The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 18, 2000, 02:21 PM   #1
Mr. Pub

Does anyone use a butt cuff on their shotgun?

What kind do you use? Do you like it?

thank you.
Old October 18, 2000, 03:37 PM   #2
Dave T

During my law enforcement career I carried an 870 fitted with a Cold Comfort from Milt Sparks. It is a lace on butt cuff that holds eight rounds. I always carried 7 rounds because the front round hit my wrist in recoil.
I have a nylon six round butt cuff from Quartermaster Sales on my M3 S90.
I prefer them to side saddle carriers which, to me, unballance the gun more than butt cuffs. YMMV.

------------------
Dave T
PCSD Ret
AMBUSCADE
Arizona CCW and Renewal Classes
Tactical Self -defense training.
[email protected]
Old October 18, 2000, 03:52 PM   #3
Icopy

I use them on my Mossy and Rem 870. It helps retain the natural balance of the gun. One tip: if you use the inexpensive elastic slip-on ones, use duct tape around the elastic to keep it on the butt stock. Otherwise, they have a tendency to slip.
Old October 18, 2000, 05:08 PM   #4
Captain Bligh

What Icopy said. I have an Uncle Mike's elastic on my 870. It always slips forward and is a nuisance for not holding in place. I'd like to find a better product. Advice?

RJ
Old October 18, 2000, 10:06 PM   #5
PJR

Having tried the side saddle, the butt cuff is my choice for spare loads. You can load from the butt cuff with your right hand leaving the left to hold the gun on target. The side saddle requires you to hold the gun with the right or reach across the gun to access the ammo.

The butt cuff does slip but but a small strip of duct tape will hold it steady. It looks like hell but I don't actually care what it looks like as long as it works. I'm currently using an Uncle Mike's.
Old October 19, 2000, 01:08 AM   #6
Bennett Richards

BlackHawk Industries makes a GREAT buttCuff.
Holds 6-7 rounds or more if you get the bigger component. The great thing about their design is that the holder base velcros on and the shell holders can be ripped right off to be replaced with a new full one, a different capacity or a component which holds grenades. Totally modular.

Great design.

ben
Old October 19, 2000, 02:10 AM   #7
point308

I use the Uncle Mike's elastic butt cuff on my mossberg pump. I put the sling mount screw through it to hold it in place. I like it.

point308
Old October 19, 2000, 06:43 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Butt cuffs get in the way of fast handling, for me at least. BIG forearm. The elastic and velcro jobs not only slip around, but can twist enough in recoil to hinder a fast grab for ammo, according to a friend with one.

If it works for you, Huzzah! Just be sure to practice with it....
Old October 19, 2000, 09:03 AM   #9
LIProgun

I use a butt cuff to supplement the sidesaddle. I stopped the movement of the cuff by making a small hole in the bottom of the cuff and passing the sling swivel stud through the hole.

With respect, PJR's comment does not make sense to me. During a tactical reload, the object is to keep a firing grip on the weapon. For a right-handed shooter, this means keeping the right hand on the grip, trigger finger alongside the trigger guard or receiver. The left hand is free to take shotshells from the sidesaddle and insert them into the shotgun while the sights remain on target, and the shooting hand remains ready to fire. There is no need to reach across the gun as the weak hand does the reloading.

With the butt cuff, the shooting grip is typically disturbed during a reload. A right handed shooter needs to put the shells on the right side of the buttstock so he can get a cheekweld on the stock. That means one would have to either ackwardly reach back under the gun and use the left hand to extract shells, or disturb the firing grip by using the right hand to remove shells.

The sidesaddle also allows the shotgun to remain in the shoulder pocket, or at least under the arm, when reloading. Using a butt cuff for a tac reload often forces the shooter to move the gun away from the body, reducing the ability to fire while reloading if necessary, or at least slowing the process of getting the gun back into action after reloading.
Old October 19, 2000, 10:24 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

At first I thought I had strayed onto the sexual perversions board.... Odd title, to say the lest.

I use an Uncle Mike's on mine, a Smith & Wesson 3000 Police. I'm not crazy about it.

