The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2004, 09:33 AM   #1
dogfood

Anyone using Nitro 100 or E*3 for pistol?

I'm looking for a different powder for .38 Special target loads. I have been trying to walk the fine line between decent metering in the powder measure ... while still trying to maintain a fairly high load density. After some extensive experimentation, I realize this is a difficult proposition with small powder charges.

Up until now, I have been using Green Dot, as it seemed to be the "bulkiest" of the powders that would give me fair repeatability from my Lee powder measure. However, I shoot falling plates year-round, and temperature variations change the point of impact with Green Dot.

Green Dot is single-base, while E*3 and Nitro 100 (as well as many others) are double-base, which should give better temperature stability ... in theory. So, if anyone has any experience with either of these in a target pistol application, please let me know. Experience with other bulky powders in the same range are also welcome.

Thanks,
dogfood
Old October 23, 2004, 07:58 PM   #2
griz

I've used it for low powered cowboy loads. It worked as well as most. It has medium sized flakes and meters about as well as Bullseye or Unique. I don't know how it does with regards to temperature or full power loads. Never tried E-3.
Old October 24, 2004, 05:41 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

Nitro 100

Began using it in 45 ACP 'target' ammo for its clean burn and more importantly, its reduced recoil 'feel'.
Accurate through my guns.
Didn't care for its metering properties.
Low smoke.

Haven't tried it much in any other calibers.

Still using it occasionally in 45 ACP.