The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2002, 05:31 PM   #1
nova

rifle vs. slug barrel

I was just thinking, why would someone spend the money on a slug barrel for their shotgun when they can get a rifle(270, 30-06, 7mm, etc) for the same money? I know some states won't allow rifles so this isn't meant for you guys, but wouldn't a rifle be more acurate? I don't mean to put anyone down for what they want to buy with their own money, but I was just wondering. Thanks
Old February 6, 2002, 08:33 PM   #2
JosephBoeckner

hmm

think of the size of a slug and the size of a popular caliber-308 7.62x39 etc etc-theres a HGUE difference in the size and some people like to use shotguns as a self defence weapon... or some just like to shoot them in competitions/for fun shooting. Theres lots of games u can play with them.. and i bought some just for target practice while my little brothers are shooting air rifles/22's.
Old February 6, 2002, 08:59 PM   #3
stinger

different strokes for different folks.

like you said, some areas only allow hunting with shotguns, so a rifle would only sit in the pickup. at shorter distances (ie less than 100 yards) a proficient shotgunner is just as accurate as a proficient rifleman.

i use rifles and shotguns, just depends where i am and what i'm in the mood for.
Old February 6, 2002, 09:00 PM   #4
stinger

also, a new barrel is considerably less expensive than a new rifle.
Old February 7, 2002, 06:03 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've done lots of hunting with slugs,and all else equal,I'd grab a rifle under MOST circumstances.

But, nearly every place I hunt is restricted to shotguns and M/Ls. I like both, but a 30-30 or '06 is a wonderful food gathering tool.

I can think of one hunt where I could use a rifle and chose a shotgun. We were hunting near Blackwater on the Shore. The rain started about 90 minutes before the season did, and I grabbed what's now my HD 870 instead of a near new condition pre 64 Model 70 in 30-06. I set up near sone trails, and Brenneked a 6 point yearling by 7:30.

A bud set up nearby with his ancient and well loved 94(Circa 1916) and took a monster Sika bull that same day.Similar shot distance and results.