The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2007, 10:39 PM   #1
kart racer

Want to reduce reloading time

I just reload pistol caliber ammo,mostly 9mm and 45acp-may start reloading 223 and I've been using a rcbs single stage press.

I want a turret press.What would ya'll recommend?I don't want a progressive,because at this point in time I'm not able to shoot enough to justify it and I'm trying to move also.

I like my rcbs stuff,but I've thought about the lee turret too.
Old April 23, 2007, 11:49 PM   #2
chilie

go with the auto index! you may think turning the turret head is easy but it go's allot faster and smother letting the press do the work.
Old April 24, 2007, 12:40 AM   #3
mattgreennra

you could get the dillon uber mega robot reloading machine... but that would take the fun out of it for me. If I don't feed the bullets or the brass it seems like I'm not reloading. If you don't care about the activity spend eleventy billion dollars and get the dillon press that a really dumb dog could run.
I've found the more you worry about time, the less fun reloading is. If you stay efficient and organized that's the best you can do.
Old April 24, 2007, 07:35 AM   #4
Number 6

The two obvious options:

1. Dillon 550

2. Hornady Lock-N-Load

The latter is a true progressive and may be the better bargain, what with the free bullet deal.

Then again, the Dillon warranty is fantastic.
Old April 24, 2007, 07:53 AM   #5
benedict1

Lee Classic Turret Press is the best solution

The thread starter asked about turret presses--not progressives so I don't understand the Dillon / Hornady references. Totally off the target.

The Lee Classic Turret Press is by far and away the best turret press made today. Cast iron and steel construction; massive ram and linkage system; change dies cheaply and quickly; the Lee Safety Prime System is the most foolproof priming system on any auto-indexing or progressive press out in the market.

Go here for a great deal on a kit that will include everything you need, including a set of dies for your first caliber; add the upgrade to the Pro Auto Disk and the large/small priming system; buy a scale and calipers from the same shop, all at very good prices and minimal shipping--

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html

Go here for a super review of how to set up and install--lots of great photos that will verify what I said above about materials used in construction.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...ress/index.asp

Go to here to see the Safety Prime in operation.

http://tinyurl.com/lxapv

Here you can watch the whole reloading process being done--

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/Hel...5%20case-1.wmv

This is by far the best solution for anyone who wants to load 200+ rounds per hour with nearly flawless operation, IMHO
Old April 24, 2007, 08:30 AM   #6
nass

+1 on the LEE Classic Turret. Simple auto indexing operation, well built solid equipment. Couldn't ask for a better deal in $$ versus quality.

I think Cabela's may have a better deal on the package. Check shipping and tax though. I picked it up at the store...
Old April 24, 2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Abstract

Hopefully the Lee Safety Prime System that's used on the Loadmaster isn't the one claimed to be the best in the industry. It's a flimsy piece of junk.
Old April 24, 2007, 11:28 AM   #8
ECLIPSE45ACP

Lee classic turret has my vote I love mine! had it about 2 months now and I can crank out over 200 per hour.
Old April 24, 2007, 12:54 PM   #9
benedict1

Quote:
Hopefully the Lee Safety Prime System that's used on the Loadmaster isn't the one claimed to be the best in the industry. It's a flimsy piece of junk.
It is not the same thing at all. It is a new device suited for priming with a lever prime in the ram.

I have no problem with the Load Master Priming system--keep it clean and filled with primers and it works just fine. Rather than have a thread hijacked send me a PM if you are having trouble and I can tell you what works. It is designed the way it is for excellent engineering reasons.
Old April 24, 2007, 12:56 PM   #10
Scorch

The Lee Pro1000 is a great progressive press for the beginner and more advanced reloader. If you plan on loading anything longer than the 223, go with the Lee Turret Auto Index press.
Old April 24, 2007, 12:57 PM   #11
benedict1

Quote:
I think Cabela's may have a better deal on the package. Check shipping and tax though. I picked it up at the store...
The Kempf kit comes with the die set of your caliber choice included; I don't believe the Cabela's kit offers that. If you pencil it out on the individual items in each kit I believe you will find the Kempf kit is less expensive.

To clear up once again--this is NOT a progressive press. It is an auto-indexing turret made of cast iron and steel, with presicion machined aluminum turrets for the dies. It works great when set up properly.
Old April 24, 2007, 01:24 PM   #12
Abstract

Quote:
Rather than have a thread hijacked send me a PM if you are having trouble and I can tell you what works. It is designed the way it is for excellent engineering reasons.
I appreciate the kind offer, but would dispute your evaluation of Lee's engineering prowess. I understand exactly how the Lee Loadmaster's priming system works, having loaded 50-60,000 rounds on a Loadmaster, before I bought a real press....a 650.
Old April 24, 2007, 05:39 PM   #13
kart racer

I have a couple of scales,a bullet puller-been using a lil dandy powder measure,check weights,etc..also use lee's hand primer.

