The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2014, 11:05 PM   #1
tollys103079

RCBS Lockout or Dillon Powder Gauge

I am unsure which one of these to get. For the last three years I simply fill my tray with 50 rounds and visually verify that they all have powder and I do not have any double charges. But since I am moving to a dillon 650 I want something besides just my eyeballing it.

Any advice is great.
Old February 11, 2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Rico567

I use a Dillon 650. The Dillon powder alert device seemed to me needlessly complex, so I tried the RCBS Lock-Out Die. The RCBS die isn't that hard to set up, and it works, but it's always important to understand that these devices only check for an empty case or one that has way too much powder (probably a double-charge). If your powder charge is off, believe me, you'll know, because the Lock-Out Die is well named. The press handle will stop dead, so there's no need for any alarm. While this is important, it in no way removes the need to regularly check the powder charge being thrown on a properly calibrated scale.

NB: I have quit using even the Lock-Out Die. I decided that if I'm devoting 100% of my attention (which I do, and should be doing) to the reloading process, any such thing as the Dillon or RCBS powder check devices are simply redundant. I have a small battery powered LED light that clamps to the press and is focused on the #3 station, where the charged case rotates after the powder drop in station #2. I can then see the powder level in each case as it goes by.

- Mark Twain
Old February 11, 2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Peter M. Eick

The lock out die works well, but as is pointed out above, it is not good at a few tenths either way. I use it on my pro2000 on every round. I still try to load with powders that would spill if doubled, so my goal is to catch the under loads.

They are pretty simple to set up. Get one and use it for a while and see what you think. I use it and recommend it.
Old February 11, 2014, 08:15 PM   #4
ranchito457

I use the RCBS on my Hornady LNL-Had a squib load a few years back-Bought the rcbs lock out die and eyeball every round as it goes through the LNL now.I won't load without it anymore.But like the others have said unless its a no charge or double charge it won't do a thing..
Old February 11, 2014, 10:42 PM   #5
dickttx

As Ranchito said, it primarily works on very under or over charged loads, but that is what I want it for.
I too use it on a LnL AP, as an additional check. Primarily I set my measure for the load I want, second, I check that weight with a scale before I actually start reloading and periodically during the loading session. Most importantly, I look at the powder level in every case before I set the bullet, AFTER it has passed the Lock-out die. I also would not load without it. Nor, would I load without any of those other steps.
Assuming the loaded round will chamber, there is really nothing that can be dangerous with a reload but powder. So I attempt to take advantage of every method I can to make sure the powder charge is safe.
If someone comes up with an additional method I will probably use that in addition.
Old February 12, 2014, 02:50 AM   #6
GTOne

I use a 650, and I might be in a minority, but there are several things to track with each pull and push(never forget the push). I wouldn't load without a lock out die(Or powder check, RCBS lock out is handgun only). I have a AC powered LED light clamped to the press, so I'm watching too, watching everything. You really need to pay attention, any progressive magnifies your mistakes.
I am set up for 9mm, but have another measure, with conversions for 45 acp and .223.
GSI bullet feeder in 9mm/45.(awesome)
I never have fun running it, but I really appreciate its awesomeness. I only grin when I'm done and have a bin or bins full of ammo.

When I want to relax I load whatever I'm not set up for on the 650 on my LCT. I'm almost always in a happy mood reloading on it.

Smooth is slow and slow is fast.
Old February 12, 2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Real Gun

I have tried both on the LnL AP, which has the case at the front station for bullet placement, making it easy to look into the case, if standing. The station is now occupied by the Redding Dual Ring Carbide Sizer die. I don't miss the powder check, because I always look.

However, on the Dillon the bullet placement is at a different station, so that machine would benefit from an RCBS Lockout Die. The Powder Cop Die is passive and requires a glance for every round, so I couldn't recommend it.
Old February 12, 2014, 04:15 PM   #8
BigJimP

I have a 650 ....and I really like the Dillon powder check die ....its easy to use and alerts on variations as little as 0.1 grain depending on which powder you're using.

I have a Halogen light focused on my press / a small "dentists type" mirror - automotive flex mirror mounted on my press so I can easily look into the case as it goes between stations 3 and 4 (where bullet is seated)...and I can't see variations of 0.2 grains ...inside a case / so powder check die is critical in my opinion.

I wouldn't operate the press without the powder check die installed....its a great extra sense of security that everything is working right.
---------
Some friends have and use the RCBS lockout ...but I don't see any advantage to using it...