The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 13, 2009, 11:04 PM   #1
swamprat

BRNO MAUSER

Has anyone ever built on a BRNO Mauser action. What are the good or bad points of this action?
Old October 14, 2009, 07:46 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

Assuming you're talking the Vz24, my local gunsmith thinks it's the best and only Mauser action to start from. They were build on German machinery moved after WWI, without the strains of a wartime economy.
On the downside, you're talking 80 years of unknown use, could be a lifetime in an arsenal in South America, could be a roundtrip Moskwa, Tunis, Normandy, Berlin, Jerusalem, the Czechs send a lot of 98's to Israel as 308.

Edit: bad typo, don't trust your spellchecker

Last edited by mapsjanhere; October 14, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old October 14, 2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Scorch

Brno Mausers are generally agreed to be some of the best Mausers made, whether the model be a 1922, Vz23, Vz24, Vz33, Vz16/33, 12/33, 12/34, JC, 98/29, 33/40, L, or any of the civilian models. The Czechs take a lot of pride in their workmanship and the quality of their product, so any of the rifles produced at Brno are very high quality.
Old October 14, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
swamprat

BRNO Mauser

The rifle in question had leupold mounts on it when I bought it and they have not been removed. I can see the beginning of two words on the top of the action, under the mounts. The first word begins with cs and the second with vy. It has a 26 in barrel with a horse head logo with the letter F in the center. I assume this is a federal. The rifle is in .358 Norma and I mounted a older Denver made 1 3/4 to 5 widefield on it. I think now that I will remove all this, as I would like to know more about this action. Thanks to all for your reply.