The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 18, 2007, 05:50 PM   #1
Luciano

Getting started in Practical Shooting/picking a Division

I want to start into Practical Shooting,USPSA most likely,and I'm trying to get a better view in perspective on how I should regard the different Divisions.
I've heared and read a lot of ---start with whatever you own---but I want a little more than that.I'd be willing to spend some money for a better start.Leaving the Open Division aside I'm beginning to think that if you do well in Productiun you can't be too far off in Limited or vice versa.Am I getting the wrong ideea?
Old February 18, 2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Lurper

What do you mean by "too far off"? Start by just shooting with whatever you have to see if you enjoy the sport. You are not going to be competitive right off the bat, so just enjoy it. If you want to spend some money, buy a limited gun, or if you own a 1911 shoot single stack.
Old February 18, 2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Luciano

...Not too far off-I'm thinking that people that do well in Production do well in Limited and vice versa.Am I correct?
Old February 18, 2007, 08:54 PM   #4
HSMITH

Yes, that is pretty much true. It is the indian, not the arrow. A good shooter is going to place well with just about any gun. Production is a great place to start, equipment costs aren't bad and it is a VERY competitive class in most clubs.
Old February 19, 2007, 10:26 AM   #5
9mm1033

I've been shooting for decades, but consider myself a novice competitive shooter starting in the production class. I don't know how well you shoot for speed and accuracy, but I've seen some very good shooters in production. All are using stock handguns. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't start in a higher class, but if one were to use baseball as an example, to advance to the majors, one usually starts in class A, than AA, AAA, etc. There are exceptions, but in this case, the dollar difference in the gun and equipment may be substantial. Just my opinion.
Old February 19, 2007, 05:33 PM   #6
rhgunguy

May I ask what guns do you currently have? That and how much are you looking to spend to get into the game? You have to remember that start-up costs include holster, mag pouches and mags.

Once we know what you have or want to spend we can help.
Old February 19, 2007, 11:59 PM   #7
Luciano

Right now I only have one gun that would be suited for action shooting-Taurus PT99,9mm.I'm researching past topics,looking for advice on something that makes the most sense for Production.It looks like a lot of people like Glocks.I was also looking at the CZ 75 SP-01 .
This is what I was beginning to understand too,it is the indian...
Spending 2k's or more would only put me in a higher dollar Divison not necessarily a less competitive or "easier" one.
I just wanted reassurance.
Old February 20, 2007, 06:55 AM   #8
Joe D

It is always the Indian. IMO the Glock 35 is hard to beat. It can be shot in Production, Limited, Lim 10, SSP and ESP. You can easily make Major PF with the gun. It is also softer shooting than a 9mm when downloaded to a Minor PF.
You really don't have to do much to the gun. I change the sights and do a trigger job. The stock barrel works just fine.
Old February 20, 2007, 07:14 AM   #9
HSMITH

The PT99 will work fine, if not great. I will be fielding one for some Production class shooting this year. Up till now I have used Glocks. I wanted to try a CZ but I can't reach the trigger for the first DA shot.
Old February 20, 2007, 09:07 AM   #10
9mm1033

Luciano,

Just for reference regarding cost. This is my set up for USPSA production. Slightly over $1000.00 total. The 9mm Sig P229 costs $500.00 used. Shipped back to the factory for new springs, cleaning, sights, etc. Changed the factory sights to new TFO optic sights. Five (5) new nickel MecGar magazines. Comp-Tac mag holders and a Blade-Tech holster. The cheapest item is the thick leather belt at $20.00. Hope this helps. Good luck to the both of us.

Old February 20, 2007, 11:52 AM   #11
XD Niner

Production is a very good choice for a new USPSA shooter unless you own a single stack. A Glock (35 is great). Others to consider are an XD-9 Tactical or S&W M&P. A full rig with any of these guns should cost less than $800. I have $725 invested in mine.

Shoot a dozen matches and talk to the veterans before making any major investments. That said, you may find it better to invest in a different new (or used) gun than your Taurus that is a bit more competitive. If you do use the Taurus, you may need to buy some additional mags (you'll want five total) and a holster that will not be useful if you later switch to a different gun.

