The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2012, 09:02 PM   #1
calmit44

reloading .44 mag for rifle

Does anyone have any experience in reloading the 44 with the 225gr. ftx Horady bullet?
Old March 26, 2012, 05:53 AM   #2
Salmoneye

Not personally, but a friend told me that when the FTX are stacked in his 1894 mag for more than an hour in the cold (like in real life in the North woods during deer season), the tips do not 'bounce back' from being deformed by the pressure of the mag spring...

According to him, you effectively get a pointed first shot (in the chamber), and then have all flat points...They do 'bounce back' once they warm up inside...

To my knowledge, he never shot a deer with them, so I can not speak to terminal performance...

As I said...This was info from a 'friend'...Take it for what it is worth...
Old March 26, 2012, 12:40 PM   #3
BigJimP

No, not with that bullet.../ or any of the Hornaday FTX tipped bullets...but I see Hornaday says they're safe in tubular mags...

I load the same round for .44 mag ....for my handguns and my rifle...240gr FMJ Montana Gold bullet.../ same powder charge, etc... ( same thing on .357 mag with my handguns and my rifle ) ...in 158gr.

If I wanted to reload that bullet...I'd only reload about 20 of them ...and cycle them thru the tubular mag a few times...and then mic them ...and see if the tips were changing at all...from being cycled thru the gun.../ before I shot any of them.
Old March 26, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Kiwi Hunter

I wouldnt worry about the tips at all, they are pretty but a waste of time in my opinion. They shot ok in my ruger and thats about all..

The 200g XTP should shoot flatter, the 300 will hit harder, the 240 is somewhere in the middle - pick your flavour or try them all
Old March 27, 2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

For whatever reason, reloads will not shoot in older Marlins. Mine would not find paper at 25 yards. If one did accidentially it was obviously keyholing. I can only guess the near non-existant 'micro rifling' was the reason. In fact (at that time) Marlin said to not shoot reloads from their pathetic lever guns. (they didn't say "pathetic", I did )
Old March 27, 2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Salmoneye

All manufacturers I have ever seen have warnings about the use reloads...It has nothing to do with the fact that you could not figure out what your 'pathetic Marlin' liked to eat...

Current Smith revolver manual:

Quote:
• ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT AMMUNITION FOR YOUR
PARTICULAR FIREARM as indicated by the marking on the
barrel. Never use non-standard, reloaded, or “handloaded”
ammunition which has not been subjected to internal ballistic
pressure testing.
Current Ruger GP100 manual:

Quote:
AMMUNITION (CARTRIDGES) NOTICE
WE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR
ANY DAMAGE OR INJURY WHATSOEVER OCCURRING IN
CONNECTION WITH, OR AS THE RESULT OF, THE USE IN THE
GP100 REVOLVER OF FAULTY, OR NON-STANDARD, OR “RE-
MANUFACTURED”, OR HAND LOADED (RELOADED) AMMUNITION,
OR OF CARTRIDGES OTHER THAN THOSE FOR WHICH THE
FIREARM WAS ORIGINALLY CHAMBERED.
Et cetera, et cetera...
Old March 27, 2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Dondor

On your rifle might have to adjust for the twist ratio of the barrel.
Old March 27, 2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Salmoneye

Correct on the twist if it is a Marlin 1894...If it is a Micro-Groove, it will be 1 in 38", and will not be the best at stabilizing bullets over 265 grain...300 grain will shoot, but the accuracy is usually not as good as the lighter bullets...They also want at least a .430" diameter bullet for best results...Cast will shoot fine, but need to be hard, and .431" cast shoot best in mine...

If not a Marlin, check the manufacturer for the twist rate, and adjust accordingly...Also, slug your barrel and find out what it wants...