The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 2, 2010, 11:42 AM   #1
deadcoyote

.22 lr revolver on a budget? (non-Taurus)

I've got a little spending money in my gun fund, around $450. I'd really like to buy a .22 revolver, preferrably a double action. Does anybody have any input on an affordable DA 22?
Old December 2, 2010, 11:47 AM   #2
egor20

If you can find a Harrington & Richardson 9 shot break top .22 for that price grab it, my FIL has one I love shooting it

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6163/hr30ax.jpg

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 2, 2010, 11:49 AM   #3
aarondhgraham

Hello deadcoyote,,,

My lady friend bought a Charter Arms Pathfinder in .22 LR,,,
She wanted a companion to go along with her Undercover in .38 Special.

Hers is a 2" barrel model but it also comes in a 4" model,,,
The 4" barrel model is called the Target Pathfinder,,,
Click here please.

Hers has been a flawless performer,,,
She goes to the range at least every other week,,,
When she goes she shoots at least a half a brick of ammo.

The trigger is smoothing out very nicely,,,
It's very consistent in where it places the bullet.

I have shot it quite a bit,,,
It's not as smooth as my old S&W Model 18,,,
But it's a lot better shooter than my Taurus 990 Tracker.

I have no reservations at all in recommending this revolver,,,
Nothing fancy, just a nice solid performer,,,
That won't break you to purchase.

I hope this proves helpful.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 2, 2010, 12:06 PM   #4
LordTio3

Cimarron Plinkerton. $165. Colt SAA Revolver frame and contour.

Done and Done.

~LT
Old December 2, 2010, 12:45 PM   #5
rclark

You said DA, but a brand new Ruger Single Six in our area is going for $412.... You just can't beat a SA!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 2, 2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Venom1956

I just got a 3 screw Single Six for 300! Excite! Ok focus. H&R revolvers are pretty decent. Pretty they ain't but the do work. Best friend has 2. I think charter Pathfinder would be your best bet. anything else tends to get a bit spendy.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 2, 2010, 03:02 PM   #7
azredhawk44

No input other than to confirm your non-Taurus suggestion.

My model 94 Taurus is awful.
Old December 2, 2010, 03:33 PM   #8
redlevel42

You can find an older S&W K22 or Kit Gun at the higher end of your price range. I paid less than $400 for this 63 year-old K22 a year ago. There is just nothing that will compare with an early dash # Model 17 or a pre-17. If you can't afford it now, I would advise you to save a little until you can afford one. You can buy a real Masterpiece (in the truest sense of the word) for $500. This one shoots beautifully. There is absolutely no comparison to any production revolver available new today at twice the price, including the S&Ws.

Old December 2, 2010, 03:50 PM   #9
aarondhgraham

redlevel42 has a point,,,

S&W made two .22 revolvers on the K-frame that were/are fantastic handguns.

The Model 17 Masterpiece has adjustable sights and traditionally had a 6" barrel,,,
The Model 18 Combat Masterpiece has adjustable sights and traditionally had a 4" barrel,,,
I say traditionally because every now and then you will see either one with a 5" or other non-standard barrel.

Personally I prefer the 4" combat masterpiece,,,
Mine was made back in the 60's but is still tight and accurate.

In my humble opinion the Model 18 is the finest DA .22 revolver ever made,,,
With the 6" model 17 running a very close second.

A friend of mine has a pre-model 17 (simply called the K-22 Masterpiece),,,
That thing is incredibly accurate and is a joy to shoot.

Around these parts "good" to "very good" specimens go anywhere from $400 to $650 and sometimes even higher,,,
Gunbroker dot com prices for these guns are frequently as high as my local area pawn shop prices.

Here is a pic of my Model 18 in .22 LR and my Model 15 in .38 Special,,,
If I suddenly had to unload most of my guns for the money,,,
These would be the last ones to be put up for sale.

But if you want to buy new and stay in your $450 price range,,,
I still maintain that the Charter Arms Target Pathfinder is your best choice.

Old December 2, 2010, 04:08 PM   #10
MrAcheson

Quote:
Cimarron Plinkerton. $165. Colt SAA Revolver frame and contour.
Do not want. The whole thing is cast from zinc alloy including the barrel and cylinders (they both have thin steel liners). Very cheap.

