The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 30, 2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Plastic stag grips.....

Some one sort of chided me about my fake stag plastic grips on the Hy Hunter, which I so richly deserved. However, rest assured they are NOT permanantly attached:

Back when I was young I didn't know any better and put a pair of these Franzite grips on my Ruger Blackhawk:

Since that time I've determined neither plastic nor rubber will be found on my guns. Here same Ruger, some fifty years later, now stocked with mesquite:

These art by Carey Chapman (http://www.clccustomgrips.com/) and are the first mesquite grips he ever made.

Bob Wright
Old November 30, 2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Saint Dennis

Well sir, that is most definitely an improvement.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:54 AM   #3
shurshot

I guess I am the odd man out here, as I think those fake plastic grips are cool!
Old December 1, 2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Corona

Way cool! I have plastic stags on my old beat up High Standard R100 revolver! I believe in the mid50s when mine was built it was a massive $6 upgrade for these ultra cool stocks. Don't be dissin the plastic.

Actually, I'd dearly love to find some real wood stocks for this little revolver but not sure I'd want to spend $100 on a now $100 gun.

Bob, I love the mesquite grips! It's exceptionally hard wood and nice to see it used for something other than BBQing.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:27 AM   #5
shafter

I don't mind the fake stag. They look kinda cool and I'd let them stay on my sixgun for awhile. Granted they don't compare to the looks of the wood stocks usually found on Bob Wrights handguns.
Old December 1, 2012, 02:48 PM   #6
rep1954

I also have a soft spot for plastic stags. They kind of fit into their own time line in history that shouldn't be forgotten.
Old December 1, 2012, 03:24 PM   #7
dgludwig

I confess to being the "chider" so I will try to redeem myself by applauding the looks of the mesquite grips. They look fantastic!

Though I no longer have any affection for plastic stag wannabe grips, I do fondly recollect admiring them as a kid in the fifties, when I would see them worn on big da revolvers by cops directing traffic in the city. I guess I too still have a "soft spot" for them...
Old December 1, 2012, 03:40 PM   #8
gak

Bob, those mesquites sure are sweet on that gun!

They're all good. Another +1 for the Franzites--really takes a fellow back! Almost all of the Great Westerns came with them. Just about all of the 50s and early 60s TV western stars used GWs. Clint Walker on Cheyenne is the one I remember the most with the Franzites,...and Matt Dillon of course (he also had a set of real stags for about half the shows). There's a gentleman re-creating the Franzite pattern just about verbatim as custom order. Bob Leskovec at
http://www.propistolgrips.com/ - I'm sure out of more premium materials...
Old December 1, 2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Bob Wright

gak:

Quote:
......Another +1 for the Franzites--really takes a fellow back! Almost all of the Great Westerns came with them.
I believe most, if not all, Great Western revolvers came with Pointer Pup plastic grips.

Bob Wright
Old December 1, 2012, 06:54 PM   #10
deputy tom

I fondly remember Franzite and A-Jaz faux stag grips. They have a certain ambiance and bring back the good old days for me at least. YMMV. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old December 1, 2012, 08:00 PM   #11
gak

Bob Wright said:
" I believe most, if not all, Great Western revolvers came with Pointer Pup plastic grips."

I will defer More accurately I should have said "Franzite look" as they became more commonplace over time, IIRC, "out there," and a lot of folks I think used them as replacements and apparently to look like the Pointer Pups on other guns as well. So, perhaps I should say the Franzites had the "Pointer Pup look"! The PP's, also IIRC, were more solidly constructed and would have made more sense as factory OEM regarding what Bob said.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

I have a pair of Jay Scott imitation stag grips on my Ruger Single Six. They have been there for more than 40 years and I like them. Looks and usefulness both. I have carried this hunting, hiking and working on the farm. The irregular surface of the grips always gave me a good......er......grip.
I like the looks of other materials also, those mesquite are quite attractive. But, for me, on this gun, these are the way to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th_RugerSS.jpg (3.9 KB, 19 views)
Old December 2, 2012, 08:57 AM   #13
BLUETIP

Nice cap gun Bob! Just kiddin'.
Beautiful mesquites.