The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2009, 01:39 PM   #26
snuffy

The white top on the pictured shot capsule is the soft plastic over-powder wad. Much like the over-powder wads used in shot shells. It'll expand to seal the bore just fine.

As for where to get shot, here's a place to get almost anything related to shot- shotshells and tools.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

Here's a source for #12 shot. 10 pound bag so you don't have a bunch left over;

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/pro...p?number=02612

The problem with card wads is 1st getting the right size, then the fact that they don't seal the bore worth a hoot. You WILL have hot powder gases blowing past the cardboard wads. That'll cause leading as well as the leading you'll get form the shot in direct contact with the bore. Then there's the deformed shot that's ground flat on one side from sliding down the rifling. Round shot patterns better, every time.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 20, 2009, 02:24 PM   #27
snuffy

Quote:
Oops, I take that back... They do have a what looks like a taper crimp. I'll have to be carefull So does this mean I need to buy a taper crimp die just for these?
You were posting as I was typing. I would very lightly roll crimp them, just enough to hold the capsule from creeping out under recoil in a revolver. The capsules are EXTREMELY brittle, they have to be to disintegrate after leaving the barrel. An excessive crimp would fracture the capsule.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 20, 2009, 04:34 PM   #28
wyobohunter

Quote:
I would very lightly roll crimp them, just enough to hold the capsule from creeping out under recoil in a revolver.
How do I know I've crimped them enough? Looks like I'll know that I went too much because the capsule will break... But what about not enough? Do you try to pull the capsule out of one?

I think 12 shot would do nicely for snakes and rodents. I think something bigger is called for for my intended use. I'll try the CCI stuff ( 9 shot) on a Grouse and decide based on how well that works what shot size to get. If 9 shot works really well I may not even bother reloading these as I plan to shoot very few of them.