The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 30, 2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Texgun

Walther's PP 22lr

I have a PP with matching numbers in 22 LR. From the serial number I have been able to estimate mfg date at 1939. It has Nazi markings and is a very clean pistol, some honest thinning of the bluing, and I shoot occasionally.
My father brought the weapon home from WWII.
I have had some thoughts of selling the gun to some one who would appreciate having it.
I am 61 years old and don't have son I would feel like giving it to and have considered selling it to help finance my next trip to Africa.
Please let me know if there is any interest. Even an approximate value or clues to determine a price would be great.
It put the markings on the starboard side of the image to conceal serial number. I've seen this done a lot and just thought it was standard practice. If you know the reason let me know please.

Old May 30, 2008, 10:33 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, it won't finance your trip to Africa, but it might help. Those little .22's are desireable collectors items, and I would estimate that one at about $900, retail. You should be able to get close to that from an individual, but a dealer will obviously give you less. Check up on the laws in your area (Texas?) on individual sales; it might be as simple as placing an ad in the newspaper. Other sales venues are gun shows and gun shops (with the above caveat in mind).

Plus, we will see what crops up here, but I have two of them and am not interested. They are fine shooters, with superb trigger pulls.

Jim
Old May 31, 2008, 05:56 AM   #3
Jim Watson

The one I had was sexy but had no sort of trigger pull.

I think a Nazi era .22 would be worth substantially more than a post war gun, if you can get it noticed by the right people.