece bases that have the rings made into them. Less screws to come loose and parts to move around is always better. Especially if you are doing target/BR

Talley's "low" height rings should accomodate your 40mm scope
Old January 26, 2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Hummer70

For internal adjustment scopes to be utilized at long range I would use the Burris Signature Zee rings and get a Burris shim kit.

Determine how many clicks elevation you have in scope by bottoming it out and raising it counting the clicks. Lets say you have 100 clicks of elevation bottom to top.

click down 70 clicks and fire a shot and see where you hit. Change out the shims accordingly to get the scope hitting center of target or very close at 100 yards by either lowering the front of scope or raising rear of scope or both.

OK once you are on or very close at 100 yards see where you are at 300 without moving scope adjustments. Change to a different shim and get it on at 300.

Then you will have a 300 yard zero and have 70 clicks of elevation left for longer range and still be in middle of your adjustment range.

Internal scopes at end of their adjustment range tend to get iffy so best to sight them in with shims before going to clicks.
Cert Test Dir. Sm Arms and Ammo,Aberdeen Pr Ground, Firefighter I, AC4HT