So,is all I need to do is upgrade the powder measure-what about the charge bar or whatever lee calls it,do I need that?Get the extra turret and die set in the caliber I need and large and small priming system and I'm ready to go-or did I miss something? Thanks again

Oh yeah,I use a lot of unique and power pistol,any problems using these powders with the lee measure.

Last edited by kart racer; April 24, 2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old April 24, 2007, 06:29 PM   #14
tharmer

Don't know why you complain, Abstract. The Loadmaster priming system works perfectly for me. Were you getting jammed primers?
Old April 24, 2007, 08:34 PM   #15
ShootingNut

200+ rounds per hour

Really, I sure can't. Have to keep an eye on the powder drop, scale every so often as it can swing too much. The "finger tighten" instructions on the die and pro powder measure, loosens up and then things go wacky. Plus, the turret turns are not that exact, even after replacing parts.
Just can't see that many rounds on a Lee Classic Turret, turning out consistent quality loads.
Old April 24, 2007, 11:44 PM   #16
nass

Just finished at 150 per hour

I have just setup my Lee classic Turret press in the past few weeks. I churned out ~70 rounds during the load development phase and getting comfortable with the press in that time (had other life altering things going on, otherwise it would have been instantaneous).

I just got finished making 200 rounds for an upcoming practice and I was done in 1 hour, 20 minutes. That's a rate of 150 per hour in case your not a mathmetician.

I was scaling the powder drop every 15 rounds just to make sure it was in check. Never found it varying above .1 grains. Using the right powder (HP38/W231) helps that.

I figure I could do a bit better now that I have a groove, but that's pretty darn good for a first show. I wasn't racing against a clock, just going at it.
Old April 24, 2007, 11:47 PM   #17
cheygriz

Just get Dillon 650 and be done with it!
Old April 24, 2007, 11:50 PM   #18
nass

Quote:
The Kempf kit comes with the die set of your caliber choice included; I don't believe the Cabela's kit offers that. If you pencil it out on the individual items in each kit I believe you will find the Kempf kit is less expensive.
Actually I just checked, cause I'm anal about ordering stuff, and I remembered it the other way... The Kempf's kit is a whopping $1.87 more expensive (comparing apples to apples including the pro disk, powder scale, and both primer setups). It all comes down to tax and shipping differences.

I recall the real reason was that I could pick up the kit at the "local" Cabela's and not have to wait for Mr. Brown Truck.

I did notice that the turret press kit at Cabela's is on backorder, so.....
Old April 25, 2007, 07:45 AM   #19
zymurgest

Lee Classic Turret Press with the extras... priming system & pro powder drop..end of story !
Old April 25, 2007, 09:13 AM   #20
RERICK

Quote:
I appreciate the kind offer, but would dispute your evaluation of Lee's engineering prowess. I understand exactly how the Lee Loadmaster's priming system works, having loaded 50-60,000 rounds on a Loadmaster, before I bought a real press....a 650.
Maybe it's your mechanical ability prowess, Because my Loadmaster runs just fine
Old April 25, 2007, 12:56 PM   #21
HSMITH

Joe, old buddy, don't screw around on this. Get a Dillon 550. It is the best 'turret' you are going to find.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:34 PM   #22
cheygriz

Quote:
Joe, old buddy, don't screw around on this. Get a Dillon 550. It is the best 'turret' you are going to find.
Excellent advice. Although I prefer the 650, the 550 is truly outstanding, especially now that it's available with the case feeder.

If you ever use any reloader with a REAL case feeder, you'll never use anything else.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:35 PM   #23
benedict1

Best Buy, Safest Buy=Lee Classic Turret Press with Auto-Indexing

Quote:
Why spend all that money on a 550 and still have to turn the shell plate manually, always introducing the possibility of forgetting to rotate it in a moment of stress, and then double charging? There have been at least two instances of that on popular forums in the last two weeks. Auto-indexing whether it is turret or progressive reduces that dangerous possibility dramatically.

For well under 200 bucks he gets an auto-indexing press with the safest primer system in the market. And he can add another caliber, dies and turret, for $38.95 plus minor shipping from

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products...ion/index.html

As to loading rate, if you get bullets and cases organized and have an extra primer tray ready to go, 200 rounds per hour is quite easy to do. If you are having indexing problems you can adjust both the turret and your technique. Don't run the handle back to the stop point as you lower the ram in jerky, quick fashion. That causes the turret to accelerate too fast and it will overshoot the detent. Work it smoothly and firmly and the press will index perfectly.
Old April 25, 2007, 02:36 PM   #24
cheygriz

If he really wants a turret, there's the Redding T-Mag. It's the top of the line.
Old April 25, 2007, 02:50 PM   #25
benedict1

Not anymore. The Lee Classic Turret will perform just as well, or better and is made like a battleship. cheygriz , with all due respect, you are way out of date--