Also avoid the Heritage Rough Rider. I actually own one of these. Trigger is good and it's surprisingly comfortable in my hand. The barrel and cylinder are steel. Unfortunately while they do make steel framed models, mine is the more common Zamak alloy. They didn't engineer the gun properly for an alloy frame. The sharp ratchets on the back of the steel cylinder are cutting into the soft frame like little chisels. This is slowly screwing up the cylinder clearances. The fixed sights also suck (mine are cast into the frame and are lopsided) and the 3.5" barrel models can't ever be filed to point of aim because the front sight is too short.
Old December 2, 2010, 07:05 PM   #11
rclark

From another point of view, for a $200 revolver, my Heritage Rough rider shoots .22LR to POA. It's accurate too. The barrel cylinder gap is nice and tight. Trigger pull is smoothing out. My only complaint is it 'looks' cheap and the stupid safety is an eye sore the way they did it. I've shot a couple thousand rounds through it now with no hiccups. Well, I did have to tighten a couple of screws, no big deal.... Point it downrange and if I do my part, it always hits what I aim at.... Just saying ... YMMV

To bad S&W doesn't make revolvers look like they should ... you know like an SAA.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 2, 2010, 08:41 PM   #12
Daryl

Quote:
From another point of view, for a $200 revolver, my Heritage Rough rider shoots .22LR to POA. It's accurate too. The barrel cylinder gap is nice and tight. Trigger pull is smoothing out. My only complaint is it 'looks' cheap and the stupid safety is an eye sore the way they did it. I've shot a couple thousand rounds through it now with no hiccups. Well, I did have to tighten a couple of screws, no big deal.... Point it downrange and if I do my part, it always hits what I aim at.... Just saying ... YMMV

To bad S&W doesn't make revolvers look like they should ... you know like an SAA.
Might be the first time I've seen Heritage RR, S&W, and Colt SAA compared.

The HRR is what it is, and I'm glad your's shoots good, but they appear cheap because they ARE cheap. A place here in town offered them on Black Friday for $169.00, and I didn't buy one. Folks say they shoot decent for a pot metal gun, but...they're a pot metal gun. They're cheap fun, I've no doubt, but not something that's likely to be handed down to the kids.

I prefer a SA, and if that were what the OP asked for I'd recommend a new or used Ruger Single Six or Bearcat.

Since the OP asked for a DA, I agree with the K-frame S&W recommendation. They're about as good as it gets if you can find one.

Daryl
Old December 2, 2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Lashlarue

My Academy flyer received today has the Heritage on sale for $99 in 22lr only.Which is what I paid nearly 20 years ago with both cylinders. Sort of ugly but mine is all steel and has never failed.Shoots reasonable groups out to 25 yds.
Old December 3, 2010, 12:50 AM   #14
CajunBass

If you look on the used rack you can find a lot of good 22's in that price range. Single or double action.

Just a few weeks ago I got this H&R 999 for $138.00 OTD.

It's been a few years but I paid $350.00 for this Dan Wesson 22. I saw another one recently I thought about buying tagged at $400.00, but I'm sure I could have gotten it for $350, maybe less, also.

I've gotten several others, but you get the idea.

Edited to add: I know you said "no Taurus" but the last time I was in my favorite shop they had an old Taurus 96 I believe it was, a clone of the model 17 Smith & Wesson. Not made anymore I don't believe, but that was a nice handgun. It was tagged at $296. I thought hard about that one, but I've got the Dan Wesson, and a Model 17 Smith & Wesson, so I left it for someone else.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; December 3, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old December 3, 2010, 03:14 AM   #15
Norrick

If i were getting a 22 revolver the only two I would consider would be a Ruger Bearcat and a Smith and Wesson 317 (I suppose you could get a model 63).

A bit higher than 450 dollars. It seems like one of those price ranges where you could spend alot less for something adequate or a little more for something nice.
Old December 3, 2010, 04:27 AM   #16
Venom1956

Bass i am extremely jealous! those are 2 of the 3 remaining revolvers for my .22 collection! and those prices!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; December 3, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old December 3, 2010, 07:25 AM   #17
Bomberman

Check AuctionZip

Go to www.auctionzip.com and check out any auctions in your local area. I picked up a High Standard Sentinal R-107 at a local auction for less than $100.00. Took it home and gave it a good cleaning and now use it for hunting squirrels and general Sasquatch deterrent. It's a tack driver. Good luck with your search.

