The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2000, 02:03 PM   #1
rhetor

I'm looking for a cast bullet for shooting reduced loads in a .375 H&H Ruger No.1. Lazer-Cast makes a 38-55 cal. 240 g RN FP BB cast bullet that is sized .377. The Lyman reloading manual lists their cast loads as being sized at .375. Any thoughts on the extra .002 on this bullet? The Lazer-Cast tech guy who answered the phone didn't know if the bullet would work, but agreed to send me some samples. I know 45LC loads are sized between .452 and .454 and the size difference doesn't matter. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old October 11, 2000, 06:25 PM   #2
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Haven't used them myself but Bear Tooth Bullets has an excellent reputation. I think 0.3750" is correct for the .38-55, at least those made in the last 50 years or so. You need that extra 0.002" with your H&H, without it you get gas blow-by around the bullet and that's really hard on barrels even at plinking load pressures. Since the bullet won't seal the bore super hot gases leak around the bullet a high speed (perhaps Mach 3 or 4) which causes "flame" errosion. Gases sealed behind a bullet don't move very fast (only as fast as the bullet). In most rifles flame errosion is ussally only a problem at the chamber's throat where some blow-by is normal. -- Kernel

[This message has been edited by Kernel (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old October 13, 2000, 01:56 AM   #3
Paul B.

Jim. I use the RCBS 37-250GC in my .375X338 and .375 H&H magnums. I size the bullets to .379 and both rifles shoot good groups with the loads. I use an alloy of 10 pounds of wheel weights and one pound linotype. The bullets are hard enough as is, that they don't lead the barrel, and can be heat treated to nearly 30 BHN, should I desire that much hardness.
If you want the load, (I use the same load in both rifles.) E-mail me for it. I don't post loads on forums.
Paul B.