The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 8, 2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Nate1778

HF ultrasonic

I got to say I am one to stay away from the Harbor Freight tools. I am a re-loader and shooter and cleaning guns has to be one of my least favorite things to do in the sport. Anywho I heard a buzz about this thing for brass cleaning and although I have been happy with my tumbler I wandered how it would do with my pistols and actions. Then I visited my super cool gunsmith and he swears by the ultrasonic cleaners and although his is the $400 unit he once again brought up the 2.5 quart model from HF.

That was that I went to pick it up anticipating the $79 price tag. Turns out it was on sale for $60. Picked it up and of coarse before I tried it out on one of my precious firearms I did my wife's wedding rings. Worked flawlessly, so I grabbed my DIRTY Interarms Walther PPK knockoff. Field stripped it and stuck it in there for 5 minutes. Guys I have never scene dirt separate from an item so quick in my life. After 5 minutes I pulled the parts and was amazed at how clean it was. It was cleaner than if I had taken it down to every part. Every nook had been cleaned including the waffles in the plastic grips and serrations on the slide. Put it on a plate and stuck it in the oven at 200 to bake off the moisture, lubed and re-assembled. This thing looks brand new. I am amazed at how good it looks and how clean it is, I kind of hated putting oil back on it.

I am going to try it with some brass but even if it doesn't work this thing is awesome for cleaning guns. The solution I used was the HF offering and they warn against use on aluminum so I will need to find a different solution for some of my guns, but the $4 solutions seamed to do a flawless job on the steel.

I highly recommend this tool for cleaning your handguns and rifle actions. It is not large enough from what I can see to put a 6" GP100 in but you could do one side at a time. I am a skeptic through and through tool wise and always live under the get what you pay for adage, but this thing is pretty dang impressive, enough for me to type this. If its been on your mind, DO IT, you won't regret it, you'll find yourself finding stuff to put in it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95563