The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2015, 06:03 PM   #1
06shooter

Resizing ?

When setting the shoulder back just enough to chamber a case , is the case neck only being partially sized ? ( typical RCBS FL die ) (3006 bolt )

What about a Neck sizing die , will a shoulder touch if it was taken down any lower ?

Thanks , 06

Last edited by 06shooter; May 26, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old May 26, 2015, 06:07 PM   #2
waveslayer

when you use a neck sizing die you are resizing the necks to a specific demension. depending on how much "grip" you want on the bullet called neck tension.

you are always resizing the case neck even if you are just bumping the shoulder back.

this all depends on what gun you are shooting this out of... a semi, full length sizing die is a must! bolt action and precision you can get away with neck sizing only, just watch the overall case length
Old May 26, 2015, 06:48 PM   #3
06shooter

Thanks wave slayer , I've been reading about necks being partially sized when setting the shoulders back to the minimum.
I just want to see what the folks here have to say .

My dies are decreasing case necks to .002" ( I D ) for neck tension.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Partial neck sizing usually refers to pushing the case into the sizing die just far enough to size the neck most, but not all the way to the shoulder. The idea is to leave a little of the expanded neck from the last firing to help center the bullet in the chamber. The shoulder is not set back at all when you do this, as the shoulder never gets far enough forward in the die to touch it. If you set shoulders back in a standard die, the neck is being fully resized every time.

To get a partially resized neck plus shoulder setback, you have to size the neck part way first, then set the shoulder back in a separate body die that is too wide at the neck to resize it. Redding makes body dies. A full-length resizing bushing die with the neck bushing removed will also do this.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 27, 2015, 11:39 AM   #5
06shooter

Thank you Mr . Nick for the clarification !
Old May 28, 2015, 09:53 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Dies have gone the way of wrestling. In the old days in wrestling there was the step over toe hold with the half Nelson. I do not know if one wrestler had a step over toe hold and the other was using the half Nelson.

I have full length sizing dies, I can use it to neck size a case by adjusting the die off the shell holder to avoid contact with the shoulder. To accomplish this method I adjust the die off the shell holder with a feeler gage. When I want to avoid returning the case back to minimum length/full length size I can adjust the die off the shell holder with a feeler gage.

I have forming dies, I have small base dies, I have neck sizing dies, I do not use them but I have them just in case.

F. Guffey
Old May 30, 2015, 11:48 AM   #7
mehavey

Quote:
When setting the shoulder back just enough...
Once the normal resizing die touches the shoulder at all, the neck is already fully resized.

(You agree UncleNick?)
Old May 30, 2015, 11:59 AM   #8
06shooter

Thanks guys for the help , it's been confirmed.
The necks are being fully sized in the FL die.

Thanks again . 06