The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2002, 08:54 PM   #1
mdlowry

What is gascheck?

I've seen the term around, and I was wondering what it is. What is the purpose of it?
Old May 13, 2002, 09:43 PM   #2
swifter...

Think of it as a very short jacket. Covers the base of a cast bullet, extends maybe 1/10" up the sides.
Some folks fondly believe they prevent hot gases from cutting up the sides/base of a lead bullet. Sometimes they work, too.
Tom
Old May 14, 2002, 09:24 AM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Too, the cast bullet must be designed to accept a gas check. The bullet base is slightly less in diameter than the rest of the bullet. You can't realistically stick a gas check on a bullet with a full-caliber base (although I'm sure someone will prove me wrong - lots of "home-gardening" with reloaders).

Coupla kinds: Hornady's got one (I've never used it) that is similar in use/different in stickin' in on (?), but different than Lyman's which gets crimped onto the bullet base during the sizing operation.
Old May 14, 2002, 10:19 AM   #4
Steve Smith

The Hornady is a press fit onto the bottom of a GC bullet. When yourun the bullet through the sizer, you put the bullet in position, and press the GC onto the bullet base a little. Then you run the ram and it presses the GC onto the base. If you're pushing lead really fast you'll usually need them.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old May 14, 2002, 04:56 PM   #5
Contender

All very good responses:

A gas check is, in effect, an increase in bullet base hardness to prevent the bullet base area from deforming and overcoming the film strength of the bullet lube with the heavier loads.

It also can be thought of as a "wrench" to engage the barrel rifling and prevent stripping in the bore with heavy loads.

Regards