The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 23, 2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Daryl

Getting a new (old) revolver...finally

Ok, so it's not my first...but it was. This one was the first handgun I ever shot, and I killed a lot of jackrabbits, cottontails, and other stuff with it in my younger days.

See, it was my dad's, and I can't remember a time when he didn't have this 6" S&W model 10-5 in his collection.

But dad passed back in June of 2007, and his estate has been a train wreck from day one. Finally, the administrator of the estate has decided to distribute what few firearms that remain in the estate's possession, and this model 10-5, although worth the least in money, also holds the most memories for me.

I requested it, and they're supposed to send it to my FFL sometime this week. Will be like being reunited with an old friend from the past.

I might just have to take it out after jackrabbits or some such, just to celebrate!

Daryl
Old January 23, 2012, 06:25 PM   #2
PawPaw

Congratulations. I know how estates go, and I intend to avoid that when I give up the coil. I'm slowly but surely distributing my collection as I see fit to distribute it. There won't be any second-guessing when it's over.

I'm glad you got your Dad's pistol. Wear it well and pass it along to your kids or grandkids. That Model 10 should serve several generations.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 23, 2012, 07:13 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
See, it was my dad's,
Don't ever sell it. Pass it on to someone who will appreciate it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 23, 2012, 08:02 PM   #4
skidder

I'm happy for you! That handgun has a story and I'm sure you will pass it on.

Quote:
But dad passed back in June of 2007, and his estate has been a train wreck from day one.
I had tickets on the same train.

My mother in 2007 and things are still being settled. Seven of us kids and it was the most stressful time of my life. Quality time I could have spent with my sick mother was spent fighting off siblings with drug problems. I put up with them only for the sake of my mother, but after the funeral I didn't have to take their crap anymore. I see them on the caller ID, but until they get help with their drugs I don't answer the phone anymore (my "give a damn" is busted). I was real thankful she called me and had me pick up the guns before she got too sick.

Again,

Congratulations! I hope you can add more memories to that gun.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 23, 2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Daryl

Quote:
Don't ever sell it. Pass it on to someone who will appreciate it.
Not even a consideration. I still have two firearms that I inherited from my grandfather (dad's dad) back in the mid-1980's. I'll never sell those, either.

Daryl
Old January 23, 2012, 09:10 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Daryl - glad to hear that you are getting the pistol. I administrated an estate and let me tell you, being on that side of the fence was also a nightmare - every family has their own problems and no one is immune. That being said, it doesn't matter what the value of the hand gun is - you can't put a price on the memories or the meaning that it has to you. I know you'll cherish it and some day, pass it on. Enjoy it and every time you shoot it, think of your Dad - I have no doubt that he will be right there next to you with a big smile on his face.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 24, 2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Daryl

It really is a sad story with the estate. Against a court order to not sell any estate property, and to turn it all over to the private fiduciary, his miserable wife of a short time sold off a lot of his stuff.

Included were some nice firearms. A Colt Mustang +2, Ruger Vaquero in 44-40, a Sig P239, an RMEF gold engraved banquet rifle that was an 1895 Win in 30-06, a Rem 1100 12 gauge, a Weatherby Accumark in 30/378 Wby topped with a $1700 Swarovski 'scope, and others.

When dad went into the hospital, and wasn't expected to make it, I retrieved a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt that I'd loaned to dad. His wife sent the cops after me, and they drove 300 miles to kick in my door with a forced entry warrant because she'd accused me of taking other stuff as well. My .45 Colt was all they found, and was all I had taken, but I had to prove it was mine before I got it back. If I hadn't taken it back, she'd have sold it, too.

I had two Vaqueros in .45 Colt, and had loaned one to dad for a bear hunt. With Ruger only loads in it, it hit somewhat harder than any of the handguns he had.

It really has been a nightmare, but I'll be glad to get that little model 10. I'll be even happier when the estate settles, and the nightmare ends...however it ends.

Daryl