I'm considering looking for a leather or nylon sling with ammo loops on it. No need for the military style sling which holds what, 14 shells? I think 5 or 8 would be plenty.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!
Old October 19, 2000, 10:40 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Adding ammo to the sling,Mike,is suspending a lb of more of weight a foot below the shotgun and letting it swing as you shoot. The pendulum effect may throw off the aim big time.

Better is a shell belt, worn around the waist or thrown over a shoulder, bandito style.
Old October 19, 2000, 06:15 PM   #12
hksigwalther

I've got one of those slip on elastic ones on a 590 and hate the slipping forward under recoil action. As Dave said, Eagle makes a similar ammo holder with velcro straps that can be tightened plus there is one that fits around the back end of the stock to keep it from creeping forward. I've been meaning to get one but it's low in priority. They can be bought from Dillon for $22.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/

------------------
- Ron V.
Old October 19, 2000, 09:13 PM   #13
PJR

LIProgun

I've used both and found a smoother reload and more control of the gun by holding the gun against my shoulder with my left hand and reloading with my firing hand. I never felt I had adequate control of the gun by loading with my left from a side saddle. I suppose it's what you get used to.
Old October 19, 2000, 09:57 PM   #14
Jeff, CA

I keep mine from moving forward by loosening the recoil pad screws about 1/8", letting the edge of the cuff curl over the rear edge of the stock (into the 1/8" gap), and retightening the pad screws. Clamps it just fine. I also cut a hole for the sling swivel stud, but that's not for keeping the cuff from moving.

The way I was taught was to hold the gun against the shoulder with the firing hand and use the support hand to manage ammunition. At the range, it's tactical reloads from a shell belt with the support hand, and slug selects from the butt cuff, also with the support hand (rounds inserted and removed from the bottom).

Old October 19, 2000, 10:22 PM   #15
Captain Bligh

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff, CA:
[B]I keep mine from moving forward by loosening the recoil pad screws about 1/8", letting the edge of the cuff curl over the rear edge of the stock B][/quote]

Now that's the best innovative idea I've read here in a month.

RJ

[This message has been edited by Captain Bligh (edited October 20, 2000).]
Old October 20, 2000, 01:14 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Dave,

My shotgun isn't for offensive/movement work, it's for barricade work.

I don't have any family at home, so if someone breaks into my house, I hunker down behind the bed, bedroom door locked, call police, and let the badguys come to me. If they cross the bedroom threshhold, it's showtime.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!
Old October 20, 2000, 02:08 PM   #17
manny1

I use the ones made by MilTech on all of my shotguns. They are made from nylon & have an elastic "T" that fits over the butt end. The forward elastic strap is retained by velcro. You get a real nice tight fit without it sliding forward. They hold 6 shells. I tried the sleeve types in the past & imo they just don't work. Hope this info helps.
Old October 22, 2000, 09:24 AM   #18
STEVE M

I use the one Dillon's sales (can't remember the brand.) on my Baretta 1201. It does not slip at all once you get it adjusted right. A nother nice feature is that the straps are adjustable so they close flush with nothing to flop around and snag.
Old October 22, 2000, 10:17 AM   #19
Patrick Graham

I've got a Bagmaster buttcuff on my Mossberg. It's ok. I ran the swivel screw through it to keep it from sliding up. It's been on for about 13 years now and the elastic is getting weak. I'll need to replace it soon, any suggestions?????
Old November 22, 2000, 01:17 PM   #20
Mr. Pub

Butt cuff update

I bought and installed a Uncle Mikes elastic butt cuff. I used the tips suggested here at Shotgun TFL - slipping a little under the recoil pad and cutting a hole for the sling nub. It works great.

I would avoid the the Uncle Mikes butt cuff with the wrap around cover. The problem is the wrap around cover is square while the stock butt is sort of triangular. So the cover doesn't fit right when pulled over and velco-ed down. I bought it originally and returned it for the regular non-cover version.
Old November 22, 2000, 02:14 PM   #21
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the update, Pub. It's still not my thing, but I can see how it works for others not cursed with my physiognomy.

I kinda wonder why there's not been a synthetic stock made with say, a 6 round capacity shell holder where the wood's widest near the butt. Maybe they figure the Speedfeed stock has it covered.