The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 7, 2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

thinking MAS 36 for base rifle for a project ???

my local builder recommended using one ( missing parts, & non matching numbers ) for the base rifle for a 50 Beowulf bolt action rifle project... what can you tell me about them, I don't know much about them... yet ???

this should be a cool old rifle once converted to take Alexander arms magazines & fit to the 50 Beowulf cartridge... comments ???
Old December 7, 2010, 02:52 PM   #2
seansean1444

sounds like a great project you will have one of a kind.
Old December 7, 2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I just left my builders place... we looked at a couple other options ( including turning down the rim of 500 S&W cases to fit the MAS bolt face ) & obliterating the case heads & loading to Beowulf load standards, but the Beowulf has a tapered case, & the 500's is straight, aside from the pressures, & the rims, they are nearly identical cases as far as size goes... but after a good "discussion" we decided it will be easier to modify the bolt face to the Beowulf case head... interestingly, the AR mags go right into the bottom of the MAS rifle, with very little modifications, the AR 50 cal mags aught to work quite well in the rifle ( time to get a couple Alexander Arms mags ordered )

over all, this will be a low budget build... exception being the 50 caliber barrel blank
Old December 7, 2010, 03:16 PM   #4
seansean1444

how do you plan on modifying the mas36 bolt to accomodate the 50 beowulf?
Old December 7, 2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

my local builder thinks one of three things will be needed ... deepening the extractors groove in the bolt, a little, will allow full engagement of the extraction groove on the cartridge ( it may work fine with the tapered case just as the bolt is, it's that close )... & if needed a pair of pin holes & fitted pins on the opposite side of the bolt face should hold the cartridge securely...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 7, 2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old December 7, 2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

You like rifles without a safety? Or does he plan to add one somehow?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 8, 2010, 01:03 AM   #7
Scorch

Rather than go with a straight-wall cartridge, have you considered the 458 SOCOM? Brass and ammo are available, and you will probably not have to modify the bolt.
Old December 8, 2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

CHEAP... the safety doesn't matter to me really ( my safety is in my head ) I don't normally use one, but my builder & I did talk about incorporating a trigger block safety into the cross bolt assembly that holds on the rear butt stock ??? on the example he has, I think he said it was originally solid, & his is bored through, & he thought he could add some sort of trigger block if I wanted... BTW... he made his into a take down rifle in 25-06...

... he offered me his, if I could not find one reasonably priced ( which I think I already did ) but if I somehow ended up with his, it could be a take down gun with more than one barrel... this got me thinking... some other specialized AR cartridge, that would feed through the standard AR mags, once this gun was set up for them, would be cool... I have a Contender barrel & loading equipment for 6.8 SPC, not sure if the case head is the same as the Beowulf or not... thought about the 7.62 X 39, since that's what the case head of the Beowulf is, but that is not "really" a longer range cartridge... but doing it this way could give me a scout scope mounted long range barrel & a 50 caliber brush buster & high cap mags that could fit in a common duffle bag

SCORCH... I already have 45-70's in 3 different rifle formats ( Lever Action, Falling Block, & Double Rifle ) & have been itching for one in a bolt action, so the SOCOM doesn't interest me as much as the 50... & as mentioned before, I already load for the 50 A.E. & a 50 A.E. special, so I already have a good supply of 50 cal pistol bullets... honestly, I bought a box of cartridges, only because my builder buddy was wanting 2 of them for his quite extensive cartridge collection... so I guess I have a couple for mine, & could sell the rest as singles at the gun show I sell at over the winter... but I couldn't help looking them over & trying to come up with an interesting rifle on the cheap
Old December 9, 2010, 05:25 PM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

well... I've decided on a switch barrel take down in 6.5 Grendel & 50 Beowulf, both using AR mags... now just need to see which rifle will be the base...
Old December 9, 2010, 05:38 PM   #10
mapsjanhere

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...r-15-magazine/
the crap one memorizes in the internet age ...
Old December 9, 2010, 05:44 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

LOL... nothing is ever "new"