My Production rig is:

XD-9 Tactical - $525 (trigger work can wait until later)
XD-9 Tactical mags (5, 3 came with gun) - $60
XD-9 Gear Holster (came with gun) - $60 if you want to replace it with a Blade Tech DOH
CR Speed Belt (this is by far the best way to go) - $50
CR Speed Versa Mag Pouches - $120 for four (or buy 2-3 and use a cheap Kydex double pouch which is what I did)
Old February 20, 2007, 12:46 PM   #12
eerw

Production is a great division to get your feet wet..as is Limited 10..

if you shop carefully and check the many forums out there..you can find some really good deals..

my best was a CZ75B, blade tech holster, two double mag pouches and 5 mags and a CR Speed belt for under $550 shipped to me.

good platforms to look for ..Glock, Beretta, CZ, Smith and Springfield..Sigs are good too..but harder to find a bargain on them..
Old February 21, 2007, 02:20 AM   #13
Luciano

Thanks a lot guys.Good stuff!...You answered questions that I had in mind but wanted to ask in a future topic:no.of mags nedeed and other parts of the rig.
Thanks for that pic 9mm1033.That's a nice looking set up.
I'm assuming that mag holders can be used with mags from different guns so I wouldn't need to get new ones when getting a diff gun.
I feel like I need to give Taurus a "chance" since I already have it so I'll go ahead and buy a cheaper holster that people have mentioned here:Fobus,Uncle Mike's or Blade tech's injection molded.

Qestions about mag capacity:is more rounds better?(for USPSA Production) if the mag holds 17 or 18 instead of 15?So one could get a gun in .40S&W and down load the ammo for it but still be somewhat impaired by the 2-3 less rounds that the mag holds?
Wha capacity mags should I get for my PT99?
Old February 21, 2007, 08:05 AM   #14
9mm1033

Quote:
I'm assuming that mag holders can be used with mags from different guns so I wouldn't need to get new ones when getting a diff gun.
Yes and no. The mag holders I have for my double stack P229 will also fit a P226 and my Walther P99. Best to double check beforehand.
Old February 21, 2007, 10:19 AM   #15
Jim Watson

Quote:
Qestions about mag capacity:is more rounds better?(for USPSA Production)
No.
In USPSA Production, you are limited to ten in the magazine (plus one in the chamber to start the stage.) If you can get Klinton Klips cheap, they will do fine, but a full capacity magazine with 11 in it to start the stage will be a convenience, so you don't have to fumble around "topping off."
Old February 22, 2007, 12:02 AM   #16
glockopop

Quote:
I'll go ahead and buy a cheaper holster that people have mentioned here:Fobus,Uncle Mike's or Blade tech's injection molded
Having used both for the PT92 I used to have, I strongly recommend either the UM or the Blade-Tech. I've used the UM and Blade-Tech injection molded for my G35 as well. The Fobus is not adjustable at all, and I've seen some that are like a vise and some that are downright sloppy. The UM and the BT are adjustable for a very wide range of uses from carry to competition. Both of them also sit further out on your belt and are a lot easier to get at in the heat of competition.
Old February 25, 2007, 10:15 PM   #17
Lycanthrope

OK. I have a $3000 Limited/L10 gun I shoot well (A class), but the best bang for the buck goes to the Glocks for about $500. Dave Sevigny won Limited this year with a Glock. Robbie won Production with a Springfield Xd, but he'd win with a Hi Point.

The Glock and the 1911/2011 dominate with the Springfield Xd and Smith and Wesson M&P being the up and coming "new thing".
Old February 26, 2007, 11:57 PM   #18
Luciano

Thanks again everyone!

Glockopop --the Uncle Mike's holster that you used for the PT92 was the Kydex belt holster,open top design,right?It seems to only be available for Berretta 92 and 96 but it will most likely fit the PT99 too.
Old February 27, 2007, 08:07 AM   #19
HSMITH

I have an UM for the Beretta and it doesn't fit the 99 well at all, I haven't taken the time to see what is not right or to fix it, but just know that it might take some tinkering to get it to work right.
Old February 28, 2007, 12:05 AM   #20
Luciano

Hm,thanks HSMITH that was good info before I went and bought one.
Old February 28, 2007, 08:35 PM   #21
sdj

It's A LOT of fun...

Luciano:

I was very surprised by how much fun shooting IDPA (to which I am new) turned out to be. I shoot an out-of-the box, full-sized 1911. At this point, I'm competing against myself, but I learn a great deal each time I go out.

Safe shooting!