The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 26, 2017, 01:48 PM   #1
dubsRedhawk

Speed loader recommendation for Ruger LCR in .357

I've heard that these little 5 shots get pretty tight when it comes to speed loaders. I want to start carrying an extra 5 rounds but don't want to be fighting a reload if I'm in a tough spot.

Any proven loaders for this gun?
Old January 26, 2017, 03:51 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

I've used the HKS, the 5 star, and the Longwitz SL Variant which is top of the line.
The Variant SL works the fastest as it shoots the reloads into the chambers, but the clearance is critical and it doesn't work unless some of the grips are modified.
Also, these are more rare than hens teeth, so pretty much out of the picture. Next, the 5 star seems the most solid in holding the rounds and work pretty much like the HKS, and they are aluminum and work on all I grips I've used. The HKS work fine, but drop rounds in the pouch sometimes.

The 5 star fits nicely into the split belt type speed loader case, so provides a minimal print.
Old January 27, 2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Isk

I use the 5 Star speed loaders for my LCR in .38 special. They are light, small and can easily be thrown in a pocket. Not to mention, they aren't all that expensive. I don't have any problems using them to reload. My LCR has the standard grips and the 5 Star loaders slip right by them.
Old January 27, 2017, 02:55 PM   #4
dubsRedhawk

Thanks guys! I know clearance is an issue to I will look into these!
Old January 27, 2017, 09:20 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I had a 357 LCR - traded it in on a S,with Model 36 J frame. I used speed loaders though on the LCR - and yes, it can be tight The trick is to angle it in to the cylinder and release - with practice you can learn to drop 'em right in without a problem.

The speed losers I had purchased for m LCR are marked HKS 35.

I kept them as they work on my Smith 36 J frame, but actually, I much prefer carrying either a single or a double "drop pouch" as for my CCW purposes, the drop pouch is flat on the belt and doesn't stick out like a speed loader pouch. In my normal single drop pouch I can fit 7 cartridges in.

My biggest problem with the speed loaders I have is that once the cartridges are locked in, all it taks is a turn of the knob and they drop. I just went in and checked the two I have which were loaded and in a double nylon belt pouch with velcro retained nylon flap covers. I reached in, gently grabbed the knob which is what you would do if needed, and when I pulled the speed loader out - the cartridges remained in the pouch. Maybe a different brand of speed loader would work better - but I personally don't trust the ones I have just because it doesn't take much of a turn of the knob and the cartridges drop.

I've tried strip speed loaders - speed strips - and I didn't care for them either. That's why I pesonally prefer a drop pouch - chances are I would never be in a SD situation that required a reload - but the single pouch does give me another cylinder full (5) plus a spare 2.

I'd suggest that before you buy a speed loader, it might be a good idea to go to a LGS and have them show you what they have so you could try them out. Everybody has different preferences and different things that work best for them. Best of luck to you!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Last edited by bedbugbilly; January 27, 2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old January 28, 2017, 09:57 AM   #6
WyMark

I also use and like the 5-Star with my LCR .357. Works great, very light and compact and easy to carry in a pocket or belt pouch.