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992
Old December 3, 2010, 10:04 AM   #18
deadcoyote

Thanks for everyones replies. Those HR 999's are nice, unfortunately I live in CA and they're not on the DOJ approved list, which means I can only buy one in a face to face transfer from a local source. They cant be brought in from out of state or shipped to me from in state. I see alot of the HR 922's for sale but they have a basic hog wallow type sight. Saw a ruger auto that tempted me the other day but it was huge! Had like an 7 or 8" bull barrel on it. I'll let you know how I fare.
Old December 3, 2010, 11:42 AM   #19
HighValleyRanch

Dead Coyote,
I am in Northern CA too, and I know those laws!

Check out Calguns.net for their private firearms sales.
You can find some good deals. A ruger single six just went for 350.00 and I found a new in the box unfired Colt New Frontier .22 for 330.00 and met the guy ftf in Santa Rosa.

I know you want a DA, but the SA's can be imported into CA. They are exempt.
Those H&R's are scarce around these parts!

450.00 is not really budget. That should find you a really nice one. Just be patient.
Old December 3, 2010, 12:27 PM   #20
roaddog28

Hi,
I live in California too. Double action 22 LRs are hard to find. I did have H&R 949 6 1/2 barrel convertable two years ago. Unfornately I sold it to partly fund a S&W 66. From time to time in So California I have seen in gun shops some 22LR revolvers. Usually on consignment. Other than a private party transfer, that is the only way you can get a double action 22 LR. I agree with others that a Ruger Single Six offers a quality revolver and of course excellent customer service. Most double action 22 LR revolvers too me have a heavy trigger. My H&R was so heavy I fired it mostly in single action. A Ruger single six can be bought used for $300 to $350 even in California. Single actions are legal so you won't have any worries.

Good luck,
Howard
Old December 3, 2010, 12:35 PM   #21
deadcoyote

Yeah, I basically say $450 as budget because in a perfect worlf id buy a K-22 but those go for more $$$!
Old December 3, 2010, 12:57 PM   #22
Venom1956

personally I think quality DA .22s are hard to get period. atleast at a fair price... Sort of a supply and demand thing... I saw a nice 17-4 @ a gunshop this week. I offered 500 he was asking 600... basically said he could sell it to me for 500 or wait a week and make another 100 bucks... he choose the latter it was gone less then 20 hours later.

Also they are more expensive over all because they need to invest the same coin to make a rimfire as the do to make a centerfire revolver... 22 autos are simple creatures in comparison.

Personally i felt it was only 500 dollar purchase I paid more for my Colt OMM but I find that to be a far superior pistol in almost every regard. but I would have liked to also own its main competitor.
Old December 3, 2010, 03:41 PM   #23
deadcoyote

I've been shopping around, think I may have to go the evil auto 22 route. Oh well, thats life. Ruger or SW 22A target perhaps.
Old December 3, 2010, 04:23 PM   #24
aarondhgraham

If you go the semi-auto round,,,

There are five models that are consistently great performers
Here they are in no particular order:

Browning Buckmark = Great pistol but I found the grip to be funky.
Ruger 22/45 Mk II or MK III = Great pistol with a 1911-ish grip
Ruger Mk II or MK III = Great pistol with a luger-ish grip.
Beretta NEOS = Great pistol with a very slender grip.
S&W 22A = Great pistol with a very fat grip.

Any of these will serve you very well,,,
They are all reliable firearms that aren't ammo picky,,,
The determiner is which one fits your hand and makes your eyes light up.

I own a Ruger 22/45 with the 4.5" slab-side barrel,,,
Mine is the bottom-line model with fixed sights,,,
Dang but this gun is too much fun to shoot,,,
Very dependable and eats any ammo.

I also own a Beretta U22 NEOS with the 6" barrel,,,
This gun wasn't a favorite of mine at all,,,
It always seemed front heavy,,,
So I bought a 4.5" barrel,,,
Now I love shooting it.

I rented a S&W 22A to qualify for my CCL,,,
It was a very nice performing pistol,,,
But the grip was too fat for me,,,
I have smaller hands.

Every person on this forum will have their favorites from this group,,,
They ( and myself as well) will tout the advantages of one over the rest,,,
But the reality is that these five handguns are all excellent performing handguns.

Like I said,,,
Choose the one that makes you smile.

Aarond
Old December 3, 2010, 05:03 PM   #25
Rifleman1776

Go to a gun show and look